Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 06:44:03 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Decware Zen ULTRA  six channel preamp (Read 113702 times)
lovethemusic
Ex Member

Re: Decware Zen ULTRA  six channel preamp
Reply #100 - 06/06/11 at 23:50:31

Pale Rider, sounds like fun. Are you consolidating systems into one or expanding a two channel?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #101 - 06/07/11 at 00:02:22

Alright! Ultra building team. . .it's almost like something in a science fiction movie!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 06/07/11 at 00:10:22

Quote:
Pale Rider, sounds like fun. Are you consolidating systems into one or expanding a two channel?
A bit of both. For a variety of reasons, my HT and my listening room are the same. Historically, my critical listening has been via headphone. The ULTRA made me decide to change that. So, going all in: ULTRA, two Toriis, an 84ZS and 3 pairs of ERRs.

Lon, that is too funny! Grin

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
lovethemusic
Ex Member

Reply #103 - 06/07/11 at 01:14:09

Wow, that is a beautiful system. Let me know the details around dialing in the sound after Zen Ultra break-in. I'd be most interested. I have a similar plan except I want to consolidate two systems. Wife would really like to get upstairs main room back. It's got a full blown two channel set up. tThe problem is selling stuff nowadays is not that easy I am finding out unless I cut prices way down to serious loss and I do not like that but may have no choice or put everything in attic.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 06/07/11 at 04:44:38

I hear you ltm. I sold some stuff at a loss, thinking it better that it have a home. The only Decware equipment I have now are the Taboo, ZSTAGE, interconnects and power cords. But those were enough to convince me I had found something that could be my end game for some time to come. So, I took the plunge. Will definitely keep the group apprised of progress. Should be easy to break the Ultra in, because I won't have anything to connect it to for a while. Will hook it up to the Oppo, play the Esoteric Isotek CD for about a thousand hours. Wink

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 06/11/11 at 20:45:29

I wonder when Steve might set up an Ultra forum under the Tube Gear section. Anyway, I have this feeling my Ultra and ERRs (or at least some of them) will be done before my Toriis. Will make for interesting break in. Guess I could cob my Taboo from the headphone rig for a while until the Toriis show.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 07/12/11 at 21:49:26

Actually, it appears hat almost everything is going to be done in a similar time frame. My first Torii arrived yesterday, my Radials shipped today, my Ultra is packed, and that leaves just the second Torii and the Zen SE84ZS.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #107 - 07/12/11 at 22:05:16

GREAT NEWS!

You really must connect the Torii to a pair of ERRs as soon as you can. That's what it's all about!  Once you spend a few days with that combo, you'll be very happy you formulated this plan.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #108 - 07/12/11 at 22:27:47

Lon, how are you feeling today about your ERR/HR-1 comparison?

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #109 - 07/12/11 at 22:43:40

I love both of those sets of speakers. They're different enough, and similar enough.

Right now I've been truly enjoying the ERRs. I've gotten wrapped up in their enveloping sound, and now that they're really broken in they're letting me hear the system in an excellent, different way, as I get myself slightly tangled in tube and power changes.

I truly enjoy the way they add dimension to the sound of my Blu-Ray player and my DVR. They let me just slip into the soundfield. They're excellent for most musical material as well. The HR-1 is sometimes the preferred vehicle for cd playback, because it brings a precision to well-done studio recordings and less expansive material such as string quartets, jazz trios and quintets, among others. But the ERRs bring a lot to the table even with these.

Ideally I would have both speakers somehow in the same spot and could wave them in and out of the signal path with a magic gesture. Hmmm. . . that's not going to happen. So for now the ERRs are here entertaining me in the living room.

IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #110 - 07/17/11 at 16:13:23

Greg,

How are things going over there?  Did the ERRs arrive yet?  Was that for a pair or all 6?

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 07/17/11 at 16:22:08

Hey M: the ERRs are due here Tuesday....all 6 of them. Bob shared with me some of the build process, and some of the ideas he tried out while building my three pairs. It really is great to get hand-built equipment, built by the people who actualized their own ideas. Every single one of us truly has an individual work of art and science. One pair should be built "in reverse," with the tweeters firing backward, so the binding post and wiring remain behind the speakers. Can't wait to set them up.

