Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 18:55:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do the average 2'x4' ceiling tiles affect sound? (Read 8900 times)
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Do the average 2'x4' ceiling tiles affect sound?
06/30/11 at 03:23:33

I am currently remodeling the hallway of an office and they are throwing away all the ceiling tiles. I was wondering if they would be any use as room treatments? I was wondering if I put a lot of them together if they would work as a bass trap? They look like this http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/wrecklamation/images/2008-07/ceiling-tiles.j...   except 2'x4'.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Do the average 2'x4' ceiling tiles affect sound?
Reply #1 - 06/30/11 at 11:49:08

Speakerfreak,

If behind the white surface is fiberglass, enough stacked together would make a good bass trap. If they're fiberboard, then no, they wouldn't act as a bass trap.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Louis Toth
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/02/11 at 08:40:57

ZYGI is right, if tiles are behind fiber glass then it not works better to use them else where.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 09/29/11 at 18:39:03

I did make reflectors out of these once a long time ago. Interesting how they did affect the sound as far as soundstage. Of course it was just another one of my 'experiments'.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Chris Repa
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/16/11 at 06:19:43

I like experimenting new things and surely gonna try some thing new out of these ceiling tiles.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print