Send Topic Print
ERRs Have Arrived! (Read 9597 times)
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: ERRs Have Arrived!
Reply #100 - 08/23/11 at 12:41:26

Greg,
That makes perfect sense. I never noticed that the rack impeded  the screen. I guess I was thinking more the cool factor, but I can see how a glowing tube or two Wink  could distract from the the person not sitting straight on.

Looking good at the Pale Riders house......

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 08/23/11 at 16:40:54

The cool factor would be undeniable. I would love to show them off more, but in person, the number of tubes and the amps are unavoidable and very impressive. I am going to place the Taboo next to the SE84ZS, drive it with the Ultra and use it for my headphones. All good. Thanks again for all the fantastic quality and craftsmanship, Bob.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
atkatana
Ex Member

Reply #102 - 08/23/11 at 21:26:49

So I am trying to make my mind up about the ERR's.  I am looking at them and the 944's.  Both grabbed me as they are efficient and will go well with a rebuilt Fisher 500c I expect back any day now.  Its a bedroom system but I live in a busy urban area and tend to run music all night.  The system can be on 10-12 hours a day easy between sleep and listening time.
I would like something that is close to full range 40 hrz will do, 30 would be better, but I can live if 40 is a realistic cut off.  I like a speaker to image, not beam or give up its location.  I will forgive some level of tone, and deep bass for a better image.  One that makes me forget there are speakers in the room.  Have been looking at some ohm's for a bit now, but have not pulled the trigger.  At the moment I have the Cantus Leasier II in the system and while very good, I would really love to play with something other then a monitor.  I owned Celestion SL 600's for over a decade and love monitors.  Says a lot about how much I value a speakers image.
Bottom line its a 3rd system in a small room 12x13x9 and while its gets a good bit of use I want something that appeals without breaking the bank.
So give the above can anyone tell me what they think.... ERR or the 944?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #103 - 08/24/11 at 02:17:38

Atkatana,

Welcome to the forum.......

From what it sounds like, you would be much better off with the ERR's that the MG944's. Being a bedroom system, and more passive listening than serious listening, and given the ERR's uncanny imaging ability, they would be the clear choice.

ZYGI

IP Logged
atkatana
Ex Member

Reply #104 - 08/24/11 at 11:30:14

Thanks much Ziggy.... now all I have to do is talk the wife into another pair of speakers Smiley  Been leaning towards the ERR for a couple weeks now, but wanted to check with folks who had listened.

Thanks again, I supposed I will be getting in line for mine here shortly.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 08/24/11 at 15:49:27

atkatana, welcome to the forums. I have never heard the 944 speakers, but given your target, I cannot imagine a better speaker than the ERR. Of course, a lot depends on your actual room and layout, but speaking only from my experience with the ERRs themselves, you will have all the imagery you could desire, and more bass than you might expect. You won't be forgoing anything.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 05/22/12 at 11:32:21

Hi PR, that system is amazing!  Can you give me a brief rundown of the equipment involved on how it is all hooked up?

That is if the word "brief" can even be justified with the amount of gear hooked up   Smiley

Thanks!

IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #107 - 05/22/12 at 23:09:51

That's a good question since you have had a few months to tweak everything.  

As for me, as much as I would love to have an Ultra, I just can't seem to get past the idea of not having some kind of digital room correction available.  I know this isn't important to a lot of folks but DRC, along with bass management, just seems so critical for HT and MCH use.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 06/03/12 at 08:05:09

Hi all,

I'm getting interested in the ERRs.

I have some questions though.

My current setup would mean they would have to be pretty high up off the ground, maybe 24". It's a tall room - I can post measurements later.

I could possibly stick them near the corners but they would be more at risk to my kids and not really working with room  aesthetic (i.e. wife).

The other thing is that I use Audiolense DRC and native convolution in JRMC. Would these speakers benefit like any other from some DRC in combination with my room treatments?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #109 - 06/05/12 at 16:42:20

Hiftubes,

its funny, I would have thought Lon might have chimed in here....

I would have to think raising the ERR's 2' off the floor would be counter intuitive. It just wouldn't work.

As far as placing them in the corner, would they still have to be 2' high?

The benefit of using DRC would depend on the room and the amount of room treatments that are in the room. And I guess some personal preference would go along here as well.

In this case, you might be better off with DM945's or Trapeziums, albeit the Traps like a stand of about 18"-20" tall.

ZYGI

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #110 - 06/05/12 at 17:06:18

Thanks for responding Bob. I had no internet all weekend and I missed this one. . . . I mainly read the forum by the ten newest posts, which works fine for me when I am visiting several times a day, but not when I don't have internet for several days.

I agree that the ERRs would lose what makes them special in that set up. Darn!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print