Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 06:29:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DM944 that look like DM945 (Read 7041 times)
bladesmith
Ex Member

DM944 that look like DM945
03/10/11 at 23:59:30

Hi, this is my first post on this forum.
Last week I ordered a zen triode integrated amp (can't wait for it to arrive) and had the good fortune to "win" a pair of DM944 in black walnut veneer from eBay. The chap had bought the 944's with a zen amp, found the amp drove his speakers with no problem. As a result the DM944 speakers were used for a day, then boxed up and stored in a cupboard for a little over two years. I think he was telling the truth as the speakers sounded OK to begin with but over the past two days of use have really come on song. The thing is I am not sure what these DM944's of mine are as they have squared edges, are  9 inches wide, 10 deep and 16 inches high. Is this a transitional model? does anyone know if the DM944 was offered in 4 and 8 ohms or just 4 ohms? Does anyone know what the sonic range is. IE is it the same as the DM945 given the fact that my 944 cabinets are the same as the 945 or does the ohm rating effect the sonic range? My speakers have single binding posts in a round plastic surround and the drivers are not flush.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: DM944 that look like DM945
Reply #1 - 03/11/11 at 03:09:36

Hi bladesmith,

Welcome to the forum.....

I'm not sure what you have there. The first, and I mean very first DM944's had the rounded corners at the top and bottom, and were only 8" wide.

Then we switched to the square corners and went to a 8-3/4" wide, drivers at this point were not flush mounted. These ran for about 5+ years now,  so they weren't transitional for sure.

With that said, I never built a pair 9" wide until the switch to DM945's,  Plus I don't show any built with black walnut. We did black oak, which is painted oak veneer.

The rest of your dimensions are spot on.

They were only ever available in 4 ohm which works better, for the most part, with Decware amps.

The frequency response of the DM944 and DM945's are the same. We just switched to the better binding post, a better cap on the tweeter and flush mounting the drivers. The binding posts on the 945's offer the ability to bi-amp if one chose to do so.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
bladesmith
Ex Member

Re: DM944 that look like DM945
Reply #2 - 03/15/11 at 15:05:14

ZYGI, thank you for the help. Yes you are bang on the speakers are 8 3/4 inches not 9. Not sure on the veneer though, looks like walnut to me. There are no medullary rays which I am use to seeing in oak, perhaps the timber was Dosse sawn. These were sold to me by a chap in the UK is that is any help. Anyway, nice speakers, they seem to reveal a large amount of detail, more so than my other speakers. Perhaps this is due to there being no crossover? I am looking forward to trying them with my decware amp when it is delivered in a few weeks time. All the best, Richard.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print