Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:20:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ordered my Zen Torii MK III (Read 50349 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Ordered my Zen Torii MK III
08/16/11 at 19:36:23

I am pleased to have finally been able to order this Amplifier. I have enjoyed my Zen Select for over a decade (mid May 2001 received).

The CCE mod, no negative feedback with pentodes and everything else that comes with this Amp.....I look forward to enjoying. What is the current lead time?

Stone of Tone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Ordered my Zen Torii MK III
Reply #1 - 08/16/11 at 20:03:47

Stone, I look forward to your impressions after so many years of the select! I would call Sarah for a projected date.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 08/17/11 at 01:22:57

Hi Will, I will call Sarah and get the skinny.

I have heard the II a couple of times at ZenFest 2005 and 2008 I attended and liked it then. Now with the Hazen Grid mod and further tube regulation, it should be a lot of fun.

I currently live in a brick sh_t house apartment/meaing I can play my music pretty loud if I prefer. However, I prefer 76db SPL on average with peaks of 82 db SPL. Most audiophiles listen to thier music to loud IMHO.

I have a good front end I have owned for 16.5 years and my cables owned for 11 years. I do look forward to comparing the III to the mighty slayer Select and posting some impressions. Both will remain in the stable of my system until I cack.

Cheers, Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/17/11 at 04:27:11

Congrats Stone! Let us know what you find out and what options, if any, you choose.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/17/11 at 05:30:27

Stone,

I look forward to your perceptions. As you have heard, though the Torii is very SE like, it is also a little different with its particular weight, speed, definition and bass presentation. And with its adjustability and outrageous tube rolling possibilities, it is an amazing amp.

Though I have no meter, I guess I am among those who listen a little loud finding that place where everything comes out with distinction, but my setup is very good quieter as well and I think you will appreciate the feel of it.

And I totally agree with PR, please keep us apprised of anything you come up with that makes it all just right!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 08/17/11 at 18:38:12

Thanks PR! I went with the Stnd. options and the walnut base. Now I have the wait  :'(, which is understandable of course, for this fine hand built MUSIC making machine. So PR and Will, I will chime back in after receiving and some burn in down the road.

Cheers, Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 08/18/11 at 19:07:54

Stone! So happy you are getting a Torii! I GUARANTEE you you will be boogying mightily with a heavy grin when it arrives!

What will says is true about the SET and Torii comparisons. I recently put in (and kept in for now) my SE34.2 (non CC mod) Integrated in the place of my Torii Mk II in the bedroom system, and the differences were intriguing. (And I confess I missed the full-blown SET sound a bit). No matter which way you lean in Decware amp land, you're on solid ground!

Lon (from my Dad's laptop in Bay Village, OH)

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 08/19/11 at 11:39:45

Thanks Lon! I look forward to those differences in Amps with that common thread of transparency and the continued beauty of no grain. I have enjoyed your reviews of it and now I am counting the days like a kid waiting for Christmas and the CCE mod.......ha.    

Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 10/11/11 at 05:08:33

Okay, I'm watching and listening to the recorded DecFest and realized today marks the 8th week since I ordered my Torii and I am getting excited. I always love having something to look forward too and realize it could be another two to three weeks before I receive it..........which is fine. Your early Christmas present is coming Larry, so just exercise patience.

Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 10/11/11 at 14:56:02

Hope it comes soon Larry. That anticipation is fun for a while. . .but after four or five weeks I WANT IT BADLY!

You're going to love that amp.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/11/11 at 18:30:06

Lon opined:
Quote:
You're going to love that amp.

Indeed.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 11/02/11 at 07:52:43

Got the word today, the Transformers are being wound!

Man, I hate solid state! I switched my Zen Select out today to throw a little more juice at my Vintage Polk SDA 1's (1984/85) with my Rotel Integrated RA-1062.

I use the SDA's in straight 2 channel stereo, but also plug in the Stereo Dimensional Array occasionally. On some recordings it is quite the illusion. (However, in straight 2 channel stereo these speakers are wonderful and the Zen Select can drive them in all its glory at 76 to 82 db SPL without clipping).

It was not long though, and I put the Select right back in............and the music returned.

Bring on my Torii MK III!

Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 11/02/11 at 15:48:20

Hopefully it won't be too much longer now!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #13 - 11/14/11 at 17:56:11

Okay, I should just shut up and wait until I receive it and break it in for 3 + months then comment?! But, I am so excited! My III has passed QC and is being packed!

Correct me if I'm wrong.....but do the Tubes come in a separate package? I do believe I read that.......... .

If I receive it by the 23rd......I might catch a cold  ::), and have to stay home the four long days with my new Torii III. Oh well............  ::). I can visit my brother and sister-in-law for Christmas  ;D.

Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 11/14/11 at 18:41:21

Awesome! Won't be long now!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 11/15/11 at 03:10:33

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong.....but do the Tubes come in a separate package? I do believe I read that.......... .

With mine the tubes did come in a separate box, but luckily, they did arrive at the same time as the amp. I seem to recall some poor guy on the forum getting tubes later....UPS seems slacker all the time.....Hope this does not happen with yours. That would hurt! Have fun!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #16 - 11/17/11 at 07:21:41

Thanks will.....yea I hope it is not a split on the shipment from good ole' UPS. I have not purchased any other tubes yet for it either? Anyway, it is scheduled for arrival on Friday!  Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #17 - 11/18/11 at 23:31:44

Got her and she is gorgeous. Loving the direction it is headed in with the waxing and waning. She was packed excellent and the fit and finish is sweet.

I called Steve a couple of times.....and for him to say thanks to DeVon, Sarah and the Decware crew.

Have a great weekend all.

Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 11/19/11 at 05:12:04

Fantastic Stone! I'm so happy it's in your home at last! Tell us about it when you can tear yourself away.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 11/19/11 at 22:47:25

Had it in my main seasoned rig. This morning I moved it to SeriusXm/DishNetwork and my DAC Magic driving the Iron of this Amp hard thru my Rotel as a pre........the break in blues with some Live Fogerty right now........fun. The guitar AMP from Woodstock for John.......... .  Retubed a few times I am sure Smiley.

Cheers, Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 11/19/11 at 23:17:06

I can tell you're having fun!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #21 - 11/23/11 at 18:26:54

Ahhhh! Just past 50 hours on her and driving her direct (got the bloody Rotel out the chain as a pre).....not even using my best front end and she is blooming and has Larry Carlton, Chris Potter on Sax and Ricky Peterson (from Minneapolis/Bloomington) on the Organ......in the room with the extended version of; "Put it where You Want iT". Chris is great doing straight ahead or pop/contemporary jazz...... .

Cheers, Happy Thanksgiving......Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #22 - 12/03/11 at 19:46:00

Aahhh, the Majesty of the power with just about all the attributes of the SE84CS. I now have over 120 hours on my T3 and I am very pleased.

As tonepub stated in his review; ".....the Torii strikes a perfect balance of rendering additional tonal richness without
altering the music’s fundamental character.
Via the Torii, Moraine’s “Uncle Tang’s Cabinet of
Dr. Caligari” from Metamorphic Rock is an absolute
prog freak-out, with layer upon layer of maniacal
synthesizers and overdubbed guitars all kept in order
with larger-than-life drums. Whatever your taste
in complex tunes—be it prog, metal, or full-scale
orchestral music—you will find intoxicating the
Torii’s ability to maintain musical pace".

For me, Solid State with its grain, etch and haze need not apply in any price range.

So I can do comparisons with my SE84CS, I have it with the following, even though this system is different, I am enjoying the synergy here, as I do with my Signature ref system synergy (listed below) with my SE84CS. Though, I now use a pair of Polk SDA 1's without the SDA function.....the SE84CS drives them with aplumb within reason. This within reason can get quite loud too before compression or clipping and maintains all the nuance, tonal character, timbre and transparency that the SE84CS delivers like magic.

System is: Sony DVP-NS57P as transport > Stereovox XV2 digital cable > Dac Magic (soon to receive new power supply designed by Peter Madnick) > Kimber Silver Streak Interconnect > Torii MK3 > Kimber 8TC Speaker Cable > LS90 with Kimber 3033 Low Pass jumpers.....after market XLO Pro Power Cord to MK3.

