Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 09:19:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii, input impedance, preamp and SET (Read 5479 times)
wilsynet
Verified Member

Mini Torii, input impedance, preamp and SET
06/04/11 at 04:32:29

I like the idea of the Mini Torii as it promises SET clarity with solid state control.

My preamp is a Shindo Aurieges which has an unusually high output impedance of 5K ohms.  Rule of thumb would suggest an amplifier of at least 50K ohms although 100K ohms would be better.  I love my Shindo and don't plan on giving it up any time soon.

1. Any experience out there mating a high output Z Shindo to a Mini Torii?  The input Z of the Mini Torii isn't given, wondering if it would be a reasonable pairing?

2. The Mini Torii has a built-in volume pot, and (from the literature) a built-in preamp gain stage.  So it's an integrated as far as I can tell.  Wouldn't I be better off without the extra gain stage if I'm he'll bent on using my Shindo preamp?

3.  I'm not familiar with this particular flavor of SET.  I'm wondering how one would compare it to the 300B, 2A3, and 45.

Thanks for any insight anyone may be able to provide.  Thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Mini Torii, input impedance, preamp and SET
Reply #1 - 06/04/11 at 14:33:10

Welcome to the forums!

I don't have a specific answer regarding the input ohmage etc. but I think that the preamp will work fine with the Mini-Torii. There IS an advantage to using a pre-amp in front of the Mini-Torii: you can use the two volume controls to add "weight" to the music using a natural compression and tailor the sound to recordings with a surprising range. Steve has written a paper on the use of preamps, and there is some information as well in the page on the ZStage.

I've a little experience (over a dozen years ago) wtih the sound of a 2A3 amp and a 300B amp and I would say that the Decware sound (as much for the circuitry as the tube types) is quicker and more accurate sounding than those, less romantic and slow sounding. Decware amps blend the best of solid state sound with the imaging and soundstaging dimensionality of tubes.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
wilsynet
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 06/05/11 at 06:57:29

Thanks for the great info; I'll look into the literature you mentioned to see if I can learn some more.  Thanks!

IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #3 - 06/27/11 at 05:56:14

Wilson,
    I have a Mini Torii set to arrive in day or two.   You are welcome to come by for a listen with your Shindo or I can bring it to you when I return your POwer conditioner which is still sitting by the door for me to return to you btw, sorry for the long delay:).
Cheers,
Morgan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print