Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 00:44:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Second (Best) System" (Read 15720 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

"Second (Best) System"
08/13/11 at 15:33:14

I suspect I'm not alone in having a second system that I use regularly, and into which my second tier components move. . . .

Right now I've been playing around with the second system which is in the master bedroom. It's not used frequently outside listening to music lying in bed with my darling, and watching tv and the occasionaly DVD or Blu-Ray pretty infrequently.

It consists of the Turning Point Audio HR-1/Decware IT Radial speakers, the Decware SE34.2 Integrated amp (non-Hazen Grid mod), a Marantz BD7004 Blu-Ray player, a Wadia iTransport and iPod, both going into a Decware ZBox powered by a Tripplite 500 watt isolation transformer and two PS Audio Duet power centers. Interconnects are Decware Silver Reference, power cords are all Decware power cords except for one PS Audio xStream Prelude feeding the Duet that connects the digital components. Eventually I'll probably replace that with a Decware power cord, just to have "symmetry" -- not sure that there will be a sonic difference. Speaker cable is two lengths of cryo'd CAT-6 (just two strands each) that was part of a group buy on the forum many years ago. Works well.

Two weeks ago I added a PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC and Transport combo to my main system, and as a result I played around with adding the ZDAC-1 and CSP2 and Sony SCD-XA5400ES in the system. I also had the Torii Mk II in the place of the Integrated. Opening my mind and ears up as much as possible and doing a week's worth of listening to variable combos, I came to the conclusion that though these in the system made fantastic music, using the compromising speaker positions that I seem to have to use and at the levels I listen, there's not a significant enough difference using these in the system as compared to just using the Marantz player straight into a ZBox and into the Integrated. The biggest difference was the amp:  the Torii gave powerful bass and a real focus to the sound, but I could not really lift the volume to take advantage of the Torii's best power zone, and I've grown to like the SET cohesion and the little bit of bloom that the Integrated brings.

The iPod is really only used to play back lossless files of some of my girlfriend's favorite music that I don't yet own on cd. It does sound a bit better with the CSP2 and/or ZDAC-1 in the system, but it's not a major difference, and it's the least used source.

This present set up has been in use a few days and has really grown on me. My gal also has given it her seal of approval, she really likes the sound, and has been able to tell me of differences in the component setup, very useful. It's so wonderful to have two very musical systems to relax into. I'm blessed and know it. Overly blessed. It's quite possible that I may come back from my trip to Ohio next week and decide to sell CSP2, ZDAC-1, SCD-XA5400ES, that ZCD with all the options that has been in my closet, and maybe even the Torii Mk II (Hazen Grid modded) to help defray the reckless expense of the PS Audio PerfectWave combo that is going to impact my fiscal  year ahead. Maybe sell my Peachtree Audio Decco system as well, which I was mainly using on occasion as a DAC/preamp, it's strongest suit.

I'm using an aquarium stand we had built about six years ago right now as a support for my source components and ZBox, and I have the Integrated beneath the table on a maple platform on top of a huge old AKAI reciever with a wood case that is sitting on Herbie's Audio Lab speaker spikes. The Integrated is on Herbie's Audio Lab IsoCups, and the amp is nicely isolated. The aquarium table is sitting on Herbie's Audio Lab "Gliders" and the Marantz and ZBox are on Herbie's Audio Lab "Tenderfeet." Probably overkill, but I have the stuff and why not use them?

This second system. . . well I find that I've lowered expectations for it, and I don't listen as critically or analytically in the bedroom, and I'm thus able to really connect with the music and enjoy its benefits. It's nice enough a system to get out of the way of the audiophile process, which is a respite I enjoy.

Anyone else want to talk about their second systems? Or do most have one system that they use for all purposes?

