Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:07:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Want to build speaker stands for Trapezium (Read 13678 times)
übergeek
Verified Member

Want to build speaker stands for Trapezium
07/29/11 at 13:43:23

Where I work we have wood and metal shops, both excellent and professionally-equipped. My co-worker is their manager and has offered to help me learn how to use them (personal tutorials).

I though the best way to learn was to build something I wanted, hence stands for my new-ish Trapezium speakers.

My question is, what is/are the design considerations? I assume:
  • Height
  • Material
  • Weight?
  • Rigidity?
  • yFlat front?

There's no shortage of designs out there, not sure where to start or what "guiding principals" I should be considering...

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Want to build speaker stands for Trapezium
Reply #1 - 07/29/11 at 23:14:48

I read that they are designed to work on a desk top without the need for stands. You might want to place the speakers in different position relative to your listening station, then calculate height and make the stands.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
markv

Reply #2 - 07/30/11 at 14:35:25

übergeek

A bit off topic, but how do you like your Trapezium's?      

IP Logged
ZYGI
YaBB Moderator

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 07/31/11 at 16:05:38

Jason,

Are we talking about stands for normal listening position, and not for desk top?

If for a normal listening position, here is what I did...

The base is 10" wide and 12" deep. the very top is 10" deep and 9" wide. Total height is 22" tall. I used two layers for both top and bottom, and a 4" by 4" square for the pedestal that separates the two. I made the 4"by 4" pedestal out of 4 pieces of 3/4" MDF which I suppose could have been filled with sand or BB's or shot for that matter, but I left them empty.

The 9" wide top is essential to bass response, as whatever the Traps sit on make up the rest of the port. Wider than that wouldn't help much, but too narrow would be detrimental.

My couch I sit on for listening is pretty low, and think if I did it again I might shorten the stands to 20", so like Rivieraranch suggested you may want to check the height you want to go with as per you sitting distance from the speakers as well as your seated height.
ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
übergeek
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 08/03/11 at 23:16:55

markv: I am really liking the Trapeziums. But for sake of context, while I have heard "great" speakers and systems before, I've never owned them. I've always had bits and pieces here and there, but most typically just never a dedicated room. So, my mileage varies greatly. That said, the combination of the SE84C+ and the Trapeziums (Trapezia?) are the first in a very long time where I've been sitting still and listening for stretches at a time. (And I have diagnosed and have medication for ADHD, so that's not saying it lightly!) Smiley

IP Logged
übergeek
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/03/11 at 23:24:35

Zygi,

I will need to sketch out some ideas. Any objection to posting them here if I have any questions?

What you mention about the bass port and response... I'm not sure what to make or do about that, I would never have considered it, I don't think.

Would you happen to have any pics showing the overall and/or detail of what you built? I'm having a little trouble visualizing it. (If not, no worries.)

Thanks! When I've had time to listen, I've been greatly enjoying them. I ended up ordering a ZSTAGE as I was having trouble getting decent volume without distortion from about half of what I was playing off the Mac Mini/MusicStreamer DAC, and was figuring it was likely low-ish voltage from the DAC (at least after reading far too many of Steve's articles here, my brain just said "order a ZSTAGE and like it"). Hell, it can't hurt anything other than my audio budget! Smiley

Oh, and the stands would be for floor, not desk. The Trapeziums are for the next couple of years my main speakers, or unless I miraculously get a huge raise so I can get a pair of the Open Baffles....

IP Logged
ZYGI
YaBB Moderator

HR-ONE

Reply #6 - 08/04/11 at 12:14:50

Jason,

I have no objection to you posting sketches of stands for the Trapeziums here.

I will take a couple of shots of the stands I built, if I can't post them here I'll send them to you....

ZYGI

IP Logged
übergeek
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/04/11 at 19:54:34

I went back and read your reply again this morning. When I first read it yesterday, for some reason I took it to mean there was some complicated  or critical geometry to the structure of the stands you were describing for them to act as bass ports (if that's the correct term). Having re-read it, I think I understand better. See attached mockup pic (made with Google SketchUp).

Basic Trapezium Speaker Stands (first draft) by jpstanford, on Flickr

IP Logged
übergeek
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 08/04/11 at 19:56:29

Dumb question... But if this will be placed on carpet, would it be a Good Idea(TM) to use some type of "spike"? Or would just mass-loading a stand be fine?

IP Logged
ZYGI
YaBB Moderator

HR-ONE

Reply #9 - 08/04/11 at 22:37:37

Jason,

So far, looks good. What I did however was to add to the top of the bottom a piece of 3/4 MDF exactly one inch smaller than the bottom you have drawn, the same goes for the underside of the top plate. Shorten your 4" center post by 1-1/2" and you'll be there.

I also offset the 4"x 4" center post toward the back about an inch. Don't think there was any real reason other than looks.

I also ran a 45 degree chamfer around all pieces leaving just a bit more than half the material still at 90 degrees. This just lightens the look, making it just a bit more finished looking.

You can always add threaded inserts, in case you want to try spikes or isolation devises. If you don;'t do it now, its no big deal to do it later.

No, there was no port in the of any sorts in the stand, it just needs to be wider than the speaker is, to act a bit like the desk top it would normally sit on.  

ZYGI

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print