Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pipe Organ Subwoofer (Read 11734 times)
sonicsounds
Ex Member

Pipe Organ Subwoofer
08/20/11 at 00:12:38

Hello,

I'm designing a subwoofer to use within a pipe organ, and curious if anyone on here has designed one of these specifically with the goal of getting down to 16Hz.

I looked through a few pages, and didn't see anything.  The search function wasn't particularly helpful, and I apologize if this has been reviewed before (I am hoping it hasn't been beat to death, I'll feel like an idiot).

I see there are a number of ways to load the box, and haven't seen anybody posting results from different ways with response curves.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jon

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: Pipe Organ Subwoofer
Reply #1 - 08/29/11 at 19:36:35

Here is the post for 16Hz.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1181694114

I think either the HWK15 or HWK18 can reach down that low. Of course speaker selection and amplification will be important also.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
sonicsounds
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/03/11 at 15:27:24

Well, just my luck, I think that link is broken.

I tried searching again, and despite being a SQL and PHP programmer, I couldn't find the blasted page.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to order plans and build one :-D

Jon

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #3 - 09/06/11 at 11:19:39

You are correct the link does not work. I think that is when the change over happen.

If you go to page 3, its is the ninth post down by asiquis. I am pretty sure he built HWK for the exact same reason you are thinking.

Pipe Organ way cool !!!

HT-EXT

IP Logged
sonicsounds
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/06/11 at 13:24:48

OK.... I went and read through that.  I'm curious if the Father who started that thread ever finished his project (may be no way of knowing).

We currently do this (every day) using Dayton Titanic 15" subs from parts express in 12-13 cu ft sealed boxes (very heavy sealed boxes).  They get driven by really good amps (with really heavy power supplies) and they do a descent job, but not stellar.  They also have a habit of doubling below ~24 hz (annoying).

I've long suspected an enclosure like this would really cut down on the inefficiencies of a sealed enclosure.

So was there ever a conclusion?  Did they put the driver in the "top" or the "bottom"?  Does it matter?  I suppose I can build one that comes apart just to experiment with if I have to.

HT-EXT - thank you for the help so far, I appreciate it.

Jon

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #5 - 09/07/11 at 16:26:26

No problem. I was just trying to point you in the right direction. I don’t know if the HWK15 is going to make you happy but I can guarantee you it will fill even a large room with bass. You will need to use the trial and error method as far as subwoofer arrangement. It depends on the room, placement in the room, and whatever is in the room that will effect the tuning. My choice would be to buy another Titanic 15 and put one in the bottom and one in the top with both pointed up but hold me to that. You will prolly want to leave the top and bottom removable that way you can test and tune to your liken. Just take your time and build right and you should be more than happy with the results.

GOOD LUCK !!!

HT-EXT

IP Logged
sonicsounds
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/01/12 at 01:56:05

More than happy.  Yeah, you could say that.

One of the worst parts of forums is how everything gets left open ended and you don't know whether the last posting was the final word that set the OP straight or whether the OP gave up, so I'm providing follow up.

My carpentry skills are awful, so I paid somebody to build one of these.  He did a nice job, glued and screwed, and we left one of the panels removable (used some weather stripping to make sure the sealing is good).  Used a piece of PVC for the top vent instead of a coffee can, and put it in the church.

I couldn't have been more disappointed by the non-existence of anything under about 100 hz.   Then I reversed the phase on one of the drivers (d'oh!) and sat back at the organ console and started playing.  Still nothing under 80 hz.  We have the ability to control the volume of the electronic rank note by note, so I started turning up the low notes, further and further.  And I realized I was sitting in a dead spot, while the rest of the roam was SWIMMING in bass.  Moving the speaker just a foot fixed the problem (well, probably just moved it, but I don't really care).

So this is the best subwoofer we have tried yet, and a local cabinet maker is making me 6 more of them as I write this out of some descent plywood for the next couple jobs.  Perfect fit for the application, thanks for the help on here.

Jon

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print