04/24/24 at 09:44:42 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
TORII SQ (Read 41570 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: TORII SQ
Reply #50 - 08/29/11 at 02:19:57

Pale, I think the Hazen Grid mod is part of the context and it may be that it is more important than tube choices, but each of the six sets of power tubes I have (sick I know) has a distinctly different signature in terms of audio head perspectives! And as hard as I try, my ignorance of the not-so-new acronym language prevails. What is SQ?

Wink

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #51 - 08/29/11 at 03:19:58

"SQ" I think we've been using on this thread to mean "sound quality."

I have a hard time figuring out what the Grid Mod does to the sound as I don't have a control for comparison. I have two Torris with the mod, and two other EL34 amps (Integrated and SE34 Monoblocks) without them. They sound different, but then two are Push Pull and two are Single Ended as well, so many variables.

Still seems to me that the mod is an amazing improvement that makes a big difference. But like will, I hear clear differences in the "signature" of power tubes in the Torii.  I've been very familiar with Winged Cs, and when I've had "Svetlana" tubes in it clearly has a different sound, and when I have had cryo'd Tungsol reissue tubes in they also sound differently. (I use the Tungsol reissues in my Torii Mk II predominantly; I prefer the Winged Cs in my Mk III.)

I have the impression that tube changes have an even bigger effect in the Integrated. When I change any tubes there, input, output, rectifier, there is a strong influence on the total sound output. I use cryo'd Mullard reissue output tubes there, I really like those; at some point I may try a quartet in the Mk III. Not sure if that is because there is no Grid Mod, or the fact that it's an even simpler circuit, or just my imagination. Anyway, I'm really enjoying the Integrated currently in my second system, where I don't need the power of the Torii amp. There's something about the SET "sound". . . not as precise as the Torii, but with just a touch of romance.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 08/29/11 at 03:37:17

Ah sound quality! I know what you mean about the SE thing. I miss my SE34I2+. It had the mod. From your integrated without the mod description..."not as precise and the Torii, but with a touch of romance."....if memory serves me, I suspect that the Hazen Grid mod in your integrated would provide more Torii-like precision while retaining that sweet open touch of romance the integrated has. I recall it sounding eerily open, clarified and liquid without sounding hard in the least.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #53 - 08/29/11 at 03:42:50

Hmmm. . . probably serves me better then without the Mod; I actually think it works very well with most recordings this way. Especially those my girlfriend loves to listen to, I've learned to like the music, but not the more mainstream pop production and recorded sound. Still, the Integrated manages to bring out a lot from Marc Anthony and Andres Bocelli cds.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #54 - 08/30/11 at 05:41:00

Thanks Lon & PR. Your right, I just need to search for them and find/they are out there.  

Stone of Tone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall