Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:07:02 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ERR and HR-1 (sortof?)/IT Radial comparisons (Read 100403 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

ERR and HR-1 (sortof?)/IT Radial comparisons
06/14/11 at 23:06:17

Today I received a pair of ERR speakers from Bob, without grilles. Man, they were well packed.

I know this pair has been pretty well broken in and when set up I recognized the bright and spacious sound of the RL2s as a main component to these speakers.

I fiddled with a capacitor, changed resistors and I have to say. . . right now if you told me "Lon, you can only have one pair of speakers or I'll shoot this dog, choose!". .. my immediate choice would be my beloved IT Radial speakers (which are very close to if not the same as the Turning Point Audio HR-1 speakers). I can't tell you right now if that is because I'm so very familiar with those beloved speakers right now, or if they are clearly that much more favored by my ears!

The ERRs definitely have that Radial room-filling sound to more of an extent than the IT Radials, which have a bit more of a conventional sound as the excellent front firing driver contributes a lot to the sound. The IT Radials have a better tonal balance right now for me and my room. The ERRs have a less specific imaging (to be expected) and a brighter tonal balance (I also sort of expected that.) There's less bass at the moment.

I've just begun to get to know them though, and my experience with other Radial speakers make me think I'll find them improved with the grilles in place, so hopefully those will come soon.

Thanks to Bob for getting these to me, and more impressions to come.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: ERR and HR-1 (sortof?)/IT Radial comparisons
Reply #1 - 06/14/11 at 23:49:24

Very interesting Lon. Thanks for the early impressions. Keep us posted.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #2 - 06/15/11 at 12:46:56

Lon,

Thanks for the compliment....

"IT"s all in a name, nothing more...."IT" stands for Isotropic, but thinking someone would have to look it up to see what it means (I did) I thought it would be best to change the name to HR-1, which "HR" stands for Hybrid Radial. Yours are the same as the HR-1's

For me, "IT" meant just that. This is "IT"! Just what I have been wanting in from a speaker. As you know its hard to beat the omni effect of the radial type speaker.

Your ERR radial driver is brand new, 20 hrs on it at best as well as any crossover parts. The tweeter on the other hand is well broken in. So you do have some break in time ahead of you.

Your grills on the other hand were over a year old and smelled like Bob's house, thus the reason I didn't ship them. The lady that sews them is working on them now. I just sent her 6 yards of cloth and she has used that all up and is waiting on more.

Pale Rider,

I don't think there is a better, more integrated surround speaker,  than ERR's . When I lived in the Phoenix area, I was around a lot of "High End" home theater rooms on a daily basis. We tried a set of RL-1.5 as LRC and rears, and to see the guys in the showroom with there chins on the floor was a site to see.   Even with the new room correction software, which I'm told you could lay on the floor in the back corner of the room and hear the same thing as if you were in the sweet spot. It doesn't come close IMHO.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/15/11 at 14:10:06

Good info Bob. I am looking forward to Lon's continued impressions, and to eventually reporting my own.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/15/11 at 16:55:46

Ah, thanks for the clarification Bob. It did strike me this morning that maybe the woofers weren't broken in as I heard the sound shift a little bit.  That may also explain why the bass didn't seem quite there. . . .

These are really attractive and well made speakers. They seem about 200 percent more heavy duty and serious than my RL2s. The Tweeter suspended on its arc seems more effective than the RL2 arrangement as well. As soon as I turned the system on this morning and put some Dave Brubeck in I heard that deep and resonant sound that the RL2s do so well. There is an improved sound scape as well, and I think if the bass fleshes out a bit more it will be a decided improvement on the bass from the RL2s.

The IT/HR-1 design is hard to beat and these speakers I don't think will ever diminish their status in my personal speaker hierarchy. The hardest thing to get right in my room is bass, I'm always diminishing treble to get a warmer balance, and the IT/HR-1 with the Torii Mk III has the best bass I've ever lived with. These ERRs already have a hint that they're going to be just fine in that regard.

