Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:09:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ORDERED TRAPEZIUMS YESTERDAY (Read 26761 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

ORDERED TRAPEZIUMS YESTERDAY
06/23/11 at 12:20:50

I placed my order for a new pair of Trapeziums yesterday. Woo Hoo! They will be in standard wood. Although the optional woods look nice, they would call too much attention to themselves in an office environment. I am looking forward to receiving these and trying them out.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: ORDERED TRAPEZIUMS YESTERDAY
Reply #1 - 06/23/11 at 14:02:44

Congrats RR. I share your assessment on the wood finishes. I love some of those, but less is more in the office sometimes.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/30/11 at 02:57:49

My name is not on the waiting list.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
ZYGI
YaBB Moderator

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 06/30/11 at 11:41:04

RR

Not to worry....Sarah was on vacation the week prior, she is back this week, but has spent most of it trying to fix my mistakes while she was gone.

:-(

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/01/11 at 12:14:56

Just don't make any mistakes with these speakers!

55   IP Logged
ZYGI
YaBB Moderator

HR-ONE

Reply #5 - 07/01/11 at 15:46:04

RR,

Not to worry....It was administrative mistakes....All the speakers were perfect, as usual! Wink  In other words  S.N.A.F.U

ZYGI

IP Logged
markv

Reply #6 - 07/14/11 at 20:57:24

Hi RR - Are your speakers close to shipping?  I'm waiting to hear some reviews of this new speaker.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/15/11 at 00:11:45

I am on the Speaker Waiting List as James P from FL., order placed 6/21 still classified as new. They are being shipped directly to my office where they will be immediately placed in service.

55   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/15/11 at 18:08:57

RR, I am definitely looking forward to your impressions.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/16/11 at 14:07:55

I changed the placement of my existing office speakers by pushing them farther back.  I don't like the sound at all. It is more distant. I believe that these TRAPEZIUMS will be less finicky regarding placement. I have plenty of space to put them.

55   IP Logged
markv

Reply #10 - 07/29/11 at 12:28:35

RR - Looks like your speakers are in the testing stage.  Hopefully, you'll get the speakers soon and give us a review!   Wink

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/29/11 at 23:15:37

The traps are shipped. They should arrive on August 2nd.

55   IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 07/30/11 at 02:25:48

W00t!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/02/11 at 23:03:36

The TRAPS arrived today, packaged in a box that would withstand a catastrophe.

I pulled them out, and unwrapped them and set them up. I found that the speaker terminals would accept the bananas that I had terminated on the speaker cables.

Well, as you can imagine, it is a different presentation from what I had before. Sitting on top of the desk they project upward but I can tell that the sound is coming from a lower position than my ear had become accustomed to.  You really can't judge them by their initial playing time with AM radio, as out of the box they were a bit dry. Nevertheless I began playing CD later on and the sound was better than the AM radio.

They look better on the desk aside the computer monitor  than the old setup did. I will take them through a full break in and report back soon.  

55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/03/11 at 22:23:19

I pulled them closer to me on the desk and it sounds better. They are clearly in a break in period.

55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 08/05/11 at 12:44:14

I want to know how to use those screws on the side to control the bass response. Once they break in I want to tweak that.

55   IP Logged
ZYGI
YaBB Moderator

HR-ONE

Reply #16 - 08/05/11 at 14:51:24

Rivieraranch,

While there isn't a whole lot the screws can do, think of it as resonance control of the side panels. You could, if it weren't for the holes it would leave behind and unsealing the cabinet, remove the screws from the box completely. By tightening up the screws you would raise the resonant of the side panels frequency upward. The opposite by loosening the screws.

It doesn't lower or raise the bass response per say, but lets say the desk has a frequency that it resonates at with the speakers playing, this could give you a peak if the side resonated at the same frequency, so by tightening or loosening the screws this could help with that issue.

Again, its not a profound difference, but it does help.

Make sure you use a 5/32" allen wrench on both sides of the screw at the same time. We ship them with the screws as loose as you would ever want them, so tightening would be the way to go.
ZYGI

IP Logged
markv

Reply #17 - 08/11/11 at 14:34:43

Rivieraranch -

How's the burn in process going?  Sounding any better?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/11/11 at 23:39:56

I have to get used to the sound. It is different from what I had set up in there.

The speakers are gaining in warmth and detail as they break in. I shifted their position today slightly and began to notice the computer monitor "disappearing" as I had read about before on these. I played one recording and could hear the "studio echo." This is a very accurate presentation.

I decided to pop in some 6P14P-EV tubes in the TABOO with a CV4024 Mullard in front. This is a different presentation than using a 6P15P-EV and a 5814 (12au7) in front. There is more gain to the sound so this might help with breaking in the speakers. I always seem to return to the 6P15P-EV for the CCE modification and the detail in that.

I might end up making stands to elevate the speakers a little higher, for with the other speakers I became accustomed to the tweeter firing directly at ear level.

55   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 08/16/11 at 11:37:26

Now half-way into the vaunted "trial period" I decided to to an A/B comparison between the TRAPEZIUM and the Von Schweikert. I wanted to make sure that the TRAPEZIUMS were keepers.  I found that the Vons colored the sound, while the TRAPS let it all out. I am not certain that the TRAPS have to be elevated because they do sound better and perform better when firmly on the desk top. After the short A/B test yesterday, the Vons are going on the block and the TRAPS are staying on the desk.        

55   IP Logged
ZYGI
YaBB Moderator

HR-ONE

Reply #20 - 08/17/11 at 12:56:21

Rivieraranch,

Thats like music to my ears;-)  Not as much the fact that they are keepers, more to the fact of what they are replacing.

Von Schweikerts are well respected and reviewed, and to think the Trapeziums are in the same league, put a smile on our faces. Pretty amazing.
Mike and I had chances during our testing period to take the speaker around to a couple of different audio stores. We set them up on stands which weren't great for the bass response, due to the fact that the stands weren't wide enough to continue the port like the desk top does, but in all cases, they heard something they didn't with the name brands they carried. In some cases, the bass was better, much better defined than cabinets with 6-1/2" woofers.

Unfortunately we were never able to compare them to any Von Schweikerts.

ZYGI

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 08/22/11 at 00:31:18

I was in my office today (Sunday) and listened to the system a little bit. Since nobody was around I was able to turn the volume all the way up on the Taboo. It was remarkable the bass that these little speakers can slam against the desk top. I was packing up the Von Schweikert speakers to send to their new owner. I was beside the desk working on that. I would say I was about 4 feet to the left of and 3 or 4 feet away from the TRAPEZIUMS. The sound from the TRAPEZIUMS from that different vantage point was very open and natural. I had never heard them from a position other than right in front.

They have been in service 19 days now but due to being in a business setting they are only occasionally cranked up fully; sometimes near the end of the day and occasionally on the weekend. I am sure that this helps the break in.

55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print