Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 18:29:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dodd Audio Tube Buffer (Read 8936 times)
Gopher
Ex Member

Dodd Audio Tube Buffer
09/21/11 at 03:16:55

Anyone looking for a good preamp solution for their Toriis should make sure to check out the Dodd buffer.  Its available in kit form pretty cheaply and sounds damn good with the Torii.  

Compared to running the Torii naked I gain in soundstage width and depth, get a splash more sweetness and resolution and it MAY be a little more dynamic.  

Its just a buffer and has no gain of its own and I recognize the changes I'm experiencing may be just impedance correction rather than what one would experience with an active pre, but two friends suggested it to me--one with a Torii 3 and one with a Mini-Torii, so I'm not alone in liking the pairing.  

http://doddaudio.com/diy.aspx

The single input/single output kit is a laughable $150.  Definitely worth checking out, IMO, though I'm using the full kit.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: Dodd Audio Tube Buffer
Reply #1 - 09/21/11 at 06:35:08

Thanks Gopher. Had seen the Dodd stuff before, but didn't know of, or couldn't recall,  anyone who had built one. I noticed they plan to sell their assembled buffer for $1595, a tad more than a ZBOX or ZSTAGE. Heck, even an unassembled full Dodd kit is not much cheaper than either Decware option, but it does appear to have some additional flexibility.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
seank
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/21/11 at 17:45:29

Was it difficult to build?  What else did you need to build it?  I don't see a case or power supply.

IP Logged
Gopher
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/22/11 at 01:04:11

Its supposed to be extremely easy to build, but the one I'm using was built by an audio buddy so I can't speak from experience.

IP Logged
Gopher
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/24/11 at 19:03:52

I stand by the things I said the Dodd brings to the equation, but I should mention that I've got a creeping doubt about it raising.  Hard to put a finger on what the issue is, but I feel less of my attention is focused on the music with it in place.

A different tube may be in order, but I need to buy this unit or return it to its owner pretty much now and I'm leaning towards the latter.

Steve Deckert was not kidding when he said the Torii was a difficult amplifier to match a preamp to.  So far Shindo, YS, Dodd and Tubeguru have not been quite 'it' for me...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/24/11 at 20:01:59

I love the ZSTAGE with my ZDAC, but can't say what it would do with your front end. The gain part is extremely useful....ride the ZStage volume up while riding the Torii down increases weight and dynamics, and the opposite, leans/opens. So you can tune the system to those demanding recordings that are too light or dark.

It took me time to get it sorted out with the right tubes and cables, but once there it is a very useful tool to me.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lee Williamson
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 06/24/23 at 14:05:11

The Dodd Audio Tube Buffer is a preamp solution that is often recommended for use with Torii amplifiers. It is available in kit form at an affordable price and is known to provide excellent results when paired with the Torii amplifier.

By using the Dodd buffer, you can expect certain improvements compared to running the Torii without any additional preamp. These improvements include an expanded soundstage in terms of width and depth, increased sweetness and resolution, and possibly enhanced dynamics. It's important to note that the buffer doesn't add any gain of its own; instead, it focuses on impedance correction, which can have a positive impact on the overall audio performance.

The fact that two of your friends, one with a Torii 3 and another with a Mini-Torii, have recommended the Dodd buffer further supports its compatibility and effectiveness with these amplifiers. While it may not provide the same experience as an active preamp, the buffer seems to deliver noticeable benefits according to your own observations and those of others who have tried it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print