Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:48:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ERR problem. Any suggestions? (Read 21223 times)
Nick OSiris
Verified Member

ERR problem. Any suggestions?
02/13/11 at 06:34:21

Hi everybody. I've recently purchased a pair of ERR from a chap who'd only owned them for a couple of months (his wife hated the looks!!) but unfortunately they have a problem. One of the tweeters makes no sound.

Now I know what you're all going to say: check and double check all the connections. I assure you that I have, countless times. I've swapped resistors and caps between left and right and the problem remains. Anyone have any bright ideas as to what to try next?

This is so frustrating, as they are potentially the end of a very long journey to find speakers that I can finally forget about and just listen to music! Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Dynavector DV20XH > Roksan Radius 5/Nima > Consonance PM2 > Audion Silver Night MkII Anniversary w/ Fullmusic 300B/c & Siemens Halske CCa > Decware ERR

Also Wells Audio Milo > Audeze LCD-4 for headphone listening.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: ERR problem. Any suggestions?
Reply #1 - 02/13/11 at 19:21:13

Sounds to me like a blown tweeter.   You can get one from Madisound...

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_229_236&products_id=14...

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Nick OSiris
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/13/11 at 22:08:19

Many thanks Steve. Less expensive than I feared too.

Reading various articles, there's one thing I haven't tried yet: connecting a very quiet, bass-less signal directly to the tweeter - I guess that'll tell me if it works! I'll try this tomorrow.

Fortunately I'm coming over to the States in a few weeks so might be able to save myself $35 in shipping charges if I do need to buy a replacement. I'll post an update if and when it's all sorted out.

Dynavector DV20XH > Roksan Radius 5/Nima > Consonance PM2 > Audion Silver Night MkII Anniversary w/ Fullmusic 300B/c & Siemens Halske CCa > Decware ERR

IP Logged
Nick OSiris
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 02/26/11 at 23:03:15

The tweeter is officially knackered. I connected a signal to it directly and only a very faint, un-tweeterlike sound came out. I'm ordering from Madisound on the link Steve has provided above.

UK readers note: Even with the $40 shipping charge this will still be a full twenty quid cheaper than ordering from Swans Europe in Germany. I couldn't find anyone selling them in the UK.

IP Logged
MikeZ@turningpointaudio
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/22/11 at 18:00:41

How is everything now? Sounding right?

WWW   IP Logged
Nick OSiris
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 05/04/11 at 00:42:32

Update: The tweeter took a loooong time to get to me. Don't ask. I have had it for a couple of weeks now though, but haven't quite got round to fitting it yet due to various factors which include: poor time management, mislaying my soldering iron, and preparing for a vulture hunting trip this Friday. When I get back later in the month it'll be top of my list of things to do.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/09/11 at 03:44:54

Quote:
a vulture hunting trip

That is not something one reads every day. Any chance to get the ERR tweeter repaired?

Bob and I discussed mine today. He is putting in the order for the veneer stock, so all three pairs can have the same wood appearance.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Nick OSiris
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 06/09/11 at 11:13:42

ERR now fully working, and what a delight they are. Thanks to Steve for diagnosing the problem at long distance.

Vulture spotted too, so life is good:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19180086@N04/5728167153/in/set-72157626613899857/

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 06/09/11 at 13:43:38

Glad yours are up and running and you're enjoying them!

A pair is shipping to me today! Whoo hoo!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/09/11 at 14:11:19

Congrats Lon! Can't wait to hear your impressions.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/09/11 at 14:16:23

Quote:

Excellent. Your post prompted me to look a few things up. Found out more than I had ever known about Old World and New World vultures. I knew we didn't lack for our own here in Kalifornia, but the DNA evidence about the differences between European and American birds was interesting.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 06/14/11 at 14:49:59

ERR Speakers, without grilles for now, are due later today!

I'm going to be running the system til then, making my IT Radials sing, and getting a solid "audio memory" for comparison.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/14/11 at 16:31:44

Very much looking forward to your listening impressions Lon!

IP Logged
Nick OSiris
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 08/06/11 at 14:43:03

Just to close the saga of my ERR problems: they are now sounding better than ever since I got hold of an Audion Silver Night MkII Anniversary with fancy tube upgrades. 7wpc of single-ended delight. Quite a contrast to the battleship solid state ASR amp and monstrous Hyperion speakers I was rocking before, which were amazing but ridiculous in my small, awkwardly-shaped listening room.

Less importantly but still good news: The ERR cost me less than a third of the price of the Hyperions. The Silver Night cost me less than half the price of the ASR. Proof if proof were needed that just spending more money doesn't necessarily bring increased joy.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 08/06/11 at 15:27:22

Oh mighty Osiris,

(Pardon me, can't help it, I'm a bit of an amateur Egyptologist),

So happy to hear you're so happy with the ERRs.

I have had a pair now for two months and I just bond more deeply with them every day. I just can't imagine every parting with my Torii Mk III and ERRs.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print