Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:15:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Porting out the wicked one (Read 9627 times)
Heyden
Ex Member

Porting out the wicked one
06/23/11 at 04:45:38

Im planning on using this box for my car and had a crazy idea about porting the sealed part and running the subwoofer to ported spec. the subwoofer is the SWR 1022D. I have gotten the chamber as close to 1.3cuft as humanly possible and stuck in the slotted port to spec. This is all done on google sketchup and I just want to see what people think before I move it into action.

Please tell me what you think

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Re: Porting out the wicked one
Reply #1 - 06/23/11 at 13:41:10

Heyden

Are you adding what's in red so about 1/2 the compression chamber is double (1.5") thick?  Are you doing both compression chambers?  Is the vent size adjustable?  My thought was if you make the cutout in the outer "skin" as big as possible, then make a cutout 3/4" smaller all around through the red you would be able to use a "plug", flush to the outside, that you could adjust to the best sounding vent size - including no vent at all.

I have always preferred the sound of a vented/ported box to a sealed box so I'm thinking you might have a good idea here.

Dan

IP Logged
Heyden
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/24/11 at 01:46:58

Well I plan on using some Alpine Type Rs in the box and I followed the manufacturers specs to the "T". The box is exactly 1.3cuft and the port is 11'' x 1'' x 22''. So with the displacement of the sub and the port it should be just over 1cuft. Which would give it the optimum amount internal volume and port size.

I'm also slightly confused about what you mean by using a 'plug to flush to the outside'

Heyden

IP Logged
Hondab100s
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/26/11 at 03:41:57

I'm concerned about the low bass note being lost with a port added to the sealed portion...Ports usually lessen the excursion of a woofer which usually means less low bass notes to me one way or another. Meanwhile a sealed box provides good "spring" for the cone to gain its Xmax to its nominal limits...which is why box volume specs exist for most models...however these specs each have their own cons..which have been calculated generically in this design...so one way or another I would assume such a mod would degrade the designs performance...unless of course you are not trying to get the type of performance its designed for ...in my opinion...(SQ)...at least better SQ than a ported box anyway.

IP Logged
Stroker-Porsche
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/05/11 at 05:18:50

Wouldn't porting the WO make it more like a 6th order bandpass?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print