Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:18:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Minimalist" ERR setup? (Read 3534 times)
übergeek
Verified Member

"Minimalist" ERR setup?
04/24/11 at 06:01:42

Just curious, but what would be a good, economical "minimalist" setup using the ERR speakers? This is assuming using a Decware amp. I've been reading up on all of the products, the white papers, etc. Since I have no direct experience with tube gear, I'm getting a little confused over what would be appropriate to use with these speakers.

I first considered the DM945's. But the description of the ERR's sounded enticing, now I'm wondering if they would not be a better choice in the long run. Maybe the ERR, then later an Decware amp, then go from there as needed or desired...

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: "Minimalist" ERR setup?
Reply #1 - 04/24/11 at 13:04:34

Ubergeek

I'll try to answer both your questions in one post.....

DM945 4 ohm is probably best with a SE84C amp. they sound great with the Minitorii as well as the Taboo.

Minimalist set up with ERR's....I can enjoy the Minitorii with the ERR'S as I did the Taboo, but you really need a pre amp or a ZStage with the Taboo to bring it to full power. With the Mini, I can get the volume loud enough for me, and loud enough to awaken your neighbors if you live in an apartment type situation.  So it gets plenty loud enough.  I'd be willing to bet the SE34-II would do the same thing as the MiniTorri as far as volume, but I haven't heard the combo in my room, and can't remember what it sounded like at Steve's place.

Hope this helps

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: "Minimalist" ERR setup?
Reply #2 - 04/24/11 at 14:31:40

Here's my two cents. I haven't heard the ERRs, I'd really like to, and maybe someday soon I will, but I have had the RL1 and do have the RL2 and the speaker that Bob builds that was called the IT Radial when I purchased it (now I think it's very similar to what he calls the HR-1) and I've driven them with Select, the SE34I.2, a pair of SE34 Monoblocks, a Torii Mk II and a Torii Mk III amps from Decware.

My recommendation is very simple and very clear: save and buy a Torii Mk III to power them. Other than the Mk II and the Mk III each amp strained to get the music out and fill a medium to large room with these speakers and some sources. With the Mk III now offered you'll have all the current these speakers love and headroom and dynamics that make the music breathe and pulse. And in time you can add a
CSP2--which is what I have, wow!--or a ZStage and further tailor and enliven the sound. You'll be 'future proof' with ERRs and a Torii Mk III. You'll have the heart and soul of a lifetime system.

Read. Learn. Obey. Cheesy

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print