Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:29:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
different position inputs (Read 5846 times)
nico

different position inputs
08/06/11 at 21:09:08

Can one of you tell me if the positioning of the rca's of the EL83CS [mounted near the bias-switch on top] has any advantage in sound compared to the EL84B I have?
It seems to eliminate the wire going from pot in the backpanel to input-tube, thus connecting the interlink almost directly to the input-tubebase....sounds IDEAL to me. Smiley
Any comment welcome on this!
Thanks.

IP Logged
nico

Re: different position inputs
Reply #1 - 08/11/11 at 15:54:03

Since non of you was able to help out on the subject, I decided to try it out.
So now I can give you guys the answer; yes, it does make a difference.
After first listening to the stock input [with pot], then with a direct connection from stock rca's to input-tube, and last [after drilling the two holes and mounting a set of rca's along the bias switch] to the most direct way of getting the inputsignal at the tube.
The idea came from imagine myself to be a inputsignal and looking at the barriers I had to take to get where I want to be.
For those of you who believe in the "less is more" approach this should sound familiar, for others new....but you really should try it out.
I use two of the finest interlnks "Siltech" has to offer and with the inputs right next to the input-tube, the signal only runs through those, plus from rca to tube-connector by means of a 1,5 cm silver strip...and it's there.
I'll try to find the time to create a account for loading pics to, so I can start posting some pics along with the stories.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/12/11 at 02:59:36

Nico, would love to see some pics. Makes sense that less wire would be better sound. Since my SE84ZS arrived today, I would be interested in seeing what you did to your layout.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
nico

Reply #3 - 08/13/11 at 15:25:47

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66295610@N06/page5/
Hope you can view these too, LMK so I can use this to add pics.
BTW; this mod made the complete soundstage bigger and reveiling background voices, reverbs etc. that I had not heard on some favorite tracks. Final decision to make this mod was after looking at the quality of my silver/gold Siltech interlinks, and then to the quality of the inner wire of the amp....... Shocked
My wife heard it right way without looking at the new inputs on the amp, or knowing I made the change. ["what have you done this time?"]
Next is the CCE mod; the EL84's will make way for the SV83's and the caps came in today, curious if it will really make such a improvement.
I'll listen to the new tubes first, and then add the caps.
It's already sounding so good.... I take the small hum for granted, since I really never had such a superb combination of gear. Next time my listening-friends will be here it will simply blow them away.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print