Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:12:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imperial as center channel? (Read 7446 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Imperial as center channel?
08/03/10 at 23:36:07

Imperials have been used as auxiliary as sub woofers, but how about using a single full range Imperial as a center channel with left & right information summed; while using smaller speakers as the mains?  This way the Imperial could be against the back wall out of the way while smaller speakers are pulled out into the room.  The small speakers can do whatever that particular model excels at, while the Imperial adds the Imperial bigness and twin 15 crack!

P.S.  I am thinking of this as Hi-Fi audio, not as cinema where we more normally see center channels.

IP Logged
Henry
Verified Member

Re: Imperial as center channel?
Reply #1 - 08/04/10 at 10:31:41

Sounds like a satellite/sub-woofer arrangement, which would
work nicely once dialed in completely Wink

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/04/10 at 20:44:48

Hi Henry,
Satellite & sub-woofer is the only way I have seen a third channel used. But I keep wondering if a full range third channel might be a good idea with this Imperial as a way of getting the Imperial sound qualities in a more compact system, i.e. not needing a stereo pair of Imperials pulled out into the room.  Especially when using main speakers which do not have large drivers so that big driver whack! is missing.

IP Logged
gildcm
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/05/10 at 18:34:25

I mainly have used mine as a sub, but I have used it as a quote unquote center channel. I have only built one and ran a mono signal to it running full range with a tweeter horn on top. It sounded great.

The Imperial that Jensen designed was orginally a mono setup and it made the music sound like you were in the room with the orginal source playing live.

I think you would only have to run it full range and put a mono signal to it and not needing the mains.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/07/10 at 08:12:51

Thanks for the report, gildcm.  
That Imperial is an exciting speaker!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print