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: "Second (Best) System"
Reply #1 - 08/13/11 at 19:53:42

Well Lon, my second system is my fabled garage system. A Onkyo  9 something series reciever with somewhere around 100 smokin' watts per channel. NHT 3.3 speakers and some big thumpin' Velodyne sub.
On the input side I have a Onkyo DVD player for a transport and a Sota Comet turntable. But I find that 99% of the time I just use my Ipod jacked into the reciever. The IC's are something I bought from a car stereo guy that worked for me, he probably stole them. Speaker wire is something that has the same military ID as the Zen Styx that my buddy the aircraft mechanic got me for .89 cents a foot.
The one thing I can say about this system is that it is loud. It really sounds like shit compared to my Torri and MG944'S, a case of more not being better. I might be interested in your ZDAC if you want to get rid of it. I'm about ready to ask for a refund for mine, it has been in the "shop" for more than 3 months now and I'm getting to the point of wanting to move on. I hear nice things about  Benchmark's DAC1 and I see that I could have one in my hands overnight. I don't know, maybe I should just chill out and wait for my ZDAC to return.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
dpod4
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/13/11 at 20:23:55

Just my 2 cents...I would keep the Sony XA5400es, and spend 1900 to have Dan at Modwright modify it.  I have the Perfect Wave DAC and Bridge and have lossless and hi-rez files I play, but a Redbook cd through the Modwright 5400es is the best digital sound in my entire system.  Less digital sounding than the Perfect Wave setup.  More texture and roundness.  And, the headphone output goes through the tube modifications, and my Beyer T1s sound as good from the from 5400es headphone output as they do from the dedicated Beyerdynamic A-1 matching amp I have.  So....my second system would be in my bedroom or office with a Modwright 5400es and a great set of headphones.  If you go to sell your 5400 pls send me a note.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/13/11 at 21:27:59

Thanks for that info. . . I'll take it into consideration, but likely it would be better for me to sell it than modify it. Not something I'm going to make a decision on for a few weeks though. I don't listen through headphones, and the extra fidelity would sort of be wasted in my second system which doesn't get used that much and isn't in a room for great fidelity. But something to think about.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 08/13/11 at 21:37:41

Donnie. . . in a garage loudness is its own virtue isn't it? Smiley Sounds like a system that gets the job done. And I know you have good speaker wire. . . the Styx that I use just have been the best performers for me in my system I've ever had!

I hate how long you've had to wait for you ZDAC-1 to be repaired and returned. Especially since you need the output with your iPod/iTransport combo. I hope that the wait isn't too much longer, or that you take matters into your hand for a refund. How frustrating this must be for Steve that he can't sell and make ZDAC-1s for months!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 08/14/11 at 04:13:43

Lon, Yep I seem to play music loudest in the garage. It muffles out all of the cussing that I do when I'm working on these old motorcycles. Today I was cussing when I found a left handed wentworth thread that needed to be "fixed". I'm one hell of a machinist, but it is hard to pull something like that out of your tool box. Tonight I'm just calming myself by eating some crappy KFC and listening to my Torii sing to me. It is times like this that make me wish I drank booze or smoked funny cigs. I would be able to cope better, or not. I guess music is my drug of choice.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 08/14/11 at 14:48:02

I envy you your mechanical skill. There'd be even more cussing if I were working on those old motorcycles! I've still got my '74 BMW R90/6 out in the garage, and boy does it need work if it were ever to be on the road again. A friend of mine keeps encouraging me to work on it and offering help, but I just don't think I have the tools and skills to pull it off.

I used to do all my own maintenance on that and the other bikes I had. When I bought my new Harley though I did so with a three year warranty plan that had all free services, so the first service after that was the 25,000 mile service done on Friday, and I wanted the bike done by them as I am about to put about three thousand miles on it next week. I'll change the oil when I get back though and hopefully start performing services myself on this wonderful beast from now on.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 10/10/11 at 23:04:03

The last three weeks I've been playing around in my second system to find the combination of components that sound "best". . .  with an ear to thinning out the herd of equipment I have in anticipation of about 7700 dollars in property taxes.

I've left my source the same: a Marantz BD7004 Blu-Ray player, pretty decent for audio and video. Also used occasionally, the iPod through a Wadia iTransport.

