Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 21:10:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini Torii has  arrived at my house. (Read 10709 times)
tybee
Verified Member

Mini Torii has  arrived at my house.
03/09/11 at 23:57:06

A couple of years ago, I visited Steve's Decware central prior to Decfest to audition the Mini Torii and Torii.  I was also treated to the pre-release of the Z-Dac and Corner Horns.  I was impressed with the Mini Torii and vowed to purchase one at some point.  Recently, I happened to purchase a lightly used one, and it has already made quite impression on my 96 DB Coax speakers.

I am using some vintage 12AU7s, 50s rectifiers, and Pope 6V6s with the remainder standard issue tubes and the tone, and bass are just as I remember when auditioning this little amp that can at Steves.  I will report more as I start rolling more tubes.  I have over 20 different 12AU7 types and many more vintage 6x4 types most that have not been mentioned in Mini Torii threads previously.  I also will be acquiring additional power tubes to see how much can squeezed out of this little beauty.

IP Logged
tybee
Verified Member

Re: Mini Torii has  arrived at my house.
Reply #1 - 04/10/11 at 16:43:04

I have been tube rolling input tubes with the Mini Torii, and I have found a favorite tube for now, the Amperex 7062.  My tube rolling of 12AU7s, 12AT7s, etc, were frustrating as I felt that the best from the MT had not occurred when compared to my other SE amps.  I discovered in my tube stash the Amperex 7062s and decided to give them a try and wham!  The MT came alive.  The sound became more dynamic, with more inner detail starting to reveal itself. On good recordings, the soundstaging and instrument/performer was much clearer and identifiable. My Tonian TL-D1 speakers are known for their excellent reproduction of percussion and the addition of the Amperex 7062 has provided the best percussion that I have experienced. almost live.

I would appreciate any comments on changing from the OA3 to the OC3 tube might change the sound with the 7062s.

IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #2 - 06/26/11 at 06:06:25

Hi Tybee.....how has the tube rolling progressed for you?  I have a new MT on the way to me and wanted to hear what your experience has been so far. Thanks so much,
Morgan

IP Logged
tybee
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/26/11 at 15:05:32

Morgan,

First, let me say that I am not a big 12AT7 fan, but I gave the MT a workout with many vintage 12AT7s in my stash.  I did like the 6072s for a very detailed and bold sound, but I have finally settled on E80CC for the signal tubes.  The E80CC is like a super 12AU7 but provides a nicely balanced sound.  The E80CC is puts just alittle less weight and substance into the sound than a 12AT7, but more so than a 12AU7.  It seems to have a bigger soundstage and tighter bass.  I have not tried a 12BH7, but good ones should also benefit the MT.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/26/11 at 16:13:29

tybee, which E80CC ddi you put in the MT? I happen to have a Philips that I have not yet tried in my Taboo.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
tybee
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 06/26/11 at 16:17:06

I have the older Valvos (gold pins) as well as Philips and Tungsram.  Many like the Tungramss, but I prefer the Valvos.

IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #6 - 06/27/11 at 05:51:02

Thanks Tybee.....I have a pair each of the E8OCC and a TungSol 12 BH7A that I was hoping would work well......am I correct in assuming that the 12BH7A will work without a hitch?  

What 6v6 tube did you find best to your liking?  And what kind of music do you "tube" your amp:)?  I have a pair of Zu Omen Definitions and I like to listen to all genres except classical.  I ask because I read tons of message boards and very few people seem to appreciate that different people like different sounds, especially if they are listening to different types of music.  Having said that, I am in search of the perfect amp and tube combination that works equally good with jazz, vocalists, rock, and even electronica.    :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 06/27/11 at 13:34:59

Congrats on the arrival of the Mini Torii! I'll bet you've had quite a lot of enjoyment with it.

I hear you regarding the different sounds and different types of music. I've been on a quest to find a system that does all music well. I've focused on the classical and jazz musics in order to determine that.  I find if I listen to amplified instruments a lot it's hard to find a reference point, whereas listening to a Beethoven solo piano piece or a string quartet there's more of a "pure" sound to seek reproduced properly. Once that is established, everything else sounds pretty much the way that it ought to.

And if you listen to lots of non-audiophile recordings, there's a certain balance of detail and euphony to reach so that even the lesser quality recordings sound great. This can be a hard balance to find. I find that attention to clean power and selecting the right cabling can be an answer. AFTER you've lucked out on the right source. The source can be the biggest element.

Everytime I get really close to there, I somehow manage to step back. I'm close again. I need to just stay put! Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tybee
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 10/30/11 at 15:13:28

It has been awhile since I have updated this post, but I am continuing to enjoy the MT with no tube changes.  I am currently using Mazda 6x4s, Pope 6V6s, and Valvo E80CCs.  As winter approaches, I will have more time to experiment with other tube combos, but I really prefer the E80CCs with the MT.

Many on other forums have commented that E80CCs may be the best 12AU7 type tube, but it must be used carefully and does not work well in all systems.  It can sound overly aggressive and too punchy in some systems. Before using it with the MT, I never found that it worked well in other pre-amps that have come and gone. With the MT, it fits between a true 12AU7 and a 12AT7 in sound quality.  12AU7s seem to offer a softer, laidback sound in my sytem with the MT, while many 12AT7s seem to offer the negative qualities of the E80CC mentioned above. The E80CC offers a better balance, offering the ability to experience detail in good recordings while providing the musicality that many often seek.  

I recently picked up a CSP2 to match with my other SET amps, and I really like the flexibility the CSP2 offers.  I have not used it with the MT as I am quite happy with my MT, standalone.  

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/31/11 at 02:18:10

You don't need a preamp with a Mini Torii.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print