Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 20:36:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii with Tekton Design Lore (Read 1460 times)
Don W

Mini Torii with Tekton Design Lore
09/27/11 at 23:49:42

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Mini Torii. The speaker I'm most interested in to go with it is the very efficient Tekton Design Lore. Does anyone have experience with this speaker?

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Mini Torii with Tekton Design Lore
Reply #1 - 09/28/11 at 22:27:11

TEKTONS are good, but I would look for a DECWARE product to complement the Mini.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Don W

Reply #2 - 09/29/11 at 06:22:46

Well, frankly I've been afraid of the Decware line because of the sensitivity rating listed in spec sheet which for most models doesn't seem so good. The web site for Mini Torii says a speaker with 96db sensitivity is ideal, but the Zen Ziglers, for example, are rated 94db. I don't understand; it seems like a contradiction to say the two are a perfect match. Now, I have been reading the postings on the Zigler speaker forum and there seems to be total agreement that these speakers are fantastic with Decware low power amps.

So my question is how can that be? Will they play loud enough? Will they sound good when played very soft? What does speaker sensitivity really mean, anyway? The Tekton Lores have published sensitivity of 98db. One line of logic would sugest because of that they are more ideal match for Mini Torii than the Ziglers. Why isn't this true?

Decware: Taboo, CSP2+, Mini-Torii, MG944, ERR, Zen Styx, DSR-II interconnects, DHC-1 power cables. Other: Audeze LCD-3 w/ Q cables, EE Mini-Max DAC Plus, Audio-gd SA-1 DAC, Audio-gd DI-DSP USB to Coaxial converter. Homemade PC with JRiver Media Center.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 09/29/11 at 12:10:19

Welcome!

Well, one reason is the crossover design. The crossover is a very simple design in the Decware and Zen Ziegler speakers, it doesn't "drain" a lot of power. The speakers present a manageable load to the amplifiers. It's possible to have a very efficient speaker with a complicated crossover that will not perform as loudly as one might think.

Another factor is room size. I used to drive my Radial RL1s and RL2s with a Select and then an Integrated and the sound was marvelous and loudness quite sufficient in my dedicated listening room, which was not large. When I was able to move the system out into my living-room/dining-room area, considerably larger (yay! Its' better than a dedicate room) I could not achieve loudness levels I needed for video and music. Moving to the Torii was the answer for me then. I never once thought of getting another pair of speakers; the speakers Bob builds are going to be in my systems all the time. They're that good.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/29/11 at 23:58:50

I had a pair of Tektons and sold them. These were not the ones you are mentioning. However, a lot of the single driver speakers suffer from a quality known as "shoutiness." This is a word that Mr. Deckert apparently coined, but when I read it in one of his papers I immediately thought of the TEKTONS I had sold. They were nice, but "shouty." The DECWARE speakers minimize this shoutiness quality found in some of the other single drivers.

Won't get loud enough, eh? Are you kidding me? I have a Mini Torii with MG944 speakers and it would get ear splitting loud if I turned it up enough. As it is I only turn it up a small amount and it gives more than enough volume. At lower volumes there is detail (in volumes!).

You are agonizing over published specs that have nothing to do with how the loudspeaker will perform and sound to your own ears.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Don W

Reply #5 - 09/30/11 at 00:22:00

I rekon "ear splitting" would be loud enough!

RR, I believe it was you who said he prefers the Taboo as headphone amp for Audeze over Mini Torii, because of Lucid Mode. So how about as driver for the Zen Zieglers? Which do you prefer and why, if I may ask?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/30/11 at 11:57:22

My amps do not have headphone modifications so I am not the one who chimed in on a preference for either one.

I have MG944 (now known as Zen Zeiglers) with my Mini Torii and the combination is just fine.

55   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 09/30/11 at 18:48:11

I have found relief for 'shout' to some degree with the 'Gizmo' sold by Decware. I am sure it works better on some speakers than others, but maybe the Tekton would be a candidate. This is the same device used with the FRX drivers, but equipped with a variable load(potentiometer).

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
brians7
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 10/25/11 at 07:41:38

The Mini works good with my speakers. they use the same woffer. The wires no longer come out the port. I was working out the crossover.
   http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm24/brians7/PictureorVideo001.jpg

IP Logged
Don W

Reply #9 - 10/25/11 at 12:15:56

Just to follow up on this post, I have ended up with a pair of MG-944  speakers I bought used from a seller on this forum and have a Taboo with headphone mod and vcaps on order. I do a lot of headphone listenning and the Taboo just edged out the Mini Torii because of Lucid Mode.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/26/11 at 00:25:07

Now all that you need is a CSP2+ which you can alternate headphone listening with and use to boost the TABOO to its full potential.

55   IP Logged
Don W

Reply #11 - 10/26/11 at 01:04:40

I'm going to try it without the CSP2 for awhile and see how it goes. I talked with Steve about it before making my decision and he says that with the vcaps the Taboo is good without a pre-amp if the source is at least 2V which mine is. That's not to say it wouldn't be nice to have a CSP2, just that it might not be necessary. According to Steve, the Taboo is more transparent without the CSP2, while, on the other hand, the CSP2 has a way of "fixing" the digital overtones of a source DAC serving MP3s. I've got a really (I hope) nice DAC on the way which I am excited to hear with the Taboo and do direct comparison with my Burson HA-160D. It is the dB Audio Labs Tranquility SE (that I found used for a great price.) I'll keep you all posted when the Taboo gets here...

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/26/11 at 12:37:03

A ZBOX would also fix digital overtones, but would not provide an alternate headphone option or preamp function.

It is true that the TABOO is most transparent alone, however, if you voice the CSP2+ with the proper tubes it can become more neutral.

My TABOO also has V caps in it and it works fine without a preamp.

55   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 10/28/11 at 00:11:02

Seems to me:
1. The CSP2+ will give you a seocndary headphone option along with the Taboo, but likely offer the most additional, though likely pleasing, coloration, over which you will have much control;
2. The ZBOX will soften the digital edge of an incoming digital source, but will offer no gain, and is not likely to make a Taboo sound any better with whatever headphones you like;
3. The ZSTAGE will allow the Taboo to truly blossom [as it does with my Audez'e LCD-2 cans], but won't offer a secondary headphone outlet. The ZSTAGE may be simplest of all to voice in that respect. I have run my Taboo through one of my ERR pairs just for fun, and volume was not a shortcoming, and that was without the ZSTAGE [mine is being sent to gatornavy]. I tried it with and without the Ultra, and it got plenty loud.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print