04/24/24 at 14:52:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
opinions please (Read 8849 times)
0Hz-20kHz please
Ex Member

opinions please
08/16/10 at 11:43:24

Hey guys, I have a few questions. I work at a roller skating rink and was talking to the boss about putting a new sound system in for our DJ skating sessions. My thoughts are to place a hwk at each end of the oval shaped rink for subs with two flown 3ways for mid/highs above them. Just curious bout the dispertion characteristics of the hwk, with one at each end I am hoping to achieve an even coverage, what do you guys think? and also recommendations for drivers? they will probably be crossed at around 80-90Hz maybe bit lower, and wont need to go any lower than about 25-30Hz. They need to be Loud and Tight with good dispersion.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Cheers
David

IP Logged
gildcm
Verified Member

Re: opinions please
Reply #1 - 08/16/10 at 18:19:31

I had good results from the Imperial (Regular version running as a sub) in that size of venue. I don't know about the HMK (never built one). I would think you would have to load both with 4 drivers each.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #2 - 08/16/10 at 21:49:44

I'd vote for the Imperial too, but...

If this roller rink has the same type of acoustics that I've experienced in every ice rink I've ever been in, your biggest problem is going to be taming the echo and boom rather than what type of speaker enclosure to use.  From your post, it sounds like you have a system now that you use at fairly high volume.  What is it and how does it sound?  Is the bass too boomy and thats why you are thinking of upgrading?

If you place a sub at each end of the rink you are going to get phase issues as you move around the rink.  If the time it takes for the sound from speaker A to get to a listener is 1/2 wavelength (of the note being played) longer or shorter than time it takes for the sound from speaker B to get to a listener then the 2 waveforms will cancel and the volume will be substantially reduced.  Likewise, if the time is the same or off by 1 wavelength  the 2 waveforms will add and the volume will noticeably increase.  To start off, I'd try all subs in the same place.  If that is unacceptable, more than 2 subs might be your only option so you can place them around the rink and basically guarantee that you will never be perfectly in phase or out of phase.

If it were me, I'd beg/borrow/steal something (anything), set it up where you think you want it, and listen to it.  Then work on the acoustics of the room until this setup sounds good (or at least ok).  Then maybe think about different speakers...

I've also got a couple of Imperials available, but looking at your email address, it looks like you are in Australia...shipping from Minnesota would be interesting  :)

Dan

IP Logged
0Hz-20kHz please
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/17/10 at 07:03:18

The current system does not include subs, so adding bass and improving on the current mid/highs is my goal. Acoustics is not so much an issue as there alot of diffusion present, plus the costs involved in improving an area that size would blow out the already limited budget haha because of size restrictions, the Hwk is my only option out of steves designs, I am happy to scale for 18s if this would help. I am just concerned about dispersion and driver choice to achieve a loud enough output from about 80Hz Down to 25/30 Hz. Also orientation of the hwk, would laying it down yield better results? Any help is appreciated
David

IP Logged
0Hz-20kHz please
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/23/10 at 12:04:15

Has anybody got any opinions to offer?
I just want to make sure this is going to be a suitable enclosure for the intended application. Any help is appreciated
David

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 08/23/10 at 16:41:06

A single Imperial with a single 15 inch driver would outperform a HWK with four 15 inch drivers...  That said, scaling a HWK for 18's would bring the cabinet size to 80% that of an imperial.   No question, the most amount of bass for the least amount of money is going to be an imperial, which can also be laid on it's side.

WWW   IP Logged
0Hz-20kHz please
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/02/10 at 12:31:09

The issue I have is not to do with the physical size of the enclosure, it is more to do with its output method. To elaborate, my plan is to mount a Hwk to the outside of the rink barrier at each end, and then by changing the top port to face the same direction as the bottom ports, I will cut holes of the same size in the rink barrier. The reason for this is that the rink walls are approx 2 meters high, half plastic and half plexi glass. So this means that the only place suitable for an imperial is flown 2 meters high, which is not aesthetically practical.
However 3 small holes cut into the lower (plastic) half of the rink barrier would be suitable. So the only thing I need to know is if this design will have the correct output and dispersion characteristics to suit this application. Also ideas on the best driver to achieve this.
All help is very much appreciated.
David

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print