Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:00:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OB bass driver to match the FRX? (Read 7779 times)
Brad
Seasoned Member

OB bass driver to match the FRX?
02/09/11 at 11:24:44

Steve, have you thought about finding, or making, a compatable OB bass driver such that OB builders could make a "poor man's" Lotus Granada? That thing has gotten rave reviews but the price is just absolutely STUPID!

I bet you could make something that approaches at least 95% of the sound with a real world price. Better yet would be if you designed an OB specifically for a driver array like that - two bass drivers and one FRX per.

I know your existing ZOB OB design prob sounds great too. I was just thinking that a more standard baffle with more drivers would be an easier build for DIY but with sufficient bass? Dunno, it's just an idea.

WWW   IP Logged
Brad
Seasoned Member

Re: OB bass driver to match the FRX?
Reply #1 - 02/09/11 at 11:25:10

While this is not an easy DIY baffle, it's one of the best looking I've seen.  I don't know how well it works acoustically, and obviously the driver choice has an effect.  But I could Imagine the FRX sounding quite nice in this.  I think Steve could come up with something at least as elegant looking and perhaps easier to build...

WWW   IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #2 - 02/09/11 at 16:08:58

Hello Brad,

This is where you need to spend a great deal of time:

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/index.html

OB is what they do and  they do it very,very well. One or two of their Augies and the FRX I belive would be absolutely incredible.

I don't have the space or I would do that very setup in a heartbeat.

Cheers,               Crazy Bill

IP Logged
walt
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/17/11 at 04:56:14

IP Logged
Hajj
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/17/11 at 19:03:42

Walt,
These are actually the exact drivers used in the Lotus Granada Wink

IP Logged
Brad
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/11/11 at 05:58:00

Bill, yes. I've had a pair of Hawthorne Silver Iris' OB's for some time.  They are nice sounding, but I'm sure the FRX's sound quite a bit different.  One driver and the lower cone moving mass of the FRX I would think makes for a big difference.  Not to mention all the other differences - suspension, motor, etc.  Which is better of course is a matter of opinion, and OB implementation I would think.  

WWW   IP Logged
Brad
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/11/11 at 06:14:21

Btw, regarding the Granada's. I always thought field-coil drivers made allot of sense.  The ability to tweak the sound of the speakers by varying the voltage.  Never understood why they have to cost so much though.  Maybe for the same reasons that good output transformers are more expensive?  Lots of wire and precision build?.... hmmm

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print