Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:35:10 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Question About Shuguang Treasure 6CA7-Z Tubes (Read 109915 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Question About Shuguang Treasure 6CA7-Z Tubes
Reply #100 - 09/16/11 at 07:14:24

That's exciting! Looking forward to your impressions of the amp in your system. 150 should give a nice start for the Torii and its tubes revealing their sound.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Gopher
Ex Member

Reply #101 - 09/17/11 at 03:13:40

I ended up throwing them in this afternoon after work.  I only got to listen for an hour or so before I had to go to a BBQ, but my first impressions were very positive.  

A very different, very pleasant presentation--far more meat on bottom and plenty of top end extension--I was a little concerned it might be a darker tube, but I'm not finding it to be so.  I actually perceived a little more resolution, picking up on some distortion I didn't know was present on te MOFI reissue of Cowboy Junkies, Whites off earth.

It will be interesting to hear how these things develop over time, but at least my first impression is that they have a more natural presentation as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #102 - 09/17/11 at 13:47:03

I ordered a matched quad to try as my current Winged C quartet is just past half its life cycle. Should be good by these reports!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Gopher
Ex Member

Reply #103 - 09/17/11 at 18:24:43

They ran all night playing the Isotek burn in tones disc and when I woke up today I wasn't as thrilled about what I was hearing.  Sounded a little more ambiguous and less engaging.  Kind of a distant presentation--I popped 'em out and threw the Treasures back in.  

I know the JJs have potential and can see they'll be capable of a lot, but I've got the house to myself today and I want to listen to music, not burn in.  I'll probably throw them back in overnight and keep 'em burning in  behinds the scenes.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 09/17/11 at 18:53:08

Mine moved around a fair bit for a long time. Seems like power tubes usually sound OK right at first, then move through mostly less-than-stellar stages to get to their sound...after about 80 hours, mine started more seriously revealing the detail again, and within the darker matrix finally began to result in what I think of as "warmth." A slightly rich, textural tonal signature that is not transparent but feels that way...colored a little toward the dark in the mid to low mids but also having a lot of pleasing detail, macro and micro, bringing out textures, sparkle and air. And the JJs did give a nice tight bass thing, with big body and good ambient information. But I only got part way through burn in before one started to fail! I hate that.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Gopher
Ex Member

Reply #105 - 09/20/11 at 02:40:27

I'm starting to think I may have spoken a bit hastily on these tubes.  They're pleasant enough and a definite improvement over the winged "c" tubes, but they're just less incisive/authoritative then the Treasures.  

I like them, but its hard to say better--its a different presentation.  I'd hoped I'd prefer them clearly and sell the treasures, but I don't think it will be that simple as both have their strengths...

Then again, we will see what additional burn in brings.  Also, I should try other reg tubes with these.  The 0A3s may be calling my name.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 09/20/11 at 02:44:13

Thanks Gopher and please keep us informed as they sort out.

How much time do you have on them?

IP Logged
Gopher
Ex Member

Reply #107 - 09/20/11 at 02:47:35

I don't really know, I took them out for a bit this weekend--maybe 30-40 hours of Isotek burn in time by now.  

They aren't bad by any means, damn good really.  I'm just not ready to pronounce them as slaying the Black Treasures yet, which I'd be happy to do if it were the case.  I haven't had much love in the past for black treasure/psvane tubes.

Anyway--who knows what another 50 hours will bring?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 09/20/11 at 02:51:36

Sounds interesting and fun. I suspect that they will need at least twice that with the Isotec CD. My wild guess was that they would need 150 hours or more of normal music to really come out in a big way, but this is totally a guess.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print