03/29/24 at 06:32:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
6V6 in triode mode (Read 10581 times)
juanitox
Ex Member

6V6 in triode mode
01/26/11 at 20:18:07

hi ,  can i try my mini torri with 6V6 strapped in triode?  how to proceed to make it works?

rohan

IP Logged
juanitox
Ex Member

Re: 6V6 in triode mode
Reply #1 - 01/27/11 at 19:17:13

i have tried today by puting screen and plate together and feeding the plate with the tube reg output and swapping one 10K resistor on it.  and remove the feedbach resistor.

the voltage on the plate are now 220V  , the regulator are brighter than usual but it seems working .

the sound of the mini torri triode strapping is very relaxed with beautiful tones , perhaps not as clean as it was before . and a little less strong bass.     i will let it some times like that and return to the original setting to compare Wink

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/27/11 at 19:21:37

I would not have done that. Using a 6K6 tube brings down the bass a little bit.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
juanitox
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/27/11 at 21:13:52

i have done it just for fun , but at the end i prefer the penthod mode in this amp.   next step MKP cathode bypass capacitor ,  MKP 5OuF in the power supply  ;)

i have already made  1/2 12AU7 mode to have a little less gain and swap one coupling cap.  put a Vcap CUTF as the only cap in the signal , change all resistor with 2w and 5w Kiwame,  put off the volume pot and tone control.

i will never stoping say thank you to  the decware crew for all the hours of joy that this little amp gave me Grin

IP Logged
savvypaul
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 08/07/19 at 12:36:34

Hi everyone,

Sorry to jump in on an old thread. I'm a newbie and I can't post a new thread yet.

I just purchased a mini Torii from ebay UK (I'm based in England).

The seller states it has been connected to triode operation (but they do not know when or by whom).

I have some questions, along the lines of 'is this a safe buy'?

Is triode connection a good or bad idea?
Can it be converted back to pentode, if desired.
How can I tell if the conversion was done 'properly'?
Any other issues that I should be aware of?

Many thanks, in advance, for your help.

I did also send an email to customer service on Saturday, but haven't yet heard back.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/07/19 at 13:07:59

You should post a picture of the underside of the unit so it is obvious what was done to the unit. How does it sound?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
savvypaul
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 08/07/19 at 13:34:29

Will do so in a few minutes...

IP Logged
savvypaul
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/07/19 at 13:36:32

Thanks, Steve,

Only had it a day - first impressions, it sounds sweet and natural and like real music. A tiny bit curtailed at freq. extremes, perhaps, but very natural. Reminds me of my SPU cartridge. Using it with Klipsch Heresy 3.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/08/19 at 00:55:06

I personally wouldn't know a capacitor or resistor from a gummy bear. But some others here might.

I think it was a waste of time to put this amp in triode mode. I think how it was designed is optimal.

When you find out if some bloak buggered it up, and change it around as it should have been, it will sound even better.

By the way, get rid of those JJ tubes. They will fail on you when you least expect it.

55   IP Logged
savvypaul
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 08/08/19 at 10:10:09

I have the option to return it. I don't want to spend more money putting it back to how it 'should be' and replacing dodgy valves. Better to wait for the right one to come along.

I was a bit wary about buying an amp that doesn't have a local dealer / distributor, but this forum and the regular contributions from Steve gave me some confidence. I guess Steve is away at the moment, though. Never received a reply to my email.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 08/08/19 at 10:53:37

There's a good chance this is bone-stock and the seller just didn't understand how Steve has implemented the circuit and misconstrued something said about the amp.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
savvypaul
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 08/08/19 at 11:03:22

Thanks, Lon,

I guess 'bone-stock' is the equivalent of our 'bog-standard'  :)

Hopefully, Steve can see this at some time soon and let me know either way.

Thanks again for your help, guys.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print