Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 01:00:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help wiring 2 subs in the HW (Read 5328 times)
retrop
Verified Member

Help wiring 2 subs in the HW
05/05/11 at 19:59:58

My question is this, when using a 2 sub configuration in the HW, do you wire them parallel or in a series?  I do understand they need to be phased properly, but not sure what is the best way to wire them?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Help wiring 2 subs in the HW
Reply #1 - 05/06/11 at 15:42:01

Retrop,

The answer to your question lies in your equipment....In other words if you have 8 ohm speakers and an amp that will handle a 4 ohm load the wire in parallel. If your drivers are 4 ohm and your amp isn't stable to a 2 ohm load then you would want to wire in series.

And remember if you are bridging an amp it see as a load, 1/2 the impedance of the drivers.

Let us know what you have for drivers and amp  and we'll see what the best configuration would be.

ZYGI  

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
retrop
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/06/11 at 22:24:06

ZYGI-  thanks for the reply!  I wasn't sure if the two different methods would have any effect on the performance, but you answered my question.

I am looking at two different Dayton subs for the box.  The one I really want to use is the Dayton Reference RSS390HF.  It is a 4ohm sub with specs that very closely match the ideals given by Steve in the plans.  Not sure if I want to take them to an 8ohm load, but that is really the only choice with that sub.  Don't really see going the other direction to 2ohms as much of an option.

I am also looking at the Dayton IB385-8 Infinite Baffle Sub.  It's rating is 8ohms and also specs very close to the recommended specs.  These subs would allow parallel wiring to a 4 ohm load which give many amp options.  I have yet to get the amp and plan on getting the right amp to match the setup.

With all that being said, one other question I have had is, "is it possible to use a plate amp without screwing up the dimension of the box?"  My thought is that cutting the box to mount the amp will take up some of the interior cubic space, there-by changing the interior volume of the box.  I might be over-thinking the whole thing, but just curious if anyone has ideas in this issue? My preference is to use a plate amp.  

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 05/07/11 at 05:14:25

Retrop,

I ran 2 of the 295-130 Dayton drivers with good success.

If you are mounting the drivers on the two separate baffles, you can mount the amp in the center between the two drivers, without any effect on the box volume.

OR...You could build a attachable box for the amp and place it on the back taking up no room at all anywhere on the box.

ZYGI

IP Logged
retrop
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/07/11 at 06:11:21

Sounds good!!! Sure appreciate your input.  I am looking forward to getting this project going.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #5 - 05/07/11 at 12:32:28

Have fun and enjoy.....take pictures along the way so we can all see how it turned out.....

ZYGI

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print