Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:44:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How many watts will the Taboo drive into 16 ohms (Read 7442 times)
MikeyLa
Ex Member

How many watts will the Taboo drive into 16 ohms
04/26/11 at 09:08:48

I'm specifically thinking of using the CSP+ / Taboo to drive Zu Audio Superfly's, they are 16 ohm speakers.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: How many watts will the Taboo drive into 16 ohms
Reply #1 - 04/26/11 at 16:37:26

With 101db efficiency, at least as spec'ed, I cannot imagine that would be a problem.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
MikeyLa
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/27/11 at 06:31:31

I'm new to this, but I thought a doubling of Ohms would halve the power and 3 watts is at the min for the SuperFly's.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/27/11 at 13:57:21

I am still thinking that 3W of Taboo power should be enough for a very nice experience with a speaker that claims 101db of efficiency. But would be best to get input from someone who has listened to the Taboo on such a load.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #4 - 04/27/11 at 23:02:13

With a classic solid state amp the answer is pretty easy, 1/2 the power at 16 ohms than what you get at 8 ohms.  This is with the amp being a voltage source that can drive either 8 or 16 ohm load to within a fixed percentage of the fixed rail to rail voltages in the power supply.  The maximum output voltage is a constant and the output power varies inversely with the load (within a certain range).

With a tube amp its a little harder.  The tube amp acts more like a current source than a voltage source, and a 16 ohm load, being easier to drive, will allow the amp to develop more current up to and until you run into the peak to peak voltage output limit that is set by the power supply, output tube, and output transformer.  All that said, the easiest way to figure it out is to just measure it.  I don't have a Taboo, but I do have a tweaked Zen that uses the same output transformer as the Taboo.  On my amp, at 600 hz, I'm getting 6.3 vac out into an 8 ohm load just before clipping (5w) and I'm getting 8.2 vac out into 16 ohms (4.2w).  I would guess, based on these numbers, that the Taboo should do at least as well at 16 ohms, and possibly a little more.

Dan

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print