03/28/24 at 14:07:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Torii order (Read 3207 times)
vmax
Verified Member

New Torii order
03/14/11 at 03:44:12

just placed My order a few days ago, will make a nice addition to My system...  ;)

IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Re: New Torii order
Reply #1 - 03/15/11 at 06:11:00

I've been looking at alot of speakers that are high efficiency for the Torrii, since right now I have a system that's not set up for use with tube amps...

nice to see all the options on Decware's site, leaning towards the HDT design right now, I guess I'll just  sit back and relax until the Torrii is delivered, any suggestions on speakers? looking for the surreal type 3-d type experience, so I can just hear things that shouldn't be ale to be heard, realism Smiley  ..

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/03/11 at 14:14:28

Just pulled the trigger yesterday for two new Toriis. Steve said he had a waiting list of 54 folks. At two amps per week, that is a wait.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 05/03/11 at 14:18:10

Congrats! Hope you don't have to wait that long!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/03/11 at 23:07:19

Thanks Lon. I have a pretty good spot on the list. I was very impressed by the length of the list. Bodes well for Decware business.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 05/04/11 at 02:34:31

I've had mine for a few weeks now. Some of the best money I have ever spent. Well worth the wait.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 05/04/11 at 17:56:44

I received e-mail notification that the Torrii is on it's way, it will be nice to have a new amp in My system... I don't get rid off things so it will stay in the system indefinetly; btw, it's My first tube amp, really like what's been said about it and the aethetics are very pleasing.....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 05/04/11 at 20:03:11

Wow vmax, you're first tube amp and it's a Torii. . . you're lucky to be starting out with one of the very best! Congrats, and be sure to let us know of your impressions when it arrives!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
.:.impossible
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 05/04/11 at 20:44:14

Wow. A six month wait! Certainly not an impulse buy!!

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/05/11 at 21:32:08

Probably a good thing at some abstract level. Decware is much less expensive than other equipment we might see as competitive, but it shouldn't be an impulse buy. Decware strikes me as representing a truly zen, "less is more," Einsteinian "make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler" model. Not every buyer is suited to that model. I think one of the things about the wait time is that it encourages scouring the user manual and spending time here in the forums. All good.

IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 05/11/11 at 03:01:37

I received the Torrii and the tubes today... packed nicely for it's journey.  After placing the amp in it place and hooking up the power cord and rca connects and speakers lines, I installed the tubes..  I probably went out of sequence per the instructions, but all is working very nicely.  

A very nice way to spend the afternoon, anyway, decided to listen to david wayne.   After about five hours of operation, the amp started to go from nice sounding with a very interseting presence, due to the quietness and harmonics to 3 dimensional.   I really enjoyed hearing the change, the instruments basically originating from the side and also what seemed to be from behind.

Excelent, as far as the volume, it plays loud enough for Me and even louder than that.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 05/11/11 at 03:37:44

Ah!  So it begins! You are really going to enjoy your amp as it burns in and settles in and in a month you'll be spoiled with rich seductive sound. Smiley

You've just changed your listening life! Congrats.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/11/11 at 03:52:39

Now my appetite is getting whetted. I don't even want to admit to myself what $ I have committed to, and I haven't even bought the speakers yet! Congrats vmax, and enjoy! And please report on your progress.

IP Logged
vmax
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 05/11/11 at 04:28:22

years after some of your other amps have given out, I know that's happened to Me, your Torrii will possibly just need a couple of new tubes, and still sound great..not a bad investmen of $.

speakers, yeah that's something I was thinking about too, I bought the planes for a couple of designs here from Decware, just have to tool up some time in the future to build the cabinets..

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/11/11 at 04:53:51

Speaker problem solved. First pair of ERRs ordered.

IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 05/21/11 at 00:34:51

A new Torii MK III with 300 hours on it went up for sale on Audiogon.  It has the V-caps.  From what I have read, 300 hours isn't near enough time for the caps to break in.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/21/11 at 01:09:47

Interesting. I wrote and asked him some questions. Given the current wait time for a Torii, I don't doubt he will get takers. I am interested though not yet convinced on a Torii as my center amp.

IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/21/11 at 01:31:50

I hope he responds to your questions  I had a similar idea to write him but knew I'd probably get all wobbly in my determination to wait until Zen Fest before making any decisions.   Must. Wait. For. Zen. Fest.