I tried using the Torii Mk II, the Peachtree Audio Decco DAC/Integrated amp, the SE34.2 Integrated, and the SE34 Monoblocks. I've been using   combinations of ZBox, CSP2, one or the other and neither in betwwen source and amps.

Surprisingly in the small bedroom, driving the HR-1s, the best sound (and my lovely and music-loving girl friend agrees!) is with the ZBox between the source and the SE34 Monoblocks. Each combination and set up actually sounded really really good and had its pluses. But the one that has won us over is the source to ZBox to SE34 Monoblocks. Sweet and sassy single-ended sound, plenty of detail and plenty of volume for the room. A very romantic sounding set up. . . and transporting. The Peachtree surprised me, it failed mostly in a lack of depth to the sound. The ZBox helped it, though if you use its DAC that also sounded very good. The Torii Mk II created awesome sound, but only about half its potential was being used and I couldn't really get it into the higher end of its range, and it sounds its best there. The Integrated was a very close second to the SE34 Monoblocks, and I really liked the dual volume controls for dialing in balance in a sort of lopsided set up. But the SE34 Monoblocks just had a magic to them. I honestly think it's the solid state rectification as odd as that sounds. Steve spoke of using the solid state rectification to "slow it down" and I think that's the key, it is not breaking the speed limit in these amps, the sound is just flowing just right.

Surprising and enjoyable results of a pretty methodical survey of all available amps except the Rev. A Zen amp (I'll never get that out of my friend's hands I'm afraid!) and the Proton "Power Envelope" amp (just didn't feel like trying it out when there were all these others.) Now I'm settling back and enjoying the sound. . . there's little better than a great bedroom system sometimes.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 08/24/18 at 16:19:26

It's been a long time since I started this thread and added to it. In the meantime I moved from Texas to Ohio and the two years I spent taking care of my parents I had a second system in my town home bedroom, another system set up at my parents' place (where I spent most of my time and did most of my listening) and then set up another system at my then girlfriend's/now wife's. . . in the same room I now have my main system.

My second system now had been an audio "playground" for a while. As I moved from the Torri Mk III to the the Taboo Mk IV to the SE84UFO3-25 mono blocks, I have been playing around with the system upstairs to give me both a headphone and speaker listening spot. At first the Taboo Mk III was in the mix, but it just didn't quite drive the Trapezium speakers there well. Then when I bought the CSP3-25 preamp and had the Taboo Mk IV to play with those UFO transformers made all the difference and the Traps sounded great, and the headphones of course sounded fantastic. I knew that a ZROCK2 would be the final icing on the cake for that system and I thought about one for a while and actually ordered one.

I also played around with Torii Mk II and Mk III amps and they each drove the Trapeziums very well. . . with a surprising edge to the Mk II, which had just a touch of romance that suited the sound a bit more. I had tried earlier this summer to sell the Mk II for a price I was comfortable with and found no takers. . . and then I realized that rather than spending the money on the ZROCK2 I could use the Torii Mk II for speakers and the Taboo Mk IV for headphones and have the best of both worlds without buying a ZROCK2. So I canceled the order for the ZROCK2 and and now I'm using both the Torii Mk II and the Taboo Mk IV quite happily in that system.

I can do this without a preamp because the Denon universal player I have up there has a great 32 Bit DAC inside with a well-designed transport and both balanced and single-ended outputs and with an adaptor for the amp end I can use really good cables I have on hand (Dyson Audio "Facemelter" and VooDoo Cable Stradivarius) and use both outputs and do without a preamp.I also have a PS Audio Power Plant Premier in the system to power everything and either a My Audio Cable Burly power cable or PS Audio AC-12 power cables to connect to the Premier and amps. I tried adding both of the CSP2+ that I have but they really didn't add much so I've put them back under the bed to be sold soon.

This second system is giving me great sound for the rare occasions I get to listen to it, And I know that if I can ever get spousal permission to rearrange and add the HR-1 or ERR speakers I have in storage to this system the sound will also be great as both these speakers play very well with the Torii Mk II.