I got used to that special sound that the IT/HR-1 have with it's additional driver and its more "encapsulated" radial set up. Pin-point crystal clear imaging and that "dialed in" feeling along with the spacious radial sound. I miss it a bit already! Smiley Still, this morning the ERRs have been drawing me in. Still not that many hours on them, so I expect to find them improving hour by hour.

One thing I can say is that they really sound good with my dvr as the source. That's my weakest source as far as fidelity and the IT/HR-1 shows me that with a little tapping of the foot as if to say "well, when are you going to do something about that?" The ERRs are adding a bit more forgiving depth and makes me just relax into that sound a bit more. That's a neat trick!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/15/11 at 17:17:14

Lon, great info, much appreciated. In a way, I am lucky that I am moving back to a high fidelity loudspeaker system, after being away from such for years. All my hi-fi is headphone based, and so I have a very different point of reference. My last hi-fi speaker rig was almost two decades ago. I think my focus will be on detail, and micro-detail. In that regard, the ERRs will be up against tough standards in my Jerry Harvey JH-13 Pro IEMs, and my Audez'e LCD-2 cans running on the Taboo. Detail out of the IEMs is extraordinary, and while soundstage is good, it takes another step up on the Taboo running in Lucid Mode. Soundstage and imaging on headphones is a bit artificial, but Lucid Mode will provide an interesting comparator to the ERRs. In my room, without comparing to headphones, the ERRs are just going to be an entirely new plane in my listening that I haven't lived with in almost 20 years.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 06/15/11 at 20:49:03

Well. .. the ERRs are going to be even more than that. They are not your ordinary high end speaker. Though you'll be able to focus on detail, in two channel you'll be drawn into the presentation of the sound, the ERR will present sound in ways that you are not likely t have thought of or heard.

And in a surround system. Wow. I can imagine that it is as jaw-dropping as Bob says it is. I can imagine it presenting sound like the ripples in a pond when a pebble falls in the center. It's going to really be something. It may take you away form detail and into . . .experience.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/15/11 at 21:05:35

Experience, or immersion, sounds good to me.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/16/11 at 00:42:32

This made me chuckle:
Quote:
Your grills on the other hand were over a year old and smelled like Bob's house, thus the reason I didn't ship them. The lady that sews them is working on them now. I just sent her 6 yards of cloth and she has used that all up and is waiting on more.
Difficult to imagine a more intimate, craft-oriented product development & delivery process.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 06/16/11 at 01:27:12

I agree.

And patience with Decware always pays off. Remember that! Smiley

Did a little tube rolling and that helped. The woofers are opening up a smidge. They've been running about fourteen hours.  I love the way this system sounds when it's been going all day.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/16/11 at 14:01:27

Patience indeed.

Anyway, Lon did you say what surface the speakers are on? Carpet? Hardwood? Have you spiked them? I seem to recall reading they were built for spikes; is that correct? Mine will be going on hardwood, so am contemplating what eventually to put under them, if anything.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 06/16/11 at 14:19:36

Mine are on short carpet.I belive that there are threaded holes at the corners of each speaker for spikes (none came with the speaker).  I had experimented with various spikes and footers on the IT Radial/HR-1 and actually found them best sounding just sitting flat on the floor once they were broken in; that was the perfect tweeter height for my sitting position. These ERRs have the tweeter seemingly a little lower than the other speakers, and as the woofers aren't quite loosened up, and the tonal balance is a bit thin, right now rather than sitting on the floor, and rather than spikes I have them sitting on the "balls" that go into Herbie Audio Lab IsoCups, at the moment the two front balls are the Gabon ebony ones, and the two back are the moss green in the back (extra balls on hand that I had from previous purchases; I didn't have eight balls of one kind on hand). The balls stay in place tucked into the threaded holes on the bottom for spikes. I don't really know if they do any isolating good, but they do bring the tweeter up a bit to more of a position that I'm used to for evaluating purposes.

