03/28/24 at 16:37:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FRX in ZOB  reviews (Read 37076 times)
walt
Ex Member

FRX in ZOB  reviews
02/15/11 at 23:33:12

Anybody building with the FRX that had an opportunity to use the original drivers for the ZOB?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: FRX in ZOB  reviews
Reply #1 - 02/15/11 at 23:47:04

Walt,

I think the first sets of FRX driver are just being shipped. I just checked my tracking number and I should have a set by tomorrow, and I can't wait just like a kid at Christmas. The ZOB's are already built, waiting on the drivers.

I've listened to Steve's recording of the FRX's and I have to say I like the recording better than the CD.

I'll let you know my impressions once I give them a little break in and then a good listen.

ZYGI

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 02/16/11 at 00:53:57

ZYGI,
 I am also waiting for one of the first sets of drivers to arrive. My order is probably behind yours by quite a bit, but that just gives more time to select the proper wood, and of course, build the cabinets. Medex has been mentioned as a viable product, and I will look into it soon. I will look forward to your impressions and helpful hints concerning the mounting and break in of the speaker.....

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
baka
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 02/16/11 at 07:44:44

@ZYGI
@4krow

I pleased you afther brake in period, please share with us all informations about the new FRX babies  :)
Also some photos will look nice  ::)

thx. in advance

“Fundamentally, the amplifier should make people happy.” SET-LAW
  IP Logged
baka
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/02/11 at 19:33:06

@ZYGI
@4krow

I pleaed you for a litle Informaions about first impressions  ::)

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 03/03/11 at 02:27:32

I think that it would be very cool to see the build process of the driver. It sounds as though there quite a few steps to the process of making this driver.
I just learned yesterday that my driver was on backorder even though my order was placed before the announcement. I will begin the cabinet build at the end of March, so I don't know how long the build will take. There are a few refinements that I want to make on the appearance of the build, meaning, it will probably take more time than what I usually use to build this cabinet. I am still looking for a material that is appropriate for the box. And then there is the finish to consider for the box....

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #6 - 03/03/11 at 03:00:21

Baka,

Sorry about that, we have been so busy, I never gave it another thought about posting something.

First off, my first impression was my only impression as they had to be shipped the following day and I feel asleep after about an hour of listening.

What I can say, right out of the box,  they had the Fostex drivers beat. Way more weight in the lower midrange, bass response was consistent, as compared to the ZOB with the Fostex drivers. With the Fostex, there would be a note here or there that you would say wow, where did that come from. With the FRX the bass was very detailed as one would expect, and like i said earlier, consistent.

I did, experience a bit of shout on some Alison Kraus songs, but it was pretty loud, and I would think, just like the Fostex drivers, this would smooth out some with break in. The fact that my Torii-I has the most ballsy midrange of any amp I own, and I didn't have time to try the Mini Torii, so this may have been a factor too.

We did try the ZOB out in the shop, with just a Zen Kit, while the shop is probably 4 times the size of my listening room, the little Zen seemed to smooth things out a little bit. They definitely filled the room with music.

I only wish I had had more time to break them in, but thats life here at the shop.
ZYGI

IP Logged
baka
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 03/03/11 at 06:04:40

Manny thx. for the reply  [smiley=dankk2.gif]

IP Logged
Damien
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/06/11 at 00:54:54

I have just now finished cutting wood for my ZOB build. On the waiting list for the FRX's. Looks like I'll have cabinets built several weeks before I have a driver to install  [smiley=sad.gif] Such is life I suppose.

Taboo, CSP2+, ZOB's, FRX2's
WWW k919596   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 03/06/11 at 04:01:59

I had an interesting idea today while at the lumber yard. Looking for material that might be appropriate for the ZOB build, I spied some composite decking material. This material is really dense and heavy. I would like some input from you guys about this material for the box portion of these speakers. I was thinking that even if just the sides of the box were made of this material, it would be enough to dampen the cabinet sufficiently to use other, less heavy material for the rest of the build..... Huh

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #10 - 03/06/11 at 05:58:33

4Krow,

In the interest of science....try it and let us know how it turned out...

On the other hand, you would have to build a set in MDF as well for the science to be proven.

