03/29/24 at 13:28:32 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Radial Sub reviews? (Read 7338 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Radial Sub reviews?
07/19/10 at 12:06:02

Did anybody buy the now discontinued Radial Sub?
Any listening impressions?
I read that Paul designed the Ultraflex for use with the Imperial sub. I thought perhaps this smaller sub might work well and fit the room decor better.  
If it is a good sounding speaker, what are the chances of adding builder's plans to the web site since a completed version is no longer available?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Radial Sub reviews?
Reply #1 - 07/19/10 at 13:01:21

Brian,

While it was a very good sounding sub, when we lost all the tubes for the RL series we also lost all the sub tubes. It was a shame, but it has also turned out to be a God sin of sorts. The ERR's quite frankly don't need a sub.

If the plans are still around, which I doubt,  I'm sure Steve wouldn't have any problem publishing them. The problem I could see, would be the size of the tube isn't readily available.  In most cases, you could just build a square tube the same size as the round tube, but the ingenious way Steve configured the port, relied on the outer circumference of the tube, which I see no way to duplicate that using a square box.

Hope this helps,
Bob Z  

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/21/10 at 07:34:34

Thanks, Bob.
Was the Radial sub a Transmission Line, or a Bass Reflex speaker, or how would you describe the working principle?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 07/21/10 at 14:03:10

Brian,

It was a 4th order bandpass design....I remember when Steve first sent it to me in its raw form and asked to make it look good. My first thought was to install the wires out  the top and write TNT sub on the side to make it look like a big firecracker. Probably wouldn't have been a big seller.

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/23/10 at 00:33:33

Ha Ha Ha!  No, maybe not.

Thank you for the info.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print