Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 12:41:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Intermittent Amp Power-up -- Possible Causes? (Read 6692 times)
MarkBlair

Intermittent Amp Power-up -- Possible Causes?
03/31/11 at 18:32:15

I wrote to Steve about this a few days ago, but I still haven't heard anything back -- so I thought I'd throw this open to the forum.

I've had my new SE84C+ for just over two months, and intermittently (roughly 3-5 times so far) within the past week or so when I turn the power on (using the amp's power switch), nothing happens.  And there's no apparent power applied to any of the tubes.  In one case I had to turn the amp off and then back on (again, using the amp's power switch) something like 4 or 5 times before it then powered on.

Then, one time when it didn't power on, removing and re-inserting the rectifier tube then made it work the next time I flipped the power switch on.

So -- any ideas what could cause this?  Even though the tube is still within the 90 day warranty, I don't want to send it back for exchange if this could be something else.

Any thoughts?

By the way, even though I have a very tiny bit of hum audible from my nearfield monitoring position of about 30" away with 90dB PMC TB2S+ speakers, this is a **great** sounding amp!

Mark Blair

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Intermittent Amp Power-up -- Possible Causes?
Reply #1 - 03/31/11 at 18:37:29

I think there's a strong possibility it's a bad connector/connection on the rectifier tube. This has happened to me recently with one of the RCA 5U4G rectifiers I was using in my Torii Mk III. I replaced both with new cryo'd ElectroHarmonix 5U4Gs and there was not a problem after that. (And I was surprised that the new tubes sounded as good as they did.)

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
MarkBlair

Reply #2 - 03/31/11 at 20:36:44

Thanks, Lon.  I guess the rectifier tube would be the easiest fix.  I have a couple more weeks before my 90 day tube warranty expires, so I'll do a bit more troubleshooting -- but I suspect you're probably correct.

IP Logged
Brett

Reply #3 - 04/01/11 at 19:59:12

Thing is if it were the rectifier tube then the heaters would still turn on and it would appear that the amp was on, except the B+ wouldn't be there to power the amp.

So if by nothing happens you mean the tubes don't light up when you hit the switch, then it must be a loose connection somewhere before the power supply. This could include the fuse, or even the power switch itself. First thing to look into is the IEC power cord connection. If it is slightly pulled out or in at an angle than it might not have full contact. Also the fuse itself (after diagnosing its connection within the fuse holder) can be the culprit. Could have a invisible fracture in the fuse element itself.

The tube heaters are directly wired to the power transformer so if they are not lighting up then the problem has to be somewhere from the power transformer on back to the wall plug.

IP Logged
MarkBlair

Reply #4 - 04/10/11 at 06:29:33

Brett -

Somehow I missed this brilliant response.  Thank you!  I was just about to mail the rectifier tube back to Decware for a replacement, but you're obviously much more familiar with how a tube amp works than I am, and your troubleshooting logic seems quite convincing!  So I'll do more troubleshooting...

Mark

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print