Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:58:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Started HDT build finally!!! (Read 24527 times)
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Started HDT build finally!!!
06/24/11 at 23:10:28

So after years of wanting to build theses thing I finally ordered the plans and got started on them. I've never dadoed a build before so that part was time consuming. I am just using a circular saw and router. I already have the Audio Nirvana 8's so I am going to use them. Went with the alternate tuning idea. Waiting on the passives to arrive. I do have a question for those who have built these before. How big of a gap is there between the top plate and the plate with the triangle port in it? I couldn't find any dimensions on the pdf plans for it. Also I see some cut a semi circle in the top plate. Does that affect the sound at all? I like the look of if it like that. Here are some of my build pics. Will have more later. Taking my time because I have to wait for the passive to get here before I can listen to them.

IP Logged
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Re: Started HDT build finally!!!
Reply #1 - 06/24/11 at 23:12:49

OK so it seems I have forgotten how to upload pics on here. I tried the choose file option. I shrunk my pics so they would smaller size but it seems they are still to big in file size. I remember I used to post them to photobucket and then use the url from photobucket on the post. Do I still have to do that? It's been about 5 years since I have posted on this forum.

IP Logged
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/24/11 at 23:20:45

Ok I'm gonna try again.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 06/24/11 at 23:53:17

That is cool. Makes me think that I could buld some myself. My problem is I would be too busy riding the XR 80 that you have setting in the background! A couple of XR's + a few friends = too much fun and a couple of broken collarbones.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #4 - 06/25/11 at 02:35:04

Speakerfreak,

The dim. is on the HDTF&B.pdf shown on the inside of part "A"

The distance between the top of the port plate and the bottom of the top plate is 29-3/4"

Is this what you meant?

zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/25/11 at 04:26:21

Donnie
  Yea or some broken arms!
ZYGI
   No I am talking about the 13.5x13.5 top (very top) plate that looks to be maybe one inch above the 12.25x12.25 plate with just the triangle cut out in it. https://www.decware.com/newsite/HDT.html shows the very top plate to have a half circle cut out in it but the plans just show a square panel. Can you tell the dimensions of that cut out?  Also I had 1.5 inch egg crate foam laying around so I went ahead and used it. Is that fine? I have to smash it a bit to have fit behind the pipe in the passive ports.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/25/11 at 17:18:54

speakerfreak7, thanks for posting. Like Donnie said, makes me want to get out in the workshop. Ages ago, I built some wonderful speakers, but I think I have gotten lazy. So, living vicariously is good. Please keep posting on the progress.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #7 - 06/26/11 at 20:03:32

Speakerfreak,

OK if you are building (from the link you supplied) the speaker on the top of the page, that is the single driver version and the top you are talking about just sits on four rubber feet. It is just a bit less than 3/8" gap between the two tops.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, that is the HDT-MKII which uses a woofer and a tweeter with a crossover. That model uses double tops  and those are spikes between each set of tops the gap there is about an inch.

Hope I got it correct this time,
ZYGI

IP Logged
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/28/11 at 10:10:51

I am making the single driver HDT. Yes that is what I was referring to. Thanks

1.  So how do I make the half circle cut out in the top plate?

2. I have 1.75" egg crate foam laying around. Is that ok to use or should I get the recommended 1" foam?

IP Logged
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/28/11 at 10:26:42

More pics.

I am about done with the first one. The second one I am not going to dado anything because that took way to long. Hope to have it done soon.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #10 - 06/28/11 at 15:17:01

Personally, I would never go without the dados, alignment of parts is just so much easier. If the port plate is not straight, you'll fight getting the "X" section to bottom out perfectly and seal. If you don't do any dados anywhere else, do the port plate to the sides front and back.

The foam you have there should be fine, around the driver section triangle you need to put two pieces, one above the driver and one below the driver two pieces 3"-4" wide by 18"-19" long and wrap them around the triangle.

Just above, on the very top over the driver hole, there needs to be one piece cut to fit the triangle. If you cut an 8" square then cut that on the diagonal it will make one piece for each cabinet.

ZYGI

IP Logged
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/02/11 at 01:02:46

Ok good to know that I can use the foam I have. So the last thing I need to know is how to do the semi circle cut in the very top plate.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #12 - 07/03/11 at 01:51:50

speakerfreak,

Do you have the HDTgrill.pdf....If so the layout for the top dispersion plate are on that, you may have missed it.

What I would do is use a piece of scrap, for your center point as the radius is offset by 1/4". Then use a router to cut the 4-1/2" radius.

ZYGI

IP Logged
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/07/11 at 03:14:08

Oh yea I did miss that. OK I see now. So that page says the plate should be one inch if I'm reading that right. Is that correct? Or can I use the .75" MDF?

Here are some pics of the second box. I built the internal X first and didn't do any dadoes.

Still waiting on my passive radiators to arrive. Hopefully I'll have them and the boxes finished by this weekend!

IP Logged
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/08/11 at 22:06:24

So the passives arrived today! But I'm not sure what glue is best to use to glue them down? I didn't see in the plans where it said what kind to use. Any recommendations? Or is any fine? I have Super 77 spray glue and weldwood contact cement. Once I glue them is there any way to get them back off without destroying them?

IP Logged
SoundBound
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 07/29/11 at 21:14:46

I used Weldbond on my passives.  It has a strong bond between wood and the foam of the passives and what is really great is that it dries transparent, helps keep the job neat and clean looking.  I use that glue on a lot of my projects, quite happy with it.

I have never tried taking them off, so I don't know how well that would go.  I expect the glue to have a strong bond, which is what you want for a speaker.

IP Logged
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/03/11 at 22:34:17

Ok I finished the first one and have been doing a direct comparison with the cabinets they were in which were plans I got with the speakers. I assumed the HDT's would blow them out of the water but it was not so. There was definitely more bass in the HDT's but the midrange was lacking. I'm not worried about bass though because I am using the WO which creates plenty of bass. The only thing I did different was use thicker egg crate but ZYGI said it was ok to do. Someone else said in another thread that they removed the bottom foam in the bottom chamber to help with the midrange. Maybe I need to get the DFR8's to hear their full potential. IDK any ideas?

The bookshelf speakers in the pic are not hooked up. They just wanted to be in the pic to.

I finished the second and set them up and they do have a great sound stage! Vocals in the center and the other instruments placed where they would be live at a concert! Although the other cabinets had pretty good sound stage as well. I have my old system setup so that I can swith back and forth to see how much better this one is. The other system is just a Pioneer receiver and the tritrix speakers I built from partsexpress and both systems use the BASH 500 amp with the WO with the decware 10's. (Nails coming out of the sheetrock!) The new one is the HDT's with the Audio Nirvana 8's, HRT Music Streamer II DAC, 8 watt tube amp diy kit from tubedepot.com and the WO. I play FLAC files from Foobar.

The new system is so much better!!!! A DAC is a must have when
playing music from the comp.  When I swith to the old system the sound seems condensed and confined to small space. I have to turn the Pioneer amp way up to keep up with the new system. I only have the tube amp turned up half way and it gets really loud!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print