Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:29:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HELP!!! L-O-N-G time to open the Decware forums (Read 18533 times)
mac5u
Ex Member

HELP!!! L-O-N-G time to open the Decware forums
03/01/11 at 00:45:55

I hope someone really savvy with computers and with bulletin boards can help me out here.  It takes me between one and two minutes to open a forum window in either a new tab or new window.  Ditto for opening a thread.  When I log-in, it takes the better part of two minutes for me to log-in. When I post a message, it takes the better part of two minutes for the window to open, and when I submit the post, it takes at least a minute before the message gets posted.

Some useful details.
1.  I only have this problem with the Forums portion of this website.  The other parts, such as the product pages, white papers, etc. open after just a moment's wait.

2.  I have an older Dell computer (2003).  I am running Windows XP.  I use a cable modem.  Pentium 4 2.4 GHz processor with 512 MB of RAM.  I am not sure about the graphics card I have but the computer was bought in 2003 so that gives you an idea of the older graphics card I may have.

Maybe updating the graphics card and adding more RAM would help but what is it about the Forums that is causing me this trouble? I don't have any issues accessing any other portion of this website, or any website for that matter.  

This is driving me crazy as it takes me hours to just open and read throught the threads in a forum.  

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: HELP!!! L-O-N-G time to open the Decware forums
Reply #1 - 03/01/11 at 10:54:19

I am no computer expert, and I also have trouble with the forum pages, but not in downloading them, but in them jumping up and down, making all but impossible to read. In your case however, it might be about your computer. What I did was to hire AOL computer help to access my computer remotely and fix the problems that I was having. I figured better them than me, and it was worth the price($20 per month for computer maintainence). Hope this helps.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/01/11 at 11:00:24

I would seriously consider updating your equipment. An entry level DELL INSPIRON with 3 GB's of RAM, 64-bit Windows 7 Operating System, monitor, and all the latest gizmos lists for $479.00 on DELL's website. Someday they are going to toss XP and stop providing support for it. At that point you would have to buy a new operating system.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/01/11 at 19:10:11

Upgrading is certainly an option and one I will explore later on.  I'll probably try a Mac though and I am not ready to go down that road yet.  Besides, after having just made it through most of the threads on the ZStage, I think I want to try that in my system.

For some reason, my computer and the Decware forums just don't play well together.  If I had this problem with other websites I could narrow it down to either my computer / software / modem or ISP provider. If I had the problem with all of Decware, at least that would tell me something too, but it is just the forums, and not just one or two, but all of them.  

I could maybe call the tech support for my ISP and see if they have any suggestions.  Who provides the Decware support on the Decware end?  Is there someone there I can reach out to?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/01/11 at 21:10:09

mac5u, Will here. I hate to be offering support when I don't know exactly what is up, but I may be able to address a few things you are thinking about. I use Macs and always get discouraged using Windows, mostly because for me, the Mac is less problematic and easier to figure out intuitively, both in general and when troubles arise. As the systems and programs get more complex, this can become less the case, but for my mind, I always feel encouraged to explore for answers myself with the Mac.

When we first were looking to get a computer many years ago, we asked everyone we knew which to buy, and the answers were very interesting. All the Mac folks said something that had affection in it. "i Love my Mac" "Its so easy...or so fun...." "It works like I work"...And interestingly, on the Windows side, across the board were comments like "get a real computer, why would you buy a Mac?" Or "Windows are better than Macs" or "you can get a lot more programs for Windows and Macs are too expensive!".....and the like....nearly all defensive. Huh

And when we looked closely, though you could buy cheaper Windows computers and lots of Windows programs, once you figured in all the standard features on the Mac.... quality parts, reliability, user friendly considerations, and program features, the Mac was either not more expensive or very little more, plus being easier to enjoy. And software-wise, though the Mac did have less options, it had everything we needed and when we bought commercial software and shareware that did not come with the compiuter, there were always programs with good ratings...not a dime a dozen, but plenty for our needs. That made it a no brainer for us. Buy the system that is designed and made for ease of use, and with good parts, but most importantly, one users tend to have affection for!

