Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using birch (Read 492 times)
ClassA
Ex Member

Using birch
03/03/11 at 08:49:06

Hey all,

I was always taught to build enclosures with 11-13 ply birch and have been for a wile now. All I see is MDF in here so I was wondering if its because its so dense or just because its cheap? I plan on building a WO out of birch, so does anyone have any reasons why I shouldn't?

Thanks

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: Using birch
Reply #1 - 03/03/11 at 19:30:44

I use MDF because it is cheap( ??? $30/48" x 96") and availably. It is easy to work with and if you mess up it won't hurt your feelings like a scrap piece of birch. If I had someone who want birch and was willing to pay I would be more than glad to try but I am sure I would measure four or five times then cut.  

If you have the skills and the money I would definitely build it out of birch. Just my two cents.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
ClassA
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/03/11 at 21:13:05

lol yeah I'm pretty anal when building enclosures so I measure a few times before cutting. Thanks for your input.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 03/03/11 at 21:25:34

ClassA,

At the time we I started building the WO's WO32's and the like, Baltic Birch was about the same price as MDF per square foot. So price wasn't the issue.

I did build a WO out of Baltic birch, and hated it. When I told Steve about it, and this was years ago, he said it was more likely to be the piece of junk drivers I had installed in the cabinet. Which he was probaly correct, given the absolute junk available for car audio. Either way, I went with MDF and haven't looked back. We now use a double pressed MDF which is denser that regular MDF, works like regular MDF but isn't as hard as HDF. It weighs about 15 LBS more than a good quality MDF and about 20 Lbs more than the cheap crap they sell at the home improvement stores. I think the added mass is more beneficial for bass cabinets.

Either way the choice of material is more of what the driver needs as a system, and not,  this is the material to use regardless of drivers to be installed. This is my opinion.

You have to be very careful with Baltic, it splinters very easily, even after everything is machined, you can catch an edge and run a splinter the size of a pencil right off the surface. That can ruin date night for sure.

I only build one cabinet out of baltic birch, and even it uses braces made from MDF. Customer choice, and design!

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
ClassA
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/04/11 at 08:14:42

The only thing I can get around here is Home Depot MDF and its not bad but I usually chose birch. Yeah I have leaned the hard way to router my edges when using birch lol. I'm definitely going to do some research on the double pressed fiber board. Thanks for you input.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print