So I'm finally labeling that system "done for now" and feel great knowing I have a little sanctuary upstairs I can utilize. I've had a rocky road getting here but my life is really blessed with audio beauty (and other beauty as well!)

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #9 - 08/28/18 at 16:58:43

Some damn nice second systems you boys have. Now that I have the UFO25 in the man cave I am going to put the SE84-CKC Zen amp in the living/TV room. To start it will be hooked to a CD player (Philips CDR880). Speakers are early 80's Cerwin Vega ST 8 bookshelfs, (98db 1w/1m). Mapleshade double helix speaker wires. IC's -Decware DSR's.
Gone will be that old Sony SS amp/tuner and the home depot lamp wire spkr cables.....finally!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 08/28/18 at 17:51:51

Nice upgrade! I bet you are going to enjoy listening in that room!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 08/28/18 at 17:53:10

Nice upgrade! I bet you are going to enjoy listening in that room!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/28/18 at 19:59:24

My second system is in my cottage in Michigan.  It's an A frame and the listening area is fairly large with high vaulted ceilings.

System consists of a 2009 MacBook laptop, a digital output ipod/iPhone dock, a Chord Qute Dac, Tori MKIII and DIY open baffle speakers with Betsys/Eminence Alpha 15s (thanks Randy for your assistance).

The MacBook has either optical or USB output (to a SPDIF converter) and the dock runs coax out.  I can also use the coax out on my FIIO X3 portable as another source.

Optical cord is some inexpensive glass cable I picked up.  Coax is pretty decent but I don't recall the brand.  It's something I bought from Stone.  ICs are Decware Silver and speaker wire is the vintage Western Electric 16G.

I went with the Torii at the cottage because even with the efficient OBs, I felt I needed the extra horsepower to fill the room.

I have a PS Audio P300, but I don't use it anymore because the power is very clean at the cottage.  At least I can't tell enough of a difference with and without the P300.

Its in the boonies, but I put in a cell phone booster so now I can stream Tidal via my phone, but mostly I listen to music via the MacBook or the FIIO X3.

I enjoy the system mostly as background music while cooking/entertaining although every once in a while I am there alone and can actually listen.  It sounds great and has impressed more than a few visitors.  I get a decent soundstage, but nothing even close to my treated room at home.

My latest challenge has been getting a non-internet connected router to provide wifi so I can use my phone as a remote when using Audirvana (my go to player on the MacBook).  It seems to work at times and other times not.

The speakers were designed for this room, but everything else was in my home system at one time or another.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 08/28/18 at 20:04:02

I bet that sounds great, out there in your "retreat" life. The Torii and those speakers I'm sure really get the sound all around the room!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/28/18 at 20:17:33

Its a good combo and more than fills it Lon.

Before I was able to haul the OBs up there, I was using my Turning Point/Decware Trapeziums and while they were a bit quieter, I was impressed by the sound and amount of bass I was getting.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 08/28/18 at 20:23:34

Oh yes, the Traps and a Torii are a surprisingly good combo. The Torii drives them top to bottom, and they really project. Great speakers, especially if you put some power behind them.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #16 - 08/28/18 at 23:38:26

I just read about the stereo I had in my garage 7 years ago. I'd forgotten about most of that stuff. All of it has been given away to family and friends.
The Sota turntable is in my brother's garage with a big pile of vinyl that I turned over to him years ago. The rest of the stuff is at a friend's house, hopefully making him happy.
It just occurred to me that I've never sold a piece of equipment, I've always given it away. I try to spread my good fortune around.
Anyway, My current second system is still in my garage. A Wadia DAC-Amp running off of a Dell laptop into some speakers that I made and some really stupid 93" long concrete form subs that are powered by a couple of Parts Express sub plate amps.
What it lacks in refinement it makes up in volume and slam! She's a ugly girl that puts out on the first date!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 08/29/18 at 03:06:03

Ha! Sounds like a "sound" relationship.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 12/03/18 at 20:40:31

Okay, I confess: my second system drives me a bit nuts and is mostly an excuse for audio experimentation and component hoarding because I rarely get to use it!

