Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:08:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuzzy static on brand new ZP3 (Read 6277 times)
DougK
Seasoned Member

Fuzzy static on brand new ZP3
08/14/11 at 16:19:51

I just received my ZP3, but it didn't ship with a rectifier tube.  I don't have any 5Y3GT tubes currently, so I tried using a 5U4.  When I powered on the ZP3, without any input connected as instructed, I get a noticeable hum out of the speakers.  

I always float the grounds, so the first thing I tried was grounding various components, but that only added more noise.  I also changed every tube including using a 5AR4, and nothing helps.

The manual says to only use the 5Y3GT rectifier, yet the pictures on the site show a 5U4.  Could not using a 5Y3GT be causing the hum?

Also, one more question: Can I use an OD3 instead of the OA3 as I do on the Torii?  I like the tighter bass of the OD3, but wasn't sure how sensitive the ZP3 is to changing tubes.  

IP Logged
Jon

Re: Hum on brand new ZP3
Reply #1 - 08/17/11 at 15:59:55

I'm curious to see how this turns out.  I currently have a ZP3 on order...

IP Logged
DougK
Seasoned Member

Re: Hum on brand new ZP3
Reply #2 - 08/17/11 at 22:32:31

The hum might be because I turned the volume up on my amp to about half way.  And it's more of a hiss noise, not a true 60Hz hum or anything.  

Last night I had some problems that my 0D3 and 0C3 regulator tubes both were flashing when the ZP3 was fully powered on.  My initial inspection of the circuit showed two 220 kOhm resistors in parallel between the output of the regulator and the ground.  My quick calculations came out at < 1 mA of current, which is too low for the regulator.  If the values of the resistors were 22 kOhm instead, the current would be where it needs to be.  

I'm either paranoid and making things up, or something could be wrong.  I think it's probably time to call Steve...

IP Logged
DougK
Seasoned Member

Re: Fuzzy static on brand new ZP3
Reply #3 - 08/23/11 at 14:29:11

UPDATE: I just re-named the title of the post because I didn't want people to get the wrong idea of the ZP3.  After investigating further, it seems my 5U4G is noisy, as well as my 0C3 and 0D3 voltage regulator tubes!  This took me a while to troubleshoot because the tube I thought was the problem was the 0D3, and the 0C3 was no better.  Oh well, it definitely is not 60 Hz hum, and until the ZMC1 arrives I can't comment on how much background noise there is while playing records.  

As such, I'll come back and comment on the sound of the ZP3 with step up transformer when it arrives.  Until then, my initial fears are relieved as it just looks like bad tubes.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Fuzzy static on brand new ZP3
Reply #4 - 10/04/12 at 17:58:54

Doug,

Hope your ZP3 has been up and running and had vinyl playing through it for a while. What are your impressions? Thanks!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print