03/28/24 at 18:53:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ribbon problem, (Read 733 times)
IMP
Ex Member

Ribbon problem,
07/12/10 at 20:07:46

New Err's installed and been done some listening test and straight off I knew things were not quite right. I wasn't sure what sort of sound stage to expect but I did expect the vocals to take centre stage but they just didn't. Getting close up it was obvious the ribbon tweeter is the culprit. One gives a nice clear sound the other all thin and screechy. The connections look fine to me but I'm not experienced enough to look at the ribbon itself to see if al is ok.

Any Suggestions as to what I should do or check?

Thanks

Ian

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Ribbon problem,
Reply #1 - 07/12/10 at 23:39:50

Are both resistors the same value?  That could be a culprit.

I'd redo all the connections again if possible. . . I wish I had a quarter for every time I thought the connections were fine in my setup and I had something loose or wrong. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #2 - 07/12/10 at 23:57:11

If those speakers have the resistor and capacitor mounted in the jack plate where you can get to them, you could swap R and C with the other speaker to eliminate or prove if R or C or the connection is the problem.

Dan

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 07/13/10 at 02:43:46

Ian,

Check what both Lon and Dan suggested first, sounds like a loose binding post, tighten them all up.

If that doesn't work.... you can run a straight piece of wire from the main binding posts to the back of the tweeter. Make darn sure the volume is as low as you can, with very light acoustical music, and no bass content. Only do this for just a few seconds to see if the tweeter clears up.

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
IMP
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/21/10 at 20:02:10

Not sure which binding post but after giving them all a bit of a turn everything seems fine.

thanks for the help.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 07/21/10 at 20:37:30

Great!

I had a loose connection on my IT Radials and it sounded werid, distorted, and I was surprised that it was a loose connection.  Glad yours was as easy to solve.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #6 - 07/21/10 at 22:38:49

That is good news Wink just what I suspected....here is what happens and a good reason to check connections for the first month or so, it seems after that they never come loose. If you do change a cap, or resistor check again for awhile.

Here's what happens....the edges are pretty sharp, so they make good contact with the wire, the closer you get to the bottom of the wire bore the more chance you have of getting it tight before it reaches the very bottom of the bore, so you think its tight, then it moves just a bit and its loose again. This is all because the bores are large and the leads are so small. Once it finds the true bottom of the bores arc it stays forever.

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print