Besides, I let my priorities get all messed up this month with my wife's birthday and decided to go for a small remodeleing project on the house.  

::)

IP Logged
C.E.
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 05/21/11 at 02:50:50

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading (some of) the forums regularly and decided it was time to comment...

Having been somewhat of a DIY'er for a few years, I stumbled upon the Decware website about two years ago. My mission at the time was to build a tube amp. I had completed a few projects and felt good about my thought process and solder/risk/reward balance.

After looking at Steve's Torii amp design notes, I decided that either:

a) He's read my mind, gone back in time, and already built (and perfected) my dream amp....OR

b) This guy is seriously good and this is God's way of telling me not to mess with high voltages.

I chose b) and was lucky enough to have my girlfriend get me the Torii III (VCaps and Attenuator Upgrade) for my birthday....I know...I'm not worthy.....

So.....my thoughts to everyone:

1. I've used V-Caps in applications before, so I wasn't scared. They take a LONG time to break in.

2. If your source is up to the task, this amplifier (with V-Cap mods) will melt you. The musicality, weight, and "timbre truth" are unbelievable. It throws an awesome soundstage and delivers the music equally well at all volumes. If you really like your source and aren't sure of the upgrades (the amp will still melt you), buy the Torii minus the upgrades. It will be the best money you've ever spent on an amplifier.

3. Read Steve's design notes. He specifies speaker sensitivity ranges and other goodies. It's wonderful stuff and extremely helpful. I don't know of any other designer/business owner/stereo whisperer that walks you through the thought process and shows numbers plus graphs.

4. The Torii with V-Cap mods takes a MINIMUM of 1000 hours to break in. From 30 minutes to about 1200 hours I was continually surprised at how this amplifier changed. The end product was WAAAAYY different than the beginning product. Chunks of my hair were lost in the process. Steve (because he's Steve) was always patient and interested in what I was hearing. Ok...so I may have called him a few times.

5. Believe that final "sound quality" is only 50% equipment. Room treatment is the other half. Spend wisely.

6. The only tubes I changed were the rectifiers. I went with some NOS RCA's and haven't looked back.

Rock on.

Chris

Mac Mini (Amarra)>DIY (TDA 1541A, Ian FIFO) USB Dac (Tube Output)>Torii III(V-Caps, Attenuator)>Zen Styx>C3-L Monitors/Model H Sub (plate amp)
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/21/11 at 02:53:53

It is broken in! I did most of the breaking in for Karl. Sounds fabulous.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 05/21/11 at 14:06:33

Chris,

WELCOME!

I'd be scared to have V-Caps installed and go through that 1,000 hour period. . . . I've finally just settled into listening and enjoying and don't want to imperil that.

But I'm so glad you've gotten a Torii and love it. There's nothing else I've ever encountered like this amp. I sound like a crazy person sometimes on other boards when people are recommending silly things and I mention Decware with enthusiasm.  I can almost see the eyes rolling and fingers rotating near the cranium of the Marantz, Jolida, etc. devotees. But I can't help but recommend this amp to anyone serious about music playback.

Love love love mine and it brings me joy every day.

Glad you posted and feel free to continue!

IP Logged
C.E.
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 05/21/11 at 16:07:28

Lon,

Yes...the V-Caps aren't for the faint of heart...
If I hadn't used them before, I wouldn't have opted to go that way. Now I'm glad I did. I think the V-Caps work best in preamp and amplifier stages like where Steve uses them in the Torii.

I usually don't jump to other sites just because I think Steve's stuff is so good and most of the folks that post on the Decware forums are "of like mind". I don't have the time or inclination to get into technical arguments with people that have nothing better to do. It seems like the people posting here are just sharing experiences and sometimes want to "bounce" ideas or ask a quick question.

The thing (I feel) that people (that aren't familiar with Decware) don't appreciate is Steve's body of work. I hope more people tune in to what he's doing...

Mac Mini (Amarra)>DIY (TDA 1541A, Ian FIFO) USB Dac (Tube Output)>Torii III(V-Caps, Attenuator)>Zen Styx>C3-L Monitors/Model H Sub (plate amp)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 05/21/11 at 16:16:10

I'm right with you. I don't bother with other audio sites much at all. Will look about when I'm interested in information and that's about all.