Stonedeaf here uses the Herbie's Audio Lab "Gliders" on the bottom of the speakers. I used those for quite some time but was surprised to find that they added a sharpness to the sound that I didn't prefer compared to the speakers sitting directly on the floor alone; I moved the gliders to the feet of the redwood stand I use for my TV which also houses my DVR and ZDAC-1 and CSP2 on maple platforms. The Gliders work very well for that purpose, I also put them under the legs of the wooden former acquarium stand I have the components in my bedroom situatied on.

I'd recommend listening for some time with the speakers flat on the floor, that may well be the ticket, I'm definitely going to try that when the ERRs are broken in, and when they're in their home in my bedroom system, or their most-likely home.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/16/11 at 14:44:34

Thanks Lon. Good advice. I will wait to make a decision about what footers, if any, to use.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 06/16/11 at 15:46:08

I've been playing with speaker placement today. I had been keeping the ERRs in about the same areas of floor space that I had been using for the IT Radials/HR-1. I moved outside of that today and moved the speakers further back (and my listening seats further forward) than I'd been using before and that helped the tonal balance a bit.

It's still changing. I can say one thing though:  I had been very happy with my RL2s, and when these ERRs were announced and first available I had the suspicion that these were an improved design. Well, that suspicion is borne out. I haven't yet gotten the RL2s into the system for a direct comparison, but I feel that I'm already getting a certain type of bass response and a depth to the sound that the RL2 design hadn't delivered. . . .

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 06/16/11 at 16:37:55

Lon, I hope you keep up this stream of information. It is very illuminating, and I expect it to be very helpful when my ERRs arrive.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #15 - 06/16/11 at 17:00:19

Lon,

Your spikes will come with the grills, We package them with the grills as we haven't figured out a safe place to put them in with the speakers. As you saw the only empty space in the boxes was around the drivers, yeah I can see a spike going through the cone.

Also don't forget the tweeter bracket is bendable, so you can adjust for height to your listening position. Don't just bend it by pushing on the tweeter itself, if you are going back with it, place your two middle fingers behind the bracket while pushing against your fingers with your thumbs just above. Middle finges would be placed right where it screws to the driver. This puts no strain on the screws yet can allow you to bend it quite easily.

The bass comments surprise me, we listened to your speakers with Gatto Barbieri's "Straight Into The Sunrise" and they were pretty much spot on with the HR-1's with the 1's able to go lower.

ZYGI

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 06/16/11 at 17:12:31

Well, it is what it is bass wise. This room and this crooked little house has always been problematic with bass. There's weird things going on, with its wood paneled rooms, carpet over hardwood floor on pier and beam foundation, and about eighty years old now. I'll find just the right spot for the bass that doesn't mess with the other properties yet. And it'll open up a bit more. Maybe I'm just so accustomed to that "little bit lower" and maybe there's a lower mid-range that's not there yet that I'm missing. These ERRs are sounding better by the hour.

I'll check out the spikes when they arrive. Should be fun.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 06/17/11 at 21:54:43

I spent most of the day watching The Tudors Season 2, and not paying attention to the audio as much as when I'm playing cds and reading etc.

This afternoon I put in one of my favorite concert dvds, and it sounds fantastic!

Probably could  be a touch more bass but everything else is just right. The excellent recording is very well served. The acoustics of the church seem to be transported by that one microphone (I think) and right into my living room. I'm very impressed. The beautiful sound of the beautiful guitars on this (especially Ryan Adams' Gibson ES 355 Stereo ("Peanut") and that old Gretsch of Michael Timmons) is just clear as a bell, and the vocals are very well presented.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/17/11 at 21:56:19

Sounds sweet Lon. And I will have to check out that disc.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 06/17/11 at 22:07:56

Oh hell yeah. It comes in a cd/dvd package and it's pretty easy to find cheap usually. I like it better than the original Trinity Sessions cd. The guests (Ryan Adams, Natalie Merchant and Vic Chesnutt) make it special. Really precise slow groove based playing, and killer sound. Interesting visually as well.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 06/17/11 at 22:08:51

Found it. Ordered it. You are correct; not expensive.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 06/17/11 at 23:54:41

Okay, something's happened to the ERRs. They're sounding really full and deep. I first noticed it afther the Prince "New Power Soul" cd was started and when I put this Monk on it made me grab my bass violin and plunk along. I did okay for a few songs, but my stamina isn't there; I have to not neglect this instrument!  I gave up for now after two songs.

