03/29/24 at 10:10:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Emission Labs 5U4G (Read 8911 times)
Strat-Pack
Ex Member

Emission Labs 5U4G
09/25/11 at 04:17:19

Anyone using these in their Torii amps? I heard this rectifier in the context of a Modwright Transporter and was very impressed with it's qualities.

What other 5U4G rectifiers are others using and can recommend?

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: Emission Labs 5U4G
Reply #1 - 09/25/11 at 10:34:09

I think I posted something about these a while back in the form of a similar question. Haven't tried one, and seem a tad expensive given the very nice qualities and reasonable prices on both current and NOS tubes. I have tried Winged C black plates, 1950s-60s RCA, Raytheon, 1950s-70s Svetlana, a variety of different Mullards (running a GZ37, I believe, in my Taboo right now), and Sylvanias. I keep coming back to the RCAs. Very nice, with the Svets a close second.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/25/11 at 12:34:05

If I am not mistaken the "Emission Labs" 5U4G is just a gussied up Chinese tube. Any US or European 5U4 would do better. Somebody here did a detailed rectifier shootout and concluded that Tung Sol was the one.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Gopher
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/25/11 at 17:22:54

Is that so?  I have a buddy who owned a MW Transporter w/ EL rect and he still gushes to me about how they'll smoke my RCAs and I need to try 'em.

I take it all with a grain of salt as he's of the 'never satisfied, latest and greatest, buying the hype/drinking the kool-aid' variety, but I'm moderately curious.

IP Logged
Strat-Pack
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/25/11 at 20:19:41

Thanks guys. The Emission Labs products are manufactured in the Czech Republic and are a beautifully made product which is reflected in the price. Not cheap, I know  :'(

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/25/11 at 20:55:41

I am pretty sure Gopher and Strat-Pack are right. I don't believe the EL tubes are just relabeled Chinese tubes. And at $230 for a rectifier, they sure shouldn't be, and at $230, they should smoke the RCA NOS rectifiers. But until someone pops one in a Decware amp, we won't know if that is the case in a Decware amp. And if the EL does smoke the NOS competition, then for someone, I am sure it will be worth it.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print