Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 12:10:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
P1324 Assembly & Questions (Read 388 times)
Sorbe
Ex Member

P1324 Assembly & Questions
09/14/11 at 07:21:26

I just received my very heavy P1324 diffuser and all the parts look great.  I like the way it's "mostly" assembled with the risers and strips set into the channels.   However since there weren't any printed instructions I was somewhat reluctant to just "flip it over" and dump out all the wooden parts onto the floor.

So, I decided to see if I could figure out what the QRD design was "supposed to be" by inspection and using the QRDUDE.EXE V3.0 app to find the P1324 design pattern.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For all of you that are curious, the P1324 appears to be a "Standard N13+0,0" type panel (from bottom of QRDUDE), but with a full width edge at depth 0 (usual is half width).  

To see this design,
select "Number of wells": 13
select "Deepest 1D well in inches": 2.99
set the "Recommended well width": .74
set the phase wheel and offset both to: 0

QRDude Result: Scatter 1049Hz, Diffuse 2098 Hz, HF cutoff 9052 Hz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One thing bothered me though, if you then set "Auto-optimise phase wheel rotation for shallowest 1D panel in advanced mode" in QRDUDE, you actually get a different and perhaps more interesting panel.  It's EXACTLY the same width and depth, but has a lower scatter and diffuse limit.

Advanced N13+4,3 panel:  Shifted down 4 depth units and left 3 well units.

QRDude Result: Scatter 694 Hz, Diffuse 1388 Hz, HF cutoff 9052

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you find QRDUDE to be useful / reliable?  Is this a possible design improvement?  Or was it evaluated and rejected for some reason?

=tkb

P.S.> I did eventually find the online instructions at https://www.decware.com/newsite/diffuser%20instructions.pdf

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: P1324 Assembly & Questions
Reply #1 - 09/14/11 at 15:58:00

I have no experience with the software you've listed, but can tell you the current version was chosen over the alternate (offset) because it's diffusion develops faster - ie., you don't have to be as far away from it.  Typically you have to be many feet away from a diffuser before you measure a diffuse sound field.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Re: P1324 Assembly & Questions
Reply #2 - 12/22/13 at 03:31:15

This just answered a long time question I have had for a long time! Steve, I recommended you mention this in your ad for the your diffusers. Of course had I payed better attention to the forum, I would have found this section years ago!!  Knowing you can be closer to these diffusers vs. others is is grand.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print