Send Topic Print
SE34.1 (Read 9781 times)
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

SE34.1
07/18/10 at 22:23:37

Just gotta tell someone about this....I got ahold of a se34.1, and I cant believe how close it sounds to the sv83m monos I used to own. Sure there isnt all the transparency, but in the ballpark still.   The amp has the most adaptability of most any I have owned, so now the speakers are matched better than any guessing game could insure. I wonder if the Hazen mod is worth the time for this amp, and whether or not I will replace the belden input wires with something better. Any ideas?   Greg Cool

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: SE34.1
Reply #1 - 07/19/10 at 03:13:22

Congrats 4!

Well, this is just an educated guess, but I think the Mod would be appropriate for this amp.

Love the EL34 amps from Decware, they're so musical.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 07/19/10 at 04:06:37

The CCE mod for this amp is like adding a zero to the price.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 07/19/10 at 04:25:46

Steve,  good to hear from you. Of course, I know that you communicate with many people, and it was a couple of years ago, but I still remember the phone conversation that we had. You found it interesting that after auditioning a piece of gear, our acoustic memory can change. So, the next time we listen, we have expectations, but our ears may hear things differently. I have always remembered that , and used it with my own auditions/experience.  
 This 'cce' mod you speak of, can it be done by you, or could I do it myself. And also, what does it consist of?
 Always looking for another step up.....Greg

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 07/27/10 at 04:13:49

Update:  I have completed the cce mod, and replaced signal wires in the amp with a 20 ga. solid strand cable. This cable is tightly twisted, is made of silver plated copper, and has a insulation usually found on magnet wire(cooked on, and very thin).
  So, you ask, 'how does it all sound?' Ok, well, the sound did change significantly. It has a more prominent presence in the lower midrange. I have noticed less of a difference in the treble, except to say it is not as sibilant in the 2-3k range. Thats good 'cuz, that was my main bitch with many single driver speakers. The bass is more pronounced and deeper. I know, this description is not very flowery...just like the Decware sound itself. Just an honest opinion.....Greg

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/27/10 at 16:30:17

I highly recommend the CCE cap on the output tubes for the Decware EL-34 SET amps of any vintage. I had Steve (actually Dennis at Decware) do this to my SE34I.1 1st gen. integrated and it is the most amazingly good sounding 7 watts I have ever heard. With a single output tube on each side running at about 3.5 watts one cannot believe the weight and power of presentation this amp is capable of. It is a Zen select on steroids. I have said before that I suspect that the SE34I.2 that is currently offered NEW from Decware with the CCE caps installed as OEM could be the best SET offering for the $$ you can get anywhere. Stone quiet too!

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/02/10 at 03:25:38

This is good news about the CCE mod for the SE original.  I will have to wrap mine up and sent it in.

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print