I have gone through all kinds of "systems" there that included the top of the line Peachtree Audio "Grand Integrated" and several speakers and four different Decware amps. The Peachtree had to go. The two constants have been the Denon flagship universal player I use as my source--that is a great sounding one box solution for a second system and performs flawlessly with audio discs--and my PS Audio Power Plant Premier which has always worked perfectly and is perfect for this size system.

I hook up the Torii Mk II and say "Man this is fantastic. I can't sell this amp!" I hook up the Torii Mk III. . . and come to the same conclusion. I hook up the Taboo Mk III and it may not quite drive the system as loud, but boy it has its own magic. I hook up the Taboo Mk IV and. . . well it sounds great. . . can't part with that. So I come to the conclusion that I can't part with anything!  When I decidedly CAN.

And I slid my ZROCK2 into the system for a bit and realized that it really is the perfect addition for the Taboos driving the Traps, it gives them just the right drive and frequency balance, it really makes it a helluva system. So I may use this ZROCK2 in the second system when I get the new one I ordered with the Anniversary Mods.

So currently I have the Taboo Mk IV with one of my CSP2+ between it and the Denon player, driving the Traps speakers. This is more than I will ever need in my second system! But. . . I do want to sneak my second pair of HR-1s in there one day. . . and I know from how well the Mk IV drives my HR-1s in the main system that they will sound great and even louder than the Traps up in the second system. And ironically, if/when I do get to use the second system for any length of time, it's for headphone use!

So I'm trying to convince myself that what I need to do is send my Taboo Mk IV in for the Anniversary Mods, and then I won't need the other amps. We'll see how long that lasts. I think I'll use the Taboo Mk III while it's out being upgraded so I won't be tempted to keep the Toriis. That's my plan. . . . And I need a plan because all the possibilities make me a bit insane. . . especially because I really don't use the system!

That's the plan. For now. . . . Who knows how long this one will last!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 12/03/18 at 21:19:07

Lon, I hate to break it to you but you need a Rachel! Smiley

Listening to a little Wynton Marsalis.  I'll be seeing him Wednesday with the Lincoln Jazz orchestra...

OOps wrong thread, oh well... I blame Lon Smiley

CD #4...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 12/03/18 at 21:32:47

Mark, I had an earlier version of Rachel and sold it. . . . Just didn't have the right "vibe" for me after a while, liked it at first, but it was too "forgiving" for the long haul.

I'm moving away from the EL34 stable of tubes in favor of the SV83 family. Back to the beginnings of my Decware adventure.

Maybe one day I'll try the Rachel, but I prefer the Taboo Mk IV as it's got the speed and the tone I crave.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 12/08/18 at 13:33:56

Well, I've already made a change. I don't know if I can keep them there, but I moved my ERR speakers out of storage and into the second system in place of the Traps. Wow. The Taboo Mk IV driven by the ZTPRE is almost perfect. A ZROCK2 will make them perfect, and I'll have one for this system when I get my newly ordered one in a few months (hopefully that soon).

If I get permission to leave this set up I'm good! I can divest myself of the other amps. Yay!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 12/08/18 at 14:34:43

Oh boy. I did NOT get permission for this set up. It has to come down, and my whole second system is challenged! I may have to divest myself of everything in that system. . . which is not the worst thing in the world.

Domestic tranquility. . . so essential.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 12/08/18 at 15:15:17

Happy wife, happy hifi life.   I never officially received permission to move everything out of my office in the basement to create a dedicated listening room.  It comes up now and again...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 12/08/18 at 15:58:57

Yeah, my main system in the main room gets brought up over and over too. I may have to repurpose my Mapleshade racks and buy s furniture looking Salamander cabinet one of these days, she hates to see the components.

The real problem is we have a very small house, an expanded cabin really, and we love the beautiful serene location and won't move, and we aren't rich enough to transform the house. Something has to give, and it's my stuff.

Life is interesting.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 12/08/18 at 17:37:29

Interesting; yes. And also, at times, very frustrating.  :(

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print