Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:58:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Black figured wood base (Read 9813 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Black figured wood base
03/26/11 at 20:04:49

Can anyone tell me what kind of wood the figured wood base is made of?
I'm figuring either poplar or possibly MDF.
The reason I'm asking is that I put up a picture of the Torii on my desktop monitor at work this week. Several people have asked my why I have a picture of light bulbs in a casket!
So I'm thinking about either painting or staining the base after mine is delivered. Staining is probably out of the question, so I'm thinking about painting it red. I don't think I have ever heard of a red coffin with light bulbs in it!
Yes I know that I could of had a base made from walnut or any other kind of wood but I really like the "figuring" on the standard base, and I just want to "Punch" it up a bit.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
seank
Verified Member

Re: Black figured wood base
Reply #1 - 03/26/11 at 20:35:51

I wonder how it would look if you applied gold leaf?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 03/27/11 at 00:05:11

If I could get it sealed up well enough, a white pearl would look nice. I have some buddys that are auto bodymen.
One other option that I have is a piece of 303 stainless steel billet that is laying on my shop floor. I don't know if the world is ready for a 140 lb. Torii.
This is starting to sound like a episode of "Pimp My Amp", stop me before I get some spinners.

IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/27/11 at 00:50:15

I'm seeing ZYGI tomorrow.  I'll ask him about the composition of the base.  Any other questions before I go, either post here or shoot me a PM.
--Mac

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 03/27/11 at 01:41:34

Mac,
Thanks for asking ZYGI about the base.
The only thing that I have to ask him, is to please make the best damn MG944's he has ever made when he makes mine. No pressure.

IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/27/11 at 22:45:30

Donnie, figured wood can be made any color that available just by using dyes or dye stains and then using a clear lacquer on top. Curly maple (Big leaf maple) or a light color wood of any species (sycamore,anegre,etc) respond well to colors that are just slightly darker than the wood itself. Automotive paints beside being toxic to your indoor environment can crack as the wood expands and contracts. Standard lacquers, solvent or waterborne work really well for what you are trying to achieve. I like the red idea myself.....

IP Logged
JLM
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/28/11 at 12:33:04

I'd be tempted to have my own base made to get something cool like granite.  

I'd also like cherry, but wonder why there's a $100 upcharge - call me cheap.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 03/29/11 at 00:47:36

I'm really leaning towards a Chinese Red Lacquer. Nice dark red over tha black that comes on the Torii. No more "casket with lightbulbs" look.
I really am going stir crazy waiting for my new amp, DAC, and speakers.
I know..... mellow, mellow..... everything in its time.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #8 - 03/29/11 at 01:07:38

Mike,

What Donnie is talking about is the Blak molded base we sell for the Torii-III and the CSP/SE84 style bases. Not like curly maple or anything like that.

Donnie,

The wood is a poplar base, Maple rope and literally Baltic birch as the larger piece of molding. Just like the plywood, when baltic is used to make molding, it chips splinters and fuzzes up when sanded.

Jeff,

There are two reasons for the $100 up charge for cherry or any other wood for that matter.

First, if Steve ordered different woods at the time he ordered bases we could do that, but on his end, say he ordered 6 of each wood, inevitable he would sell out of one wood much faster than the rest, sometimes having to hang on to the odd woods for more than a year. So for him not to have to hang on to so much inventory and for me to keep my price to him lower, we went with one standard wood. Believe me, if you think one wood was a better seller than the next, it never seems to fail when you order more of the wood that is the most popular, it would be the last wood anyone wanted the next go around.

Second, if we do get an order for a specific wood, we would have to go get the wood for one amp base. This is about a 70 mile round trip, then you have to set up to make one base, this all adds a lot of time and gas for one base. When we make our usual MDF run, if we had just built a run of bases, we stock up on the wood we use, saves us the time and expense on travel and time away from the shop. With the custom woods whether it be cherry, or what ever, the wood is so poor these days (especially cherry), has so much sapwood we have to buy a 6" wide board just to get a 2-1/2" wide piece, without any sap showing on the base.

What we actually use is ribbon sliced sapele and every inch of the width is useable, which means little or no waste due to sapwood showing. The wood itself is about 20% higher per BF than even walnut, but its worth it.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
JLM
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/01/11 at 12:38:13

Thanks for the reply.  We haven't bought furniture since we moved into the house we built 5 years ago, but all the main floor stuff is solid cherry.  Maybe I should stop by a store to see what the replacement cost would be.   Shocked  Come to think of it, nearly all the higher end furniture stores within an hour's drive have closed in recent years.

Didn't realize cherry is so hard to come by.  We have a pretty good lumberyard for hardwoods and exotics about 10 minutes from where I grew up.  I a wood butcher (and a bad one) but love to stroll through just to see what they've got, what some of the species look like raw, and of course smell the sawdust.

I recall trying to build a lamp from zebrawood in high school.  Tough, but it kept shredding when I tried sanding it.  I appreciate the stocking issues.  Around here oak is everywhere, but I don't care for it.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print