In comparison, the SE84CS has the extra special Lit from Within and Transparency to die for..... . However, the MK3 is so close and so beats solid state with its realism, organic and yet powerful presentation (and I have heard some upper price solid state through the Audio Society of Minnesota at the Pavek Museum in St. Louis Park) that I look forward to enjoying both for many years to come. All I need to do is swing my Listening Chair to the System of choice for a particular disc and just enjoy.

Please stop in and play our original 1929 RCA Theremin, listen to our Western Electric theater speakers, or perform live radio shows in our 1960s era studio.

http://pavekmuseum.org/

Cheers, Happy Holidays.......Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 12/03/11 at 19:58:00

Awesome Stone! Indeed, with your two amps you have so much! Enjoy the music deeply!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #24 - 12/03/11 at 23:53:07

Yes Lon indeed! I wish I had your new front end though (I'm jealous).

Well, since it is snowing to beat the Band on this fine Saturday evening.......instead of going out and chasing my other passion....(I've been divorced for awhile now and going lady chase crazy)  :-).......I am going to try a pair of NOS 6922's (actual Sovtek's from the 80's if that can be actually considered NOS now).....in place of the 6N1P-EV's that came with.

Cheers, Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 12/04/11 at 00:08:35

Let us know what you think of the 6922s. I've always preferred the 6N1Ps, but each room and amp and taste is different.

I found a cryo'd 6N1P from cryoset.com that though taking criminally long to burn in really sounds great now. I've not been rolling tubes for a month or so, which is not usual. Wink

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #26 - 12/04/11 at 02:04:04

Thanks Lon for the site. If you have not been rolling in awhile.....these Cryo 6N1P's are now on the Christmas List. Hint: Julia & Brie my daughters!   Stone

Lon, which ones do you have or prefer?

Granted, I realize, the whole gamut of the other tubes can influence. However, I figured I would start with this........ the input tube variable.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 12/04/11 at 02:45:17

I bought a pair that was very similar to these they are now offering. . . I think this is the same tube, but they had different text about it when i ordered it. It's the Super Cryo tube they offer.

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=263&osCs...

I must add this caveat: the pair I received took a month to really open up and deepen. There was very little bass for alarmingly long. Once it got there, it's been a great tube, with a sweeter treble than some other versions.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #28 - 01/10/12 at 00:25:52

Thanks for this site Lon. I have it book marked. No Tube rolling as of yet. I need to know the Torii longer then I will start....... .

Anyway, I broke out my Mirage OMNI 150's (Omnipolar 2-way Speakers). I am glad I am to stubborn to sell anything and I might need it? Well, I needed these and glad I kept them! Great soundstage with IMAGES with image!  Great tone and timbre too with the Torii. For a diminutive inexpensive speaker it is over-achieving as I type. It took the Torii to tame its brightish tweeter and still maintain its treble extension.

Cheers, Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #29 - 01/20/12 at 00:08:55

Okay, it took me two months to find the right combination of Interconnect, Speaker Cables, Digital Cable and which DAC with the right Speakers........but I have some damn good ORGANIC'S going on now with the Torii 3 (plus its break in). Dynamic and detailed to say the least with my overachiever RTiA1's....and did I mention Organic?! Mirage's, out/gone (an experiment).

Cheers, Stone......time for a Summit EPA and some more tunes w/Torii!

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/908polk/

YES, take reviews with a grain of salt. The only reason I post this review is to give the Speaker a point of reference. I aspire to better by the Torii, however, these Speaks' truly are overachievers. Now, the reviewer (Reina) raving about them with Creek Solid State which I have heard is okay?  But, for the price of that Creek Amp ($2395 then/more now).........you can get the Torii 3....which destroy's the Creek period. You have not heard the extended Treble and detail, besides the impeccable midrange......until the Torii drives them.  

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 01/20/12 at 01:24:30

Glad you're happy and digging it Stone! I'm that happy with my ERRs and my HR-1s driven by the Mk III (I'm just addicted to the Radial sound, will accept no substitute these days!) . . . The Torii is just a magnificent amp, it can drive so many excellent speakers. Definitely versatile!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #31 - 01/20/12 at 17:32:22

You are so right Lon, the Torii can drive so many speakers to near perfection. I am glad I got over my momentary lapse of reason to sell it. I know now I would have regretted it. I am going to hold off on tube rolling while the Torii burns in further and I know the Amp well. The ERR's and Steve's new DNA Horn are still in my sights for this fall. I hope to go to DecFest or road trip this late summer to hear them (7.5 hour drive, St. Paul to Peoria/no biggy). I went to the Fest in 2005 and 2008 and enjoyed it very much. DeVon, Steve and Ziggy - good people.

