Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:02:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
5U4G; I must have missed something... (Read 30012 times)
nico

5U4G; I must have missed something...
08/08/11 at 21:45:56

Beeing the owner of my ZEN for only a few days now, I bought a new set of tubes for it here in Holland since I have no clue how old [ worn] the tubes are that came with it. All tubes[ types recommended by Steve]are perfect but one....
Problem is; the 5U4G rectifier tube does not fit because it is too thick; it touches the transformer.
It has the 5Y3G now, and I thought the 5U4G was the correct one for this amp..
Please point out my misstake?
Thanks,
Nico

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: 5U4G; I must have missed something...
Reply #1 - 08/08/11 at 21:49:11

Nico, either tube type will work in the amp.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/09/11 at 00:46:09

Lon: he's saying the 5U4G fights with the transformer for space.

Nico:  Maybe you should look at a 5U4GB with the straight bottle.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/09/11 at 00:58:31

I'm aware of what he's saying. It's still a correct tube type for the amp, which he seemed to want verified.

Yes, look for the straight tube type (sometimes labeled "5U4G" on tubes (I have several that way).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/09/11 at 02:24:21

Same thing on the Ultra. The rectifier tube socket is a bit close to the transformer. Much as I love the bottle-shaped big rectifiers, the 5Y3GT straight-sided is a better fit.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
nico

Reply #5 - 08/09/11 at 07:29:47

AHHH....that explains, thanks.
The one I bought is wider at the top so that will be the issue. The space between transformer and rectifier is VERY SMALL....
After looking at the transformer-"feet" I noticed that the screws are both in the "most inner position" of the long holes.
Drilling two holes further to the back would make it possible to move the transformer significantly more to the back side. The two existing holes would dissappear under the transformer, making them invisible. I'll unscrew the four screws and check if the wires will permit doing so first.
Will be back with the result, thanks for your support.
Nico

IP Logged
nico

Reply #6 - 08/09/11 at 21:33:24

Things are falling into place today.
As strange as it was to find no serialnumber on this amp, what I found out today is strange even more.
After buying a 5U4G [the amp came with a 5Y3G] I found out qiuck enough this rectifier would never fit....
The glass was simply too thick for the small space between transformer and socket.
I just found out the transformer was not mounted correctly. The two bolts on the rectifier-side were not mounted in the threads that are inserted in the housing; new holes are drilled more to the front.
I noticed these two bolts to sit not upright, but under an angle; caused by the threaded inserts.
After unscrewing all four screws the transformer could be moved enough to the rear to use the threaded inserts on the side of the connectors.
Now the transformer is sitting more to the back, and the 5U4G fits easily.
The person that has assembled this amp was......tired? Wink
It makes my earlier suspicion that this amp was sold as a kit a fact.
Thanks for your thoughts, at this moment the 5U4G glowes softly and makes an even better-looking amp; now it's time to listen and getting myself to go to bed on time, gonna be hard again. Smiley
Nico

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/09/11 at 22:45:44

Nico, you never know, I guess, though I think it's been quite a while since anything like a SE84 was sold as a kit, but I have not been in Decware land for all that long, and so perhaps you are right.

IP Logged
nico

Reply #8 - 08/10/11 at 16:29:30

Well, I know for sure that nobody at Decware should mount the transformer that way!
The transformer-feet are just too wide apart for using the four threaded inserts in the housing, so either this transformer is not the original, or the inserts are not mounted in the right position.
This will remain a mistery I guess, but I'm happy the 5U4G fits now!

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #9 - 09/07/11 at 15:07:36

Hello Nico,

I've played around a lot w/ 5U4g types for my amp, and my fav so far (even over NOS RCA ) is these :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5U4G-5C3S-RARE1959-SVETLANA-BLACK-PLATE-TESTED-Lot-1-/14...

Give em a shot. Significantly better than the stock varieties. Just make sure they're black plates and the older the better ( 50's or 60's variety ).

Cheers,   Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/07/11 at 15:54:43

Bill, either you or someone else previously suggested the black-plate Svetlana NOS rectifiers. I picked up a half dozen from the 50s, and I agree, they are quite nice. Right now, they are back-ups to the RCA NOS black plates I am using, as well as one Raytheon and one Mullard G37, but having listened to them, I feel comfortable they will serve me well when I, or my children, pop them in.

IP Logged
nico

Reply #11 - 09/07/11 at 16:54:29

Thanks for all the info. Smiley
Beeing new in tube-land I never thought the rectifier would make such a big difference. At the moment I'm using a CV593 and a GZ32 [basically the same Mullard tube] and the amp performs better with these than the Sovtek 5U4G I bought earlier.
The used Mullard GZ32 has the most "liquid" sound, where the CV593 has more dynamics.
I must be carefull though.....or I'll end up owning more tubes than I'll ever need in my lifetime [prob. like most of you guys] Grin
Nico

IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 11/21/13 at 15:16:00

ok. I have not been around for a while so I need some help here. I have the C version , and that came with the 5y3, but now I see the gz32 and 5u4 being mentioned. Has there been any modifications to the amp or can I just throw in a 5u4 to the 84c.

shreekant

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 11/21/13 at 16:11:36

You should indeed be able to throw in a 5U4G, my C amp works just fine with one. I prefer a 5Y3 tube to be honest, but the 5U4G will work quite well, won't harm the amp.

IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #14 - 11/21/13 at 16:52:56

thanks Lon. Hope you are doing good .

shreekant

Oppo, hdd,84c, pm6a, cd200, foreplay lll, zbox, bottlehead sex amp, zob, various stuff that make up two systems
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 11/21/13 at 17:46:55

PS: Good to see you posting Shreekant!

I'm doing okay. Just okay, and just barely!

IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #16 - 02/22/16 at 15:02:44

Ok. I know it s many moons later, but I just located a 5v4g tube  and want to know if anyone has used it in the 84c.

Thanks

Shreekant Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 02/22/16 at 16:09:33

Yes. Gives a bit more of an old school tube vibe is my experience. A bit darker and a bit less dynamic than a 5U4.

IP Logged
proud_indian
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 02/22/16 at 16:28:29

Thanks Lon.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print