Okay, I made two changes. I got a package in from Herbie's Audio Lab and put IsoCup lampblack balls under all four corners of the ERRs. Heck they're only like 59 cents and postage. And I had ordered more baby booties because when I moved my maple platform and CSP2 and ZDAC-1 to the shelf on my redwood tv stand, I didn't have room to put the CSP2 on anything but baby booties, four. I added four more to the CSP2.

Either one or the other or both really brought out the bass response in the room. Not complaining, instead I'm grooving!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 06/18/11 at 00:32:09

Lon, that sounds like too much fun! So, did the filling out of bass happen before you put the lampblack balls under the ERRs, or after?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 06/18/11 at 00:40:46

After.

I know how to check if it was the balls or the booties. Smiley Back in a few.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 06/18/11 at 00:44:23

Okay. . . oddly enough I think it was the lampblack balls predominantly. I ran the Monk cd through my Sony BDP-S5000ES, which feeds both into the ZDAC-1 then the CSP2 and directly into the amp via analog outs, and it wasn't thinner sounding either way.

Odd. Maybe the ERRs just. .  . "turned a page." I don't think that changing footer balls from Herbie would make that much difference. I do feel they make a little bit of difference in the IsoCups. and I was using two different types (same two) under each speaker, and now using one. I don't know. I'm entering into audiophile twilight zone. Time to go meet my gal for dinner!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 06/18/11 at 03:18:26

Thanks Lon. Enjoy dinner. Lampblack balls would have to be the most cost-effective speaker feet ever!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 06/18/11 at 15:02:27

Dinner didn't happen. I couldn't pry her away from work. She stayed til 1. I did visit her there with a snack for her.

I think the lampblack balls make a nice isolator, the ball touches the floor at one point and the speaker at another, and the material is pretty neutral. I think the its possible however the change was more accurately attributed to the speaker cones loosening up a bit after a few days of use.

I've tried yet another speaker positioning in the room. Asymetrical, but my room is asymetricaly set up as far as furnisihings. A dryer sound, but perhaps a more accurate sound, a bigger sound. These speakers are fun to play around with, they are so responsive to both source material and the room.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 06/18/11 at 16:49:20

Hard work on a Friday night. That's dedication!

Do the balls stay put on hardwood floors? I have more IsoCups coming for my Toriis, and it might make sense to add a bunch of the balls in to the order, since they are so cheap.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #28 - 06/18/11 at 17:06:47

I would think they would, though I have carpet over my hardwood floors so haven't tried them. But with the weight of the speakers, well, shouldn't move.

My gal is the office manager of the state Supreme Court, and her working life IS her life for the most part. And she finally got a great assistant after years of having a very shitty one . . . but she's out on maternity leave, halfway through, six more weeks of leave. My gal is almost going crazy but she can't let things just 'lie". . . she has to have it all done and done perfectly. When she's gotten help she's had to redo most of it so she does most of it herself. When your boss is the Chief Justice (though in a real sense all nine judges are her bosses) you've got a complex job.

She totally amazes me. She's the most focused and dedicated person I know. And . . . the most loving and kind. One of a kind, really.

Everything is sounding nice today. I love the Radial sound!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 06/18/11 at 17:23:09

Lucky man. Happy for you.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 06/18/11 at 17:39:38

Save your happiness for when I can convince her to retire, again. Smiley  She retired and was asked to come back to work at the same position. I see so little of her. . . I want to have more time with her. Maybe when the term of the chief is over. . . in five years or so. Man . . . that's a long time to wait.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 06/18/11 at 17:46:16

Gotta take what we can get, man, seize it when it comes around. We have both had reason to learn that.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 06/18/11 at 17:51:45

Absolutely. And my gal has been a close friend for about 27 years. She's always in my heart.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 06/24/11 at 21:59:11

Well, it's been like six days since I posted. Been doing a lot of listening.