You have the time....;-)

ZYGI

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #11 - 03/06/11 at 15:14:38

Yah, and another set out of leggos  heh  heh

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #12 - 03/12/11 at 03:01:32

Has anyone ever tried making speakers out of Perfect Plank? I was a patteren maker a few years ago and when we had to machine anything out of wood we would use either Perfect plank or Ren Board.
Perfect Plank is finger jointed lumber. We mostly used Mohogany, but sometimes Alder. Both machined nicely.
Ren Board is a composite, somewhere between plastic and wood, it machines real well and was easy to work with.
This place sells them.   http://www.freemansupply.com/PerfectPlankSpecia.htm

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #13 - 03/12/11 at 03:11:39

Hey thanks for the idea! I am open to such things....I just requested a quote from them for 27 board ft of alder. It is one inch thick, but I have a planer,  he he

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #14 - 03/12/11 at 04:01:13

4KROW, Not a problem, glad to be helpful. If anyone needs any info on materials, machining, CAD or anything like that, I am your man. 33 years in machining and manufacturing engineering have taught me a lot of neat things.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #15 - 04/04/11 at 02:53:05

Well, I finally got my materials together for the build. Cherry(1 1/2") for the baffles, 11ply baltic birch for the sides and bottom, and solid rosewood for the top and back of the box. I've started to cut out the materials, but have plenty more to do. I know that it is early April, but I'm hoping that the drivers come in soon so that they can be built, and then shipped to me.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 05/10/11 at 03:31:06

Ok, just to see what happens, let me ask,   Does anybody have a clue as to when the FRX drivers might be coming in other than May? Not that I am in a hurry yet, 'cuz I'm still working on the cabinets and have a way to go yet. I only get an hour here and there with my present schedule. While I continue to build the cabinets, the drivers could be breaking in..... Tongue

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/10/11 at 13:12:33

Well,
They are out of stock at Parts Express untill 6-16-2011. So unless Steve bought all of the stock that was to come in May you will be waiting untill after that to get them.  :(
But Steve is the only one that can confirm that.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #18 - 05/10/11 at 15:02:13

man, sorry i asked.....wonder if the source was from Japan?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #19 - 05/20/11 at 00:28:06

Hey guys,  I just received an email today stating that my FRX drivers are completed and will be shipping soon, maybe even tomorrow! What that means now is that I really have to get more serious in the woodshop. The baffles are cut and some of the rest of the parts are cut, but now time for high gear! Cool

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #20 - 06/17/11 at 01:51:03

Well guys, I just can't sit here and listen to something like this and not report.  These speakers i.e. ZOB/FRX, are exactly what I have wanted in a speaker system. There is the transient response that is spot on. There is also the ambient detail that is no longer lost on my recordings due to speakers that just don't pick it up well in the first place. These things are important to me. There is a quality in the bass that is natural, harmonically speaking, that I have heard before a long time ago. Pretty impressive. I will be brave here and say that when I owned the HDT speakers, I did not hear what I am hearing today. (maybe that's why I sold them). These are keepers for sure. And in case you wonder, NO, there is no shout, period.  nuff said for now....Greg

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #21 - 08/14/11 at 04:38:27

Well, I spoke with Steve last week, and it sounds a though the FRX drivers that I fried(totally MY mistake), will be re-coned soon. This is just an update, and yes, I am very anxious to get these babies back. I know good sound when I hear it, and am not willing to wait much longer. It's been nearly three months already because of parts availability.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #22 - 08/24/11 at 18:52:10

Just an update. Still waiting to hear about the FRX parts arrival, so the drivers can be re-coned. After this many weeks, I am very anxious to get this going. I did have a brief opportunity to hear these drivers, and it is just unbelievable how good they sounded. The cabinets are made from 13 ply baltic birch plywood. The baffles are made from 1 1/2" cherry, and the backs are made from 3/4" rosewood. When positioned properly, the sound stage was one of the best I have ever heard. Only the bass needed a little more break in time before the 'accident'. Also, when mounting the speakers, I used a type of  t nut instead of wood screws. It is worth the effort, since the machine screws do not loosen up and can be tweeked to just the right torque.

IP Logged
n2djazz
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 04/08/16 at 04:30:38

Now that you have lived with the ZOB for a while, are you still happy with them. Are there any placement issues such as being too close to a wall causing the soundstage to collapse, etc? And I am curious how you fried the drivers?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #24 - 04/13/16 at 07:21:24

Seeing how I still own them, the answer is , I really do like these speakers. I see that in the last post (a looong time ago) that I mentioned the bass needing some help. Not anymore. Two things changed. Most importantly, I have re-positioned the speakers, and found bass to no longer be an issue. Then, a close second is the fact that I had the Rachel amp that I own upgraded with new transformers and a renewed bias. By renewed, I mean a higher bias setting has been chosen for the amp, resulting in some improvements, most notably to me, the bass.
About frying the drivers,,, well, it was totally my fault. As I rll, it had something to do with a Musical fidelity X10V3 buffer. All I can say is that it must have been hooked up incorrectly ,or was not to be supplied with balanced power. I never really did know what I had done, but the result was instant.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print