Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 14:35:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trimming high frequencies? (Read 7444 times)
Jeffreyc
Ex Member

Trimming high frequencies?
05/03/11 at 04:47:56

Is there a technical basis for me perceiving a slight loss in high freq detail as the output pots of my Csp2+ are reduced below the two highest notches? The 3rd and 4th stops from the bottom actully give me the best volume control in my sensitive system (32db gain for amps w. 1.25v in sens.) but this setting just doesn't seem to give me as much energy up top (cymbals, chimes, etc.). If it is real it might a better alternative to maggie's tweeter resistors. Am I just imagining this bc of the temporary volume increase, and is there any disadvantage to keeping the csp2+ outputs wide open with the inputs alternatively trimmed down in my system? Still not hearing hearing sig. hum through the MMGs .

IP Logged
Jeffreyc
Ex Member

Re: Trimming high frequencies?
Reply #1 - 02/24/12 at 02:38:41

After several months of evaluation, comparisons to other preamps, tube rolling, etc., I have to say that my initial impressions were most likely a placebo due to the volume increase between the last two steps.

With the right tubes and the output pots at any of the lower positions, I've been able to retrieve HF detail and dynamics equal to or better than anything else I've put into my system. This is a truly great preamp that I will be happy to live with for a long while.  

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/24/12 at 03:36:39

You are not alone.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/24/12 at 03:38:42

I love the flexibility of the CSP2 as well. A great tool for me in my second system.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/24/12 at 12:08:21

I currently have a phono signal coming in through the CSP2+ and alternately through the preamp portion of the old receiver that contains the phono preamp to the amp. The CSP2+ wins out every time.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print