IP Logged
Costas
Verified Member

Reply #112 - 09/08/11 at 20:20:49

Pale Rider,

Any updates yet on your setup?
Please, let us know how it works out for you...
Thanks!

To Be or Not To Be! That's the question...
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #113 - 09/08/11 at 23:47:58

Costas:

I have been posting impressions and experiences on other threads in this, the ERR, and the Torii forums. The primary challenges with the system have been around convenience (source switching and input controls having been a significant issue). The system itself is amazing. Sound quality, soundstage, detail, tonality, dynamics, all just amazing.

I may have a microphonic tube or two in my Ultra (I put Nationals in the Ultra, allegedly platinum grade from Upscale Audio), so I am going to spend a few hours next weekend bird-dogging that.

Greg

IP Logged
lovethemusic
Ex Member

Reply #114 - 11/21/11 at 03:48:15

It must not be broken in uh?

IP Logged
lovethemusic
Ex Member

Reply #115 - 11/21/11 at 03:51:07

PR, the break in on a tori w/ vcap is extreme in case you haven't found out, my sounded broken, garbled, like someone was banging on the turntable. The all of sudden 1200 hours later and 300$ in electricity bam it opened up and now I need to upscale all the other equipment. It's that amazing.

IP Logged
lovethemusic
Ex Member

Reply #116 - 11/21/11 at 03:52:29

whoops, PR, I see you popped for am Ultra and a tori how may I ask is it all working out. I know the tori is great but how do you like the Ultra so far?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #117 - 11/21/11 at 12:38:52

Uncharacteristically, PR has not posted in a week or more. I hope all is well.

If you look through the board, you'll find that PR is quite pleased with his Ultra and Torii Mk IIIs.

IP Logged
lovethemusic
Ex Member

Reply #118 - 11/21/11 at 15:32:05

I'm still in the process of building a speaker kit with a 97db efficiency on the top and midrange driver only for my Tori III w/ vcap as the two 12" drivers on the bottom are pushed by their own 370 servo amp. I put some Jupiter caps in the crossovers of my Open Baffle speakers. To go along with that set up I will put a highly tweaked Oppo 95 from EVS or Tweak Audio still out at the job. Can't wait to see if all this so called fancy less expensive stuff is really any better or as good as the mega buck stuff. I am sure it's still all in the details. I hope to hear great things of the   Ultra as once I can I want one to stomp all over this Meridian G68.
I'm just around the corner from that, but do want some feedback on the Ultra.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #119 - 11/21/11 at 16:35:44

Wow, that's a lot of power for 97db speakers.

If you put "Ultra" into the forum search engine and select Pale Rider as the "posts made by" you'll get a string of all his posts on the Ultra. I believe he is the only one who really has posted impressions as an owner.

IP Logged
lovethemusic
Ex Member

Reply #120 - 11/21/11 at 18:10:49

I asked Steve and he said the amp would work great with this speaker. He's aware of the speaker I got. I think your right though, its really going to have output. We'll see, currently the amp is hooked up to 91db and it clips pretty easily if cranked at all so I know 91db in my big room is no good. The amp is only pushing a 12" MID with a big built in forward and back firing modified tweeter so only time will tell.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #121 - 11/21/11 at 19:29:24

Cool. It's such a great amp!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #122 - 01/23/12 at 21:31:50

ltm, it sounds like it should be a great pairing. As Lon has noted, I have posted a fair number of time about my experience with the Ultra and two Toriis.  I love the combo. Just this weekend, I posted in the What's Spinning thread my experience with having the Ulta/Torii/ERR combo kick the ever-loving' crap out of my drywall and floorboards.

I recently replaced the National tubes inmy Ultra with some 1960s NOS Siemens-Halske 6922 tubes, and they seem to have opened up the dynamics quite a bit. Simply superb stuff.

I have owned and/or built a lot of equipment in my life, but nothing that brought as much pure pleasure as my Decware system. The 69 Lotus Seven comes close. Well, it's second, but it's not really close.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print