Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Little switches?? (Read 6544 times)
maprik
Verified Member

Little switches??
09/29/11 at 03:38:20

Hi,

I'm a new owner of an SE34i.2+.  I LOVE IT!  What are the two little switches in front of the EL34 tubes.  I know I like the sound better when they are forward but what are they doing?

Thanks!

Phil

p.s. I'm using Klipsch Forte II speakers and the sound is simply incredible.... and I've been on the audio merry-go-round for 15 years and have owned many expensive amps and speakers!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Little switches??
Reply #1 - 09/29/11 at 05:56:38

Nice amp alright! I loved mine. Those little metal switches are for bias. Back is more neutral, and forward gives a bias hit making the sound a bit bigger and richer across the spectrum. Sound like what you are hearing? I found myself switching them as a tool for adjusting to different recording qualities.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
maprik
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/29/11 at 21:47:38

Thanks!  Yes, switches back sounds leaner, maybe better for rocking out?  Forward is just so much more lush and full bodied.Quite a clear difference between the 2 settings.  So running the switches forward runs them hotter and will reduce the life of my tubes? Would that be helped if when the amp is in standby mode I also switch the bias down?  Just curious...  

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 09/30/11 at 02:35:30

No worries about tube life, the tube are not run hard and the difference in bias is negligible.  Glad you're enjoying it!

Welcome to the family.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
maprik
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 09/30/11 at 20:05:46

Thanks Steve, I can't believe it took me so many years to find my way here!  I have listened to more music in the past week than I have in the past year. Seriously, thanks to the SE34I.2+.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print