Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:56:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wicked One with 15s!!! (Read 10601 times)
Hondab100s
Ex Member

Wicked One with 15s!!!
08/18/11 at 15:35:05

I have stuffed an oversized version of the WO box....which I don't know if it can still be called that anymore...with 15s. The box dimensions are 48"x36"x21.5".

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: Wicked One with 15s!!!
Reply #1 - 08/18/11 at 20:13:14

Nice build and it looks very impressive. That thing is bound to pound !!!

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
Hondab100s
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/21/11 at 08:25:52

Thank you! I definitely need sound deadening material! I'm kind of disappointed with the SQ as it produces more db at higher frequencies (80hz+) which is weird considering the size of the drivers. I am wondering if the sealed portion is too big (roughly 2cu) which is the recommended size for the woofer. None of this can be proven for sure as I do not have a metering device and lower frequencies are much more difficult to actually hear...perhaps that's the culprit! by the way is there a trick to broken bolts retaining the driver to the baffle? the subs never came with any type of gasket material and I think that would help prevent failures.

IP Logged
Hellion DarkLord
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/18/11 at 05:08:40

[quote] the subs never came with any type of gasket material and I think that would help prevent failures.

I have always used foam weather stripping tape around the edge of the speaker baffle for a gasket. If you use a double layer and squish it down it squishes into a hard mass and dampens vibrations between the speaker and the baffle.

EDIT:: put sand bags in the sealed portion which will take up a known amount of volume and see if the response improves or gets worse. Also, the throat area of the 'horn' can used to tune the box. Add a slice of wood to shrink the throat opening and see if the response lowers. If you want to get really crazy, cut a slot out of the side wall just large enough to slide a piece of wood into and move it in and out to tune the throat a little so you how it reacts to subtracted throat area.

IP Logged
Hellion DarkLord
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/18/11 at 05:17:15

Oh, and if all else fails, use a low pass crossover and see if you can solve the problem with electronics.

IP Logged
alison warel
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/18/11 at 05:34:41

size is not a big deal with this. the air surrounding it generate better effect.

IP Logged
Hellion DarkLord
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/22/11 at 21:37:40

oh, and if you make a set of feet on the side of the box with the horn mouth and make the horn floor-firing it can help the output, but I can't remember why. also, that couples the subs with the floor because of the direction the cones move so you can feel it better through the floor.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print