Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 08:08:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii Mk III and Magnepan Speakers? (Read 10060 times)
ny10522
Ex Member

Torii Mk III and Magnepan Speakers?
12/28/10 at 01:03:58

Has anyone tried the Torii with Magnepan speakers? I have a pair of Magneplanar MG1.6/QRs which I love. The speakers require gobs of current to "sparkle." I would be pairing the amp with a McIntosh C220 tube preamplifier. Have tried the Decware Integrated, Taboo and Vaughn Carina tube amps with the Maggies but none provided the bass "punch" I am used to. I currently power them with a BEL 1001 solid state amp and miss the liquid sound I get with my Decware gear matched with Radial 3s. Also worried about the potential to blow fuses with the Torii as the speakers suck up current.

IP Logged
JLM
Ex Member

Re: Torii Mk III and Magnepan Speakers?
Reply #1 - 12/29/10 at 22:20:47

I'm in the same boat.

I've tried a 7 wpc modded Tripath amp with my 91 dB/w/m speakers and it did remarkably well, but my current 40 watt monoblocks added huge amounts of resolution and impact.  I also had an original Torii in house for a couple of weeks (it was wonderful and added a lot of "jump" over the 7 wpc amp).

I know tube amps soft clip so you can push them harder and most tube amps have power supplies that are more overbuilt than typical solid state.  And its my opinion that with the extra body that tubes provide a tube watt sounds louder.  But I'm still concerned, because I don't want "enough" power, I want PLENTY of power.

IP Logged
ny10522
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/30/10 at 06:49:07

Today I heard both the new Magnepan 1.7 and the Quad 2905. Both are a definite step up from the 1.6s but it were the Quads that really blew me away! Wonder what the Torii would be like on a pair of Quads since they are not as power hungry as the Maggies.

IP Logged
JLM
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/31/10 at 10:46:10

I heard the Quad 989 very briefly at an audiofest (the room was very full, but I heard enough to know that the sound was very special).   Smiley

But these are odd ducks.   Huh

86 dB/w/m at 8 ohms (OK) but the impedance runs 4 - 20 ohms?

And they stop around 98 dB (roughly 16 wpc)?

Time to talk with Steve.

IP Logged
ny10522
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/05/11 at 16:29:18

As much as I liked the Quads, reliability is suspect. The speakers are manufactured in China, the warranty is only one year, and a number of owners have had panel problems, particularly with the 989s. About 3 months after I bought a Quad CDP-2, it started skipping. Unit was replaced. Six months later, the new unit started skipping. Skips maybe two or three times per disc and doesn´t even play CDs ripped on my computer. A $60 Technics player can easily play ripped CDs without skiipping by the way. Can´t begin to tell you the frustration and aggravation over this unit. I now use the unit solely for the DACs and the digital inputs (which is the primary reason I bought it anyway). My main player is a Sony CD/DVD 685 modified by Steve for tube output and it is rock solid. Sad reflection on the reliability of Quad.
Just put in an order for the new Magnepan 3.7s. They should arrive in early March and after the breakin I may try them with the Torrii to see if there is an improvement over the Bel 1001 amp I´m using. If anyone in the New York area is interested in buying my present Magnepan 1.6/QRs, please message me. Pickup only on these.  

IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/01/11 at 01:37:51

I am not that familiar with amp topology, still I would be surprised if any Decware amp could satisfactorily drive the Magnepans.  I looked at the specs on the amp.  It says this:
POWER INTO 3.5 OR 8 OHMS: 24.6 WATTS RMS PER CHANNEL

As I mentioned, I am not that familar with amp topology  but this is the first time I can recall where the power is the same into 8 ohms and, in this case, 3.5 ohms.  I am accustomed to seeing the power, if not double, at least increase when driving a 4 ohm load vs an 8 ohm load.

So I will stand aside and let someone A). Familar with the Tori MK III tell me I am wrong about the Magnepans, and maybe B).  Why the power into 3.5 ohms is the same as 8 ohms and why it doesn't matter.

IP Logged
walt
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/02/11 at 19:56:53

First off let's clear up something about Maggie's ---- they do not demand alot of current.  They have a even resistive load that makes them work real well with tubes.  They are a single ended planer driver that after a point seems to want more and more power to deliver addl volume.   So yes the Torii will work but 25 watts is not  optimum.  There are other speakers that rated the same will play louder.  
 As far as the rating of the Torii 25 watts at different impedence loads--that is the product of any amps using an output transformer.  
Walt

IP Logged
mac5u
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/03/11 at 00:50:26

First off let's clear up something about Maggie's ---- they do not demand alot of current."
--Walt

Hi Walt.  

That has not been my experience.  In the 5 or 6 different set-ups I have had an opportunity to hear Maggies, when driven by higher current amps, they sounded better.  

Hopefully, someone who has expereince with both will step up and help with your question.  Still, the nice thing about Decware is you can try products in your home.

Thanks for the explanation regarding the Torii delivering the same power into different impedance loads.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print