I've decided that just like with the HR1/IT Radial, the ERR works best in my room sitting flat on its bottom, no Herbie Audio Fat Glides, no IsoBalls, just sitting on the carpet. It may have to do with my height seated and tweeter height. Not sure. But that's definitely where I get the tonal balance natural.

The speakers have opened up more and I've played around with moving the components in my system around, moving power cords around, etc. Getting some great sound. I am starting to miss my HR1/IT Radials. . . even as the ERR improve I still feel the other speakers give me just a more refined and full sound, as they should. I'm hanging in with the ERRs. . . they sure do sound great. I'm curious to hear what they sound like with the grilles, and I'm also reticent to move them back into the bedroom without them, it's tight quarters in there and I don't want any accidents!

Yesterday one of my PS Audio Duet power center's MOV unit gave out.  While I wait for another, I moved things around so that my Torii and CSP2 are both plugged directly into the larger of my isolation transformers and the source components are connected to the functioning Duet plugged into the other isolation transformer. A bit wilder and woolier sound as a result, which I'm not warming to. I got weak and ordered something I've wanted for a while, a PS Audio Power Plant Premier. . . . Music Direct had a B Stock for less than half the original list price and that should be here tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing what that will do for my setup. As a bonus, my bedroom system will improve with former power components from this system. . . .

My one beef so far with the ERR is that though the bass is tight and sweet. . . there just doesn't seem to be the impact and depth to it that I get from the HR1/IT Radials, and I miss that. . . .

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 06/24/11 at 22:47:13

Lon, thanks for the detailed update. That PS Audio Power Plant is on my list as well. At one time, Upscale had a pretty good price on new units. B stock makes a lot of sense for something like that.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 06/24/11 at 23:37:35

Lon, I think you're a bad influence on me. I just ordered that same B stock PS Audio Power Plant Premier.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 06/25/11 at 05:25:15

Sorry about that my friend.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 06/25/11 at 14:41:57

Over at Head-Fi, they have a standard greeting:
Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry for your wallet.

All in, from preamps through speakers, including cables, I am coming in slightly hot on the budget. And only from a timing perspective. I had originally expected that, over time, I might have to spend way more to get the sound I wanted. Until I heard the Taboo.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #38 - 06/25/11 at 17:54:10

Well, in a way you are very fortunate that you've in one fell swoop corralled the best that Decware has to offer, and that's among the very best the world has to offer.

You're going to be glued to your seat, happy as a clam.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 06/25/11 at 19:12:44

I really hate the buy and sell merry-go-round. I love trying out gear, but the endless "quest state," that has an underlying tone of dissatisfaction, even unhappiness, detracts from the music. All hobbies suffer from this problem, but I think audio is even worse because the goal of reproduction of music is a quest for incorporeal perfection. Right now, it seems technology still has a horizon on its ability to recreate a live performance. So, we pursue this goal of the most perfect facsimile.

Living for 15 years in mid-fi land, and then returning to critical listening first through headphones, afforded me the luxury of deciding what facsimile to "settle for." ironically, despite all the technological change over the last couple of decades, the facsimile "types" haven't changed much. Although the value of simplicity seems to have had a renaissance, e.g., SET amps and full-range drivers, and the technological execution of everything is better than ever, the types of "reanimating life" are still recognizable. I expect the ERRs to remind me of my Ohm Walsh speakers. Just better, I hope. Do I expect them to sound like the $40,000 Orgasmatron? Meh, prolly not. But if they get me 90-95% of the way there, I will be a happy camper for a long time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #40 - 06/25/11 at 21:00:23

I'm with you, though I did enjoy the journey, now I just want to settle into the music and video of my collection and listen and watch and enjoy and not "tweak" and seek.

