Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 07:03:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Torii arrived yesterday (Read 8397 times)
SteveC
Seasoned Member

My Torii arrived yesterday
07/29/11 at 23:34:02

Playing on HDT's.  I don't have the vocabulary to describe how good it sounds.  But I was grinning all night.  (Even straight out of the box without breaking it in.  It's very very nice.)   My definition of having the "singer in the room with you" got redefined last night.  "holographic" has new meaning.   I know better than before what high resolution is.
I remember thinking this amp has the power AND the finess I was looking for.  King Kong making a faberge egg.

I'm no expert.  I"m not an audiophile.  My only comparisons are decades of consumer stuff made by something like sonkyioneerwood.  Then I got a Myryad ss Class A.  Then a jolida Fx10 (pp el84s).  Then a zen 2watt.  (this did everything but would thud-out on the big bass hits at the listening levels I wanted, on 97db HammerDynamics and on the HDT's).  Now, the Torii provides the punches I was looking for.  There's something about the Zen I still like more (related to the attack of string plucks).   But hell, I'm making a comparison after just 3 hours on a 3 hour old torii.  vs a 9month old zen.  I look forward to the break in process.  

I was going to build a relay switching system (non shorting!) to hot swap amps on the fly to compare them.  I don't even care anymore.  The torii wins.  I don't need any more convincing than having those singers in my face last night.

It surprised and saddens me to hear some of the tone of threads on diyaudio.  well, I guess that's before the torii arrived.  I don't care anymore.  I'm just grinning now.    

In short, I'm so very happy, and in my limited experience, I can't imagine better.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: My Torii arrived yesterday
Reply #1 - 07/30/11 at 00:00:35

The Torii is an amazing amp. It's going to keep sounding better and better. It will likely never be your weakest link unless you suddenly have lottery money!

Enjoy the weekend and try to get a little sleep. Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/30/11 at 00:01:37

Awesome to hear about your pleasure!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
SteveC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/31/11 at 10:04:34

Thanks guys.  

Now that I've collected my thoughts, I can better say what I originally intended.

Being on the waiting list, I had time to doubt and wonder if I would have buyers remorse when it arrived.  Was it over hyped?  So I read reviews and opinons here.  I read opinions of decware stuff elsewhere (like diyaudio).  I saw Kana813s questions and issues with the torii, noise, and his speakers.

Even though I know and love my se84c+, the doubt about the value of the Torii still crept in.  

The elation came when the Torii performed so superbly and completely erased all my doubts as to make me feel silly in hindsight.  It's so worth the wait and so worth the money.  It speaks/sings for itself. no external opinions necessary.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/31/11 at 16:51:40

I remember when mine first arrived. For me it was too weighted toward bass in my space, with my speakers and compared to my SE34I.2+. I kept up with Steve, followed his advice and built some bass traps...and finally I reduced the space between my MG-944 body and plinth a bit, and I am amazed.

So it is really sweet to hear when this amp moves into a system effortlessly. But it is brilliant if it reveals system/room issues too, and once they are fixed, the Torii sings as it was designed to do.

It is such a simple and revealing amp that tube, cable, power changes, room treatment etc are remarkable.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/03/11 at 21:41:52

My second Torii arrived today. With my ZRacks on the way, I am very close to having everything set up. My current A/V credenza unit shelves are too narrow by about 1 inch for the Toriis and Ultra, so I have this beautiful stuff scattered around my living room. Still have a fair bit of break-in/burn-in to work through, but it is all coming together. Grin

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/03/11 at 22:01:41

Greg. That is so much new stuff it just makes my head spin! Hope it makes you very happy!

IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/03/11 at 22:05:07

SteveC,

Good to read that you're happy with your TORII.

Hopefully, someone that doesn't want to wait two months, will
see my ad before my 30 days are over.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print