For the next 7 to 8 months though...I am enjoyng my SE84CS, Torii 3 and SeriusXM/Dish Network. When I can't be in front of the Select or Torii, I have SeriusXM, with Real Jazz ch.6067, Contemporary Jazz ch.6066 or Classic Rock on ch.6025 & 6026 and other smatterings of stations/Blues too playing. I get new music idea's from Real Jazz 6067. I always have it scrolling/playing thru my Polk SDA SRS 1.2's. I use a .5 meter Kimber KCAG out of my DVR...nice for the 1.2's.

I'm listening to Hank Mobley right now, Bouncing with Bud. SeriusXM is always keen to recognize that while I am listening to Real Jazz right now I probably love other genre's too? They just promoed, BBC from the Vault tonight.....Led Zeppelin at 5pm central. So, lets just say I am in the sweet spot in front of SDA 1.2's at 5pm sharp and they will be utilized in all their glory! I will record it too/hang on to it for a while..... .

Anyway, cheers to you my friend. I do/have appreciated you're insight on the Torii 3 and tube rolling advice. Enjoy the weekend with great tunes!    

-Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 01/20/12 at 18:34:51

Definitely happy you kept the amp and gave it a good shot! It will keep sounding better as time goes by. I was bowled over AGAIN by my amp a year ago. . . and it sounds even better now.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #33 - 01/20/12 at 22:01:41

I believe you.....it will sound even better in time. I have made my mind up to visit Decware and bring my Front End,  speaker cables and listen to the ERR's and the DNA Horn come September or October.

I was looking at what UpScale Audio has left of the Cary SLI 80 Signature ($4300.00). I lose no sleep owning the Torii 3 which I believe is a better topology, yielding better sound qualities. I purchased my Torii 3, Vintage Polk SDA 1, Vintage Polk SDA SRS 1.2's.....with 85 bucks to spare under $4300. I am not saying the Cary is not good. Someone on the Forum owns one and now has the Torii 3. He prefers the Torii 3. I should find/quote.

Cheers, Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #34 - 01/20/12 at 22:09:36

Yeah, Cary's are nice; a friend of my Dad's had one when I was first interested in SET sound and his machine made me a believer. I bought my first Zen amp (#27, later turned into a Rev. A version) and thought it sounded a bit better, but there were 1500 miles between the two amps so I never directly compared them. About seven years ago I loaned #27 to a friend who also has a Cary 300B integrated amp. He still has the Cary, but I've never gotten #27 back yet. Smiley Maybe one day soon, he finally got off the bus and ordered a Taboo and the portable headphone amp.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #35 - 01/23/12 at 23:09:31

Lon, you need to get your #27 back now that he has a Taboo in the works! That is right.....you have been with Decware products since 97 or 98. Way cool.

Well, the light bulb went off today....and I said to myself, the Torii should not be hooked up to a restricted low frequency (bookshelf) speaker. The Torii needs to BREATH. I have my SE84CS properly set up and my SDA 1.2's as well (far as solid state goes). So, I moved my LS-90's eight feet over in front of the 1.2's and just out to the left and right of the 1.2's as not to block them when in use. This opened up space to rear.........and with the bass management pots!......I have the Torii dialed in with tuneful bass and great tonal balance. I finally have heard what the 3 is capable of.  It is a SET on the TOP frequencies with BASS/tuneful and articulate. Very pleased. Other than enjoying all three systems.......and some tube rectifier + preamp tube rolling in a few months. I am done for now!  