My major interaction between others online about audio components outside of this forum is at the Steve Hoffman forum. It's an interesting place. I find that the musical opinions there are pretty myopically focused on old music and stressing out about "mastering" and their equipment choices are pretty mainstream. There are a few Decware users there and a few open to equipment like Decware, but only a few. I mention Decware when appropriate. Here's hoping more will begin to understand.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 05/21/11 at 17:40:13

Lon, I occasionally visit the Steve Hoffman forum as well. Some fairly knowledgeable folks there, but few seem as open to the Decware experience as I might have expected. I also spend a lot of time at Head-Fi, and a little at some DIY forums, but I find this forum much more relaxing. But my wallet is starting to bite back when I reach for it. After this discussion today, and reading  the other assessments of recent Torii orders, I reached out to Sarah and changed my two pending Torii orders to include VCAPs. I am almost grateful it is not an option on the Ultra; and if it is, I don't want to know. Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 05/21/11 at 18:16:57

Wow. Well, alright, going for the gusto! I know that about the wallet. Mine has a muzzle on it.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 05/21/11 at 20:06:06

Several factors played into this:

1. Your and others' sentiments about not wanting to let go of the Torii once in the system, and my gnawing sense that I would want to get the V-Caps in there eventually anyway, so why pay to ship the amp three times, and lose a couple of weeks with it minimum;
2. The positive reviews here and on other products;
3. I checked the V-Caps site here: http://www.v-cap.com/teflon-capacitors.php , and the reality is that even at bulk prices, Steve's upgrade cost seems very reasonable.

I also found and ordered the Esoteric Conditioning & Rejuvenation Disc mentioned by another poster. I know Steve recommends playing music during the 5/5 break-in cycle, but I thought I would give this a try as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 05/21/11 at 21:12:56

Rationalizations fully-formed and in place. Smiley  Seriously, makes sense in your situation.

If I ever feel that I need a change I could always add the V-Caps. . . but right now I don't want to mess with anything. It's that good.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 05/21/11 at 23:55:37

Man, 1000 hours for the V-caps. I don't think I could take it! 200 is enough for me. Couldn't someone come up with a way to burn in caps and then just slip them into the amp!

But speaking of difficulties getting Toriis, here is a tempting post on A-gon.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1311189930&/Decware-Torii-MK3...

I seem to recall that Steve will transfer the warranty on Decware stuff if they check it out first. The seller says this amp is up to current levels and has only 100 hrs. If so, it must be either new or have been modded with the bass knobs fairly recently (since this is relatively new) and who knows, maybe Steve would just transfer the warranty having had it in hand recently! If interested, it could be worth a call to Steve.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 05/22/11 at 14:23:59

That makes two NEW Mk IIIs with 300 hours or less on them up for sale in 10 days.    The one I noticed is also the one Chris K just broke in for his friend Karl (mentioned above and elsewhere) and is the one with the V-Caps.

I also noticed that the owner of the one Will found is also selling a ZDAC.

Wow.  What an opportunity!!  Do I really need to Wait. For Zen. Fest?

Undecided

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 05/22/11 at 14:25:07

Will, you are so right, that is a great deal. That's two in the last few days.

IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 05/22/11 at 14:49:11

Decided to ask both owners a few questions.  I really wanted to wait for Zen Fest before making any kind of a purchasing decision.

It'all all your fault, Greg.  You've ordered so much stuff from Steve lately that it'll probably be 2012 before he can even get to the new orders that come in this week, let alone an order placed in October.

Wink

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 05/22/11 at 17:07:47

Here is the V-cap one from Karl...300 hrs on it for 2700 with 26 days on A-gon.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1308941042

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
C.E.
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 05/23/11 at 02:17:03

I can't believe there are two Torii's available...
That's like dividing by zero. That just doesn't happen. Jeez, someone will be getting a heck of a deal.

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 05/23/11 at 12:49:04

To clarify I played Karl's V-caped TORII for him for several hundred hours while he was having his speakers serviced. This amp is not mine as Lon's post might suggest. Karl's amp is for sale.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
kana813
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 05/23/11 at 22:04:52

The problem with ordering a Torii with VCAPs, is you can't return it if doesn't work out in your system.

My understanding is both of the Toriis currently for sale would need to be returned to Decware for a check up in order to get the lifetime warranty.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print