Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:04:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube Talk: EL34 Broken Getter Ring? (Read 9395 times)
dxp100
Ex Member

Tube Talk: EL34 Broken Getter Ring?
07/09/11 at 12:53:25

I just recieved a beautiful Torii MkIII amp but have yet to turn it on.

It arrived with 4 matched EL34 tubes but one of the EL34 tubes has a halo shaped ring that hovers near the top (getter ring?) that detached inside the tube. It is shaking around inside the upper quarter of the tube like a rattle.

Can I still use the tube? Or does it go have to be replaced? Or does the entire matching quad set have to be replaced?

Help. I want to listen to the amp ASAP.....

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Tube Talk: EL34 Broken Getter Ring?
Reply #1 - 07/09/11 at 13:17:03

Sometimes tubes can't stand the trip. It would be a problem if the little ring fell down below and shorted out something in the tube.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 07/09/11 at 15:33:26

I would not use that tube. . . it's an accident waiting to happen.

You may have to get another matched pair, but it' may be best to get a matched quad. I'd see if you could get any compensation as it wasn't your fault that tube was bad.d . . ?

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 07/09/11 at 16:33:24

Send the entire quad of tubes back and we'll replace it with a new quad.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
dxp100
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/09/11 at 18:28:24

Thanks. Shipped via UPS today.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 07/09/11 at 20:05:46

Such a shame, I know how eager you must be to hear the amp!  I hope the wait is not too long and you can be distracted by other things. Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
dxp100
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/16/11 at 13:27:05

Thanks. Got the tubes.

The Torii MKIII is up and running. Wow! Great product. I'm still breaking it in with the 5 hours on, 5 hours off thing. If this amp gets sweeter with time, it's gonna be like electric sugar.

My initial feelings thus far, based on very limited listening:

1. Great soundstage out of the box. I listened to a cheesy Tomita record and the room became a giant aural ping-pong table.

2. Warm round bass. I had to change the bias on the heavier rock stuff. Focus "Hocus Pocus" was initially distorted, but one flick of the bias switch made it great. I also listened to Ella Fitzgerald's "Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie" on the same bias setting, yep, the ghost-of-Ella sang to me last night.

3. Great listenability. Music is "sung" rather than "reproduced". Instead of mechanical arms stamping sound into conveyor belt chunks, the Torii MKIII pours sound like warm chocolate pooling into smooth circular molds.

4. Shrill & strident toned instruments (trumpets, piccolo, synthesizers, etc) no longer burn the ear.

5. The build quality of the amp is truly outstanding. It's good to see American made products of this caliber.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 07/16/11 at 13:54:54

Congratulations!

It only gets better from here. . . you're in for so many years of enjoyment!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/16/11 at 15:17:10

dxp, what speakers are you playing through?

My Torii is breaking in on a 5/5 cycle, hooked to two tiny satellites stuffed into a drawer so I cannot hear them. My ERRs arrive Tuesday. That's when I plan to first start listening.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
dxp100
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/17/11 at 04:08:16

Sound Dynamics 300ti's. Not the ideal speaker for this amp but they sound great nonetheless. The speakers, IMHO, are weaker in the lower-mid range. Excellent high end (best tweeter I have ever heard). Bass is fair to good.  

Harry from TAS raved about these speakers in the mid 90's.

I plan on getting a pair of used Klipschorns for this amp.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print