Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 09:50:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about room placement... (Read 8948 times)
BrianB
Ex Member

Question about room placement...
06/04/11 at 04:54:15

Hi folks!

I just joined the Decware forum, and am seriously considering ordering a TORII MKIII amplifier and a pair of ERR speakers in the next week or so.

I've long been a fan of omnidirectional speakers, and need no convincing when it comes to the sonic advantages of well-done radial designs.  And I have been lead to believe that the ERRs are not very fussy in terms of positioning.

That being said, the layout of my new apartment would necessitate me placing the speakers about 5' apart and about 1' from the rear wall, and I am wondering if I'll be compromising the sound of the ERRs by not being able to get them farther out into the room.  In particular, will I be missing out on much of their soundstaging potential?  And will I be at much risk for bass bloat?

If anyone here has experimented much with ERR placement, I would appreciate their thoughts on the above.

Many thanks!
Brian

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Question about room placement...
Reply #1 - 06/04/11 at 05:37:49

Brian,

Welcome to the forum!!!

I don't see any problem with the 5 foot spacing, as you could almost place the two feet apart and get a good image well beyond the width of the room.

Placing the ERR's one foot off the back wall, shouldn't be a big problem as long as its not that close to the side walls as well, I.E. corner. With the Torii-III which has a bass control knobs, should take care of any bloat you might incur. The passive radiator which is on the bottom of the speaker, between the base and the main cabinet, ports out the front and back. You could block the rear firing port, which would help if you were having problems.

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
BrianB
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/04/11 at 06:16:31

Thanks, Zygi!

The side of one of the speakers might be about 18" away from a 5' tall cabinet, but perhaps I can rearrange things.

Out of curiosity, what does close corner placement do to the sound of the ERRs?

Again, I LOVE omnidirectional speaker designs, but have found them to have very distinct personalities.  For example, I used to sell Shahinian Acoustic speakers as a dealer, and while the Obelisk was VERY picky about room placement, the Compass was perhaps the most forgiving speaker I've ever encountered - you could place a pair of Compasses on their sides and they'd still sound quite nice.

Too bad Shaninian's prices have gone through the roof over the past few years!

Cheers,
Brian

IP Logged
DougK
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/04/11 at 13:58:58

Hi Brian,

I've recently purchased both the ERRs and the Torii MkIII, and it's a fantastic combination.  I have the speakers about 1/3 of the way into the room from the back wall, and about 7' apart (room width is 12').  I'm still experimenting with speaker placement, but I love the sound from the combination of Torii and ERRs.  I can't imagine you'd be disappointed, especially with all the tube rolling you can do with the Torii.

Doug

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/04/11 at 14:37:04

Brian, although I haven't yet heard the ERR speaker (I should have a pair fairly soon, YEAY!) I have had other Radial design speakers Bob has built and lovet he sound.

You'll be amazed at the sound you can get from your proposed placement, and indeed in time you'll marvel at how the sound can change by moving the speakers even an inch or two in one direction. You should find the Torii and ERR combination to be extremely enjoyable. The Torii has just the right amount of drive and current for this type of speaker, allowing them to "be all they can be." Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your adventurous thinking. Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/22/11 at 01:54:58

So, Brian, how are yours sounding?

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pages: 1