Cheers, Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #36 - 01/25/12 at 08:31:12

Excellent description Stone.   I am comparing the Decware to what some consider to be the best SET, the Coincident Frankenstein mkii and I am selling the Frankenstein.   The bass control on the Torii is amazing, while the intimacy and the 3D Soundstage is 99% as good with the Torii and the Torii is a little less bright, more dynamic,and just more musical on everything from jazz to rock to electronica to vocalists.   And the bass and treble knobs and endless tube rolling makes it so easy to customize it to my speakers and room.  And the combination with my Tekton Pendragons and Dodd Battery Pre-amp mkii is simply stunning.    :P

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #37 - 01/30/12 at 05:07:10

Very sweet set up Morganc and the Torii edging by the Frankenstein says a lot. I just moved the Torii back in to my main Rig after another 80 hours on it with secondary Rig. It needs to stay with my Select Cables and my AA front end with SDA 1's main Rig. I am very pleased. You do not want to turn this Amp down!
My system is configured on the floor.....so the swap out with my SE84CS takes all of 10 minutes. I feel I have two of the best Amps on the planet.   -Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #38 - 02/05/12 at 18:33:45

I think the Caps are finally burned in..... . Steve's choice in Caps are just fine with me. The Aural Matrix of this Amp is blowing my mind right now! NO, I have not been drinking. I do not pop the first bottle cap on my Summit Extra Pale Ale(s) until 5pm CST prior to the Super Bowl.

Cheers, Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #39 - 02/05/12 at 18:53:16

I agree, Steve's choice of caps are awesome. I wonder sometimes what they would sound like with the V-Caps but I soon forget just sinking into the wonderful sound of the stock Torii.

IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #40 - 02/06/12 at 05:59:23

What are the stock caps btw?   I'm sure loving mine too!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 02/06/12 at 06:27:52

Morgan, This is from the Torii page near bottom of Steve's explanation. I think MkIIs may have used a GE cap.

"Decware has it's own time coherent polyurethane film & foil coupling caps made to the FKP-1 specification by WIMA in Germany.  These are standard in all Zen TORII's.  Since many audiophiles are unfamiliar with our caps (we don't sell or advertise them) they ask about "possible upgrades" for these caps and list of a whole host of boutique audiophile caps they think may sound better.  Virtually all of them have been tried in house, and most are at best a sideways move, many sound worse.  The ONLY cap we have found that we feel is justifiably better than our stock offering is the Teflon Tinfoil VCAP's."

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 02/06/12 at 22:11:01

I am actually thinking of getting a third Torii, because I am becoming convinced that the SE84ZS just doesn't have the same "authority" on the center channel ERRs as the front and rear pairs get from the two Toriis. I have some listening swapping to do, but that seems to be where I am headed. And while I would be tempted to try the Torii without the VCAPS, just to hear the differences, I have been very happy with mine so far, and would be inclined to keep them all the same.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #43 - 02/06/12 at 22:24:45

Interesting. I can see your reasoning indeed, and it doesn't surprise me that the Zen amp may be running out of steam.

Have you tried just four ERRs and two Toriis, is there a way the center channel could be blended into the left and right front?  I don't know enough about surround technology, but my two ERRs in two channel setup, firing away from the TV, give incredible sound, deep and holographic and the dialog is clear and very audible. . . .

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 02/07/12 at 03:11:52

Lon, one Torii and two ERRs make an incredible soundstage. And I suspect that a 4/2 arrangement would be very nice as well. In fact, I am using that arrangement for the most part on many Quad 4.0 recordings.

But if I want that center channel to really sing, remember that the tweeters are firing at the screen away from the listener, and so are reflected off it, I think I need a bit more oomph. On some of my 5.1 recordings, especially for example the AIX recordings, the sense of heft is missing a bit from the center. I am not complaining, just speculating.

In fact, once the subs are done, the next step will likely be a choice between Torrii and DBQX.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #45 - 02/07/12 at 11:54:12

Have you tried the tweeter firing conventionally forward? I would definitely try that myself, I think that might yield even better sound, but again I'm a surround nincompoop.

Anyway, you're right, if you lack a little "oomph", that's the Torii's middle name. Zen Oomp Torii Mk III. Smiley

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 02/07/12 at 18:58:17

Yeah, I tried that, but it seemed a bit beemy. Having the tweeters reflect off the screen seems to create a more natural effect with the action on screen.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #47 - 02/07/12 at 19:22:18

Cool. As I said, I'm a nincompoop with surround, never really heard a system I liked, and have never had one of my own.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print