Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:32:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CCE (Hazen Grid) Mod on all recent SE84C+ amps? (Read 8454 times)
MarkBlair

CCE (Hazen Grid) Mod on all recent SE84C+ amps?
01/27/11 at 16:54:10

Hi Steve (or anyone else who cares to chime-in) -

I just want to verify that the CCE (Hazen Grid) mod does indeed come standard on all SE84C+ models sold within the last year or so.

I know the May 2009 Audio Paper on the mod says "As of May 2009 all Decware amps that use either of these tubes are manufactured with this mod standard." (referring to the 6P15P-EV [or SV83] and the EL34 tubes).

But it doesn't explicitly mention the mod in either the SE84C+ section of the Decware site, or in the current SE84C+ owner's model.

So I just want to verify that I don't need to consider sending the SE84C+ that I just ordered back for this mod (hope I don't have to as I was relying on that May 2009 statement).  But you can never be too paranoid! Wink

Thanks!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: CCE (Hazen Grid) Mod on all recent SE84C+ amps?
Reply #1 - 01/27/11 at 23:33:12

Yes all SE84C+ are built with the CCE mod since May 2009

WWW   IP Logged
MarkBlair

Reply #2 - 01/28/11 at 03:06:39

Thanks, Steve -- just wanted to verify this.

Also, I'm just about done breaking-in my new SE94C+ amp -- very nice!  Using it to push PMC TB2S+ (what's this with everyone using "+" designations, anyway?! Wink) nearfield monitors in my little personal spare bedroom recording studio.

I wasn't so much looking for audiophile quality sound as being able to clearly hear the effects of any processing I perform during mixing/mastering.  And I think I made a very good decision going with your amp.  I'm using the ground-breaking Nuforce Icon HDP as a preamp (fabulous headphone amp -- using it with Sennheiser HD 600 headphones -- but it also has a very nice USB & S/PDIF DAC, and a very good preamp out), and the effect of everything I've tried to do so far seems surprisingly crystal-clear.

The PMCs have a 90dB efficiency, and get even louder than I require as nearfield monitors (I sit about 30-36 inches away from the speakers).  Per Bob Katz' K-Metering system for mixing/mastering, my target SPL for normal monitoring is about 77dB SPL -- and I've been able to get a 90-92dB SPL (at my listening distance) without any noticeable amp-induced distortion.

And with my K-metering setup, 92dB SPL at my listening distance corresponds to a 0dB signal in my DAW (digital audio workstation).  So of course that means that I have about 15dB headroom over my normal listening level before I risk entering into digital distortion -- and that's pretty much ideal from my point of view.

So -- so far -- this may be pretty close to an ideal solution for me.

Anyway, thanks for responding so quickly -- and I'm very pleased so far.

Mark

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/03/11 at 17:54:14

Quote:
Yes all SE84C+ are built with the CCE mod since May 2009

And just to be clear, this include the ZS as well? I ask only because it is not mentioned on the web pages for either the + or the ZS. And I didn't see it in the owner's manual. However, I did see this in the Hazen Grid paper:

Quote:
As of May 2009 all Decware amps that use either of these tubes are manufactured with this mod standard.

If I missed it, my apologies. Thanks!

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: CCE (Hazen Grid) Mod on all recent SE84C+ amps
Reply #4 - 07/03/11 at 19:46:00

I think that's just an oversight. Those should work perfectly in a ZS.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/03/11 at 21:17:55

Quote:
I think that's just an oversight. Those should work perfectly in a ZS.

That only makes sense, right? It's not like it's going to change my choice of center channel amplification. About the only thing I could see doing differently would be to take the single center channel output and feed it to one or both sides of a Mini Torii or a Torii. The latter is eventually more likely for me, because that way, I would have complete tonal match—or as much mismatch as I might care to roll—across all 5 channels in HT.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print