04/19/24 at 23:28:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
arcing in 5u4g (Read 5414 times)
SteveC
Seasoned Member

arcing in 5u4g
09/18/11 at 11:58:57

I started noticing arcing in the left rectifier tube on Torii mkiiii.  Doesn't  seem to affect sound.  it happens only during power-on. Swapped the left and right tubes and the arcing moved to the right with the suspect tube. Switched out the bad one with the one from my se84c and no more arcing.  So... Is that tube defective? Why would it fail so soon ? Because it failed so soon, do I have to worry some root problem with the amp? Is it safe or ok to continue using that tube?  Anyone else seen this? Symptom: exactly when the larger voltage regulator starts glowing, blue spark jumps from the bottom of the 5u4g to the top plate. Sometimes glowing embers fall inside after the spark. Hot or cold tube makes no difference.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: arcing in 5u4g
Reply #1 - 09/18/11 at 12:48:20

This is a tube beginning to fail is my estimation. If it's a stock Ruby tube I've never been impressed with these and quality control from the manufacturer may be an issue. I would replace that or the pair, unfortunately I think that is the safest option.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/18/11 at 13:08:02

Give that tube the deep six before it could do some damage.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/18/11 at 15:17:54

That tube sounds on the way out in a sort of big way. I had a rectifier go once without apparent arching and it blew the fuse at the IEC inlet immediately. Then I looked in the manual for fuse info, and Steve mentioned that rectifiers can mysteriously go at any time and blow the fuse. Could be shipping shock, a voltage spike....I don't recall how I figured out it was one of the rectifiers, but I did. So I stuck in a replacement pair I had, and no problems. If the tube is relatively new, I bet Decware will replace it.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/15/11 at 02:24:08

update:

Haven't bought tubes yet, but I did realize that there's no arcing when powering up dead cold. (torii off for many hours)

The only time I see the arcing is when I turn off the torii, then back on again.

I first did this to hear only one channel for some reason.  

Anyway, will get tubes, but I just don't power cycle the torii anymore.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print