I was pretty much there . . . The ERRs finally arriving sparked another round of tweaking and reconfiguring to best adapt them to the system. And in the process one of the Duets died, and I found that I could not live with just one Duet in the system as comfortably as I had with two.  As it will take me a few weeks to get a replacement MOV via PS Audio, I sprang for the Power Plant Premier which arrived a few hours ago.

And which is another kettle of fish to stir, season and taste. It's not a subtle difference to the sound with the Premier in the system. Oy vey, back to square one of setting up and . . . well it's fun for now. This is quite a machine. Like my old P300, but on steroids. It has taken an edginess out of my treble that I am glad to have gone, and it has given my system an even blacker background to jump out of and startle me.

I'm almost ready to put the HR1/IT Radials back in. I think I prefer them to the ERRs by a small margin, and I'm eager to hear what they sound like with the Premier in the system now.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 06/25/11 at 21:13:26

Looking forward to your impressions. Do you have any pics of your HR1/IT Radials?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #42 - 06/25/11 at 22:05:00

I don't take photographs, I'm no good at it. I have some stock photos Bob sent me when I bought them, I'll look them up.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #43 - 06/26/11 at 03:51:37

Lon's pair is the one on the left....I hope this works

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #44 - 06/26/11 at 03:58:09

Bob, worked, thanks!

I'm going to try to attach one I found on the computer that I took really to showcase my "Jazz" Fender axes. The system doesn't look like that any longer, the TV is on its own stand, etc. and the ITs are not in "listening position."

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 06/26/11 at 04:04:41

Slick and sweet. Very, very nice. Very nice work Bob. The speakers and axes make a nice collection there, Lon.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #46 - 06/26/11 at 04:12:16

I really, really like the red one. They would go with my red Torii. Damn, there is always something cooler than what I have. How much cash do I need to scrape together? Anybody want to buy a Honda CBX or a BSA Goldstar?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 06/26/11 at 04:23:46

Donnie, I thought about you when I saw that red one. In the right room, that could be something stunning. Fit and finish on both look superb.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #48 - 06/26/11 at 04:56:26

Donnie, they are excellent speakers. I hope you get to hear a pair one day.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #49 - 07/02/11 at 16:44:58

Okay, later today I think I'm going to put the IT Radials/HR-1s back in the system. I feel that the ERRs are broken in and showing themselves to be a fantastic room-filling speaker. Man, I've rarely had the quality sound I've enjoyed this week. Kudos to Bob and Steve, and don't hesitate to buy a pair.

The bass has filled in and it's quick and full and the detail on bass guitar and bass violin and bass drum skins and heads is just luscious. The treble had been pretty much right THERE from the start because they had been broken in by Bob.

I had a long wait for these speakers, and they're worth the wait. I'll soon find out what they do in the bedroom. I think they'll be even better suited for that room than the RL2s or the IT/HR-1s. We'll soon find out.

The other thing that has been a component in this thread and this review is. . . the PS Audio Power Plant Premier. Wow. What a product. I am sorry I didn't address my Power Plant issues before. Yes, I was getting great sound with the Tripplite isolation transformers and the PS Audio Duet power centers. But. . . the Premier has taken every thing clearly to the next level. I now really know what my system is capable of.

In my case it may be that my house power is particularly dirty. The Premier has readouts which show input voltage and input THD in the power. I show fluctuations throughout the day and week of between 118 and 125 volts coming in. I also show THD of these volts of between 4.1 and 6.0 THD. According to what I see others posting this is HIGH. So perhaps that is why there is such a profound transformation of my system. But there is, regardless. Everything is better. There is a quieter background which allows a clearer and more dynamic sound. I can't tell you how transformed some recordings are. There's bass drums in Prince recordings that have become more vivid and pronounced. The gap between "live" and "recorded" has been a bit narrowed. I am very very pleased with this product. It's even more profound than placing a CSP2 in front of one of the Decware amps, which I am here to tell you is a marked improvement every time I've done it.  I regret spending the money on the Premier. . . I regret that I hadn't done it before, instead of now. I think this is worth a try in any system. I'm as excited about this as I am about all my Decware components because it shows me yet again just how fabulous each and every one of them are.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print