Now, when I help friends that have changed over to Mac....by far the biggest issue is helping them not to be afraid of their computer...to feel free to explore and find solutions themselves without dead ends, and "illegal exceptions" and the like. This may be different with the latest systems....but heritage means something in something as progressive as computer design and the Mac approach has always been more approachable for me.

But the forum issue.....I agree with you, why just Decware forums? In this case, I would try a different and current browser before going to a lot of other trouble. Have you tried Firefox? On a Mac it is quite good and being open source and from geek land, they keep the technology pretty up to date. Presumably the Windows version will work well too. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/system-requirements.html

There are css and html protocols that may effect internet performance using an old rig with outdated software. Also there are Java versions and flash versions that may need updating. But who knows...if you download the free Firefox it may just do it. And perhaps, if not, follow any update schemes it suggests once it is installed and working....it might help you get that Zstage 1st! Wink

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/01/11 at 22:43:22

My Dell is the same age as yours, no problems here.

Lin

IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/02/11 at 18:46:11

Will,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll try a different web browser when I get home.  The site works great from work.  Could be a bad thing for me....

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/02/11 at 19:34:47

Also, I hear from a friend who is a geek that Service Pack 3 for XP is the one to have, and can be found in the downloads area of the Microsoft site. It is also the latest for the system. This alone may fix it. If you don't know how to se what you have. Click Start, then right-click My Computer, and go to and left click Properties. The window will tell you what you are running.

Best of Luck!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
don pettit
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/03/11 at 00:53:39

yes mac,  have had the exact same experience you are having.  started about a month ago after having perfectly normal experience for several years.  contacted steve to see if i had displeased someone there.  was told they did not do such things.  he said he would check into it.  no word so far.  have three decware pieces and am highly pleased with the quality and performance.  no problems with any other portions of the website or any other portions of the internet for that matter.  whay to do?  perhaps in the immortal words of tom waits and southside johnny,  "walk away and start over again!!"  don pettit, long beach, washington

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 03/03/11 at 02:39:52

Hey guys, I just used Firefox to access the forums(am on it now), and it solved the crazy jumping around of the screen that was making it difficult to read! Thanks for the suggestion. Finally, after all this time, I can use the forums easily. Hope that it stays that way....

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/04/11 at 00:11:55

Don, I don't wish this problem on anybody so sorry to hear you are having similar problems.  Yours just recently started;  I have never had any luck ever with this web site.  I'd like to think Steve will look into and give you some ideas.

Will, I tried using my wife's laptop which has Firefox installed and it's a no-go.  Next I installed Firefox on my son's computer rather than mine.  He is a special needs kid and he doesn't surf the Web at all so I figured his computer would have the least amount of issues that might accrue from long-time, heavy web usage.  Same results.  Man, I was hoping Firefox was the quick fix.  Both computers have SP 3.

Bummer.

Next step is to call my ISP and see if they have any ideas.  I am also going to try and get help over at the YaBB forum.  Even though it is not for consumers who have problems but for folks like Steve who use it to power their forums, maybe someone there might have an idea.

If neither of those work out, the next step is to pull one of the computers out of my home network, plug into a different network and see if I can eliminate the machine.  

Can't help but think there is just some weird ju-ju happening between my home network and Decware since it is only the Decware forums that are giving me the dickens.

One nice,cool thing about Firefox on this website:  I used to have to Left Align my posts to get them to look right otherwise I'd have sentences that were formatted in different ways such as one line of a paragraph being centered and others being indented in a few spaces.

4krow, good to hear Firefox fixed your problem.  It didn't fix mine.  :(  
Edit:  I see my smilie above didn't show correctly though.
Roll Eyes

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/04/11 at 01:19:31

Ju-ju...man sounds like it...very weird problem! I just checked my XP SP3 using Internet Explorer on a Virtual machine on my Mac. All good at Decware forums. Since three computers in one house do it, seems like you are on a good track looking to your ISP, or network devices and software, but whoa, such a labyrinth.

Good Luck.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print