Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:38:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Steve Deckert's listening room #2 (Read 28280 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Steve Deckert's listening room #2
06/27/10 at 15:04:54

At the same time I enjoyed my listening room #1, I also had this one in a detached building in the back yard. I spent a LOT of hours out here listening to a seemingly endless combination of gear.

I created an elevated platform to set all the gear on and installed a pair of Imperials that I made on the front wall. Pictured above is a pair of HDT prototypes I was also working on at the time.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Steve Deckert's listening room #2
Reply #1 - 06/27/10 at 15:13:09

A con artist talked me into selling him these imperials and I packed them up and shipped them to him on a corporate purchase order, never to here from him again, nor get paid. The president of Macintosh called me and seems he also got swindled by the same asshole.  Anyway that sucked.  These Imperials used behind the speakers were an incredible experience.  So much so that during a demo at the 2004 Decfest when I invite everyone into my home for a 3 day listening deal, two people went home afterwards and immediately built a pair for themselves!  I never needed more than a few watts to drive them and at 22Hz they would shake the concrete.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 06/27/10 at 15:14:14

Anyway, here is another shot of the room and the location of the listening chair.  In this shot I was listening to a pair of our Radial Loudspeakers, model RL3's.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 06/27/10 at 15:14:44

Another shot with the production pair of HDT's, HDT MK II's and in white, the NFX's. Sometimes with the NFX's I would put my chair up on the platform 3 feet back from the speakers and listen in the dark like a giant pair of headphones....  Stimulating is the best single word I can find to describe it.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 06/27/10 at 15:16:36

As you may have noticed... I built another pair of Imperials, the Imperial SO. (Sub only)

One of the great things about the original imperials that I had, was the sympathetic bass they produced when exited by any other speaker in the room.  Everything had great bass and you never had to actually turn the imperials on!  As cool as it was, I determined it was a problem for ME because I was using the room to evaluate speaker designs and couldn't tell how much bass the speakers really had.  

The Imperial SO's solved that problem with a radical departure from there previous design.  This set had ZERO sympathetic bass or resonance and only created sound when they were turned on, making it possible to accurately evaluate other speakers in the room.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 06/27/10 at 15:19:52

And here is another shot of the room from the listening chair if you turn 90 degrees to the right.  It was fun to make music in here - record it in here and play it back in here.  This is how I got the timbre right on most of our speakers and amplifiers.

By far this was the most fun and productive listening room I ever had.  Over 4000 hours of live two track recordings spanning over 10 years were captured and listened to in here.

- Thanks for listening,

Steve Deckert

WWW   IP Logged
mpanwar
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 07/21/10 at 12:27:23

Are those Ohm Walsh's from NYC ??

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #7 - 07/21/10 at 15:37:41

Ahem, I see a pair of Radials!!
(doubt you'd find Ohm stuff in Steve's listening room, I've been wrong before though!!!)
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #8 - 07/21/10 at 21:40:09

Don,

You would be correct, early RL3's are in the picture.  Doug has brought his Ohm's to Decfest two years in a row now, so yes there has been Ohm's in Steve's listening room. Not a bad thing.;-)

Bob Z

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #9 - 07/21/10 at 22:30:35

I agree!
I well remember hearing a pair yrs. ago.
I wanted them!!
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
don pettit
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/27/11 at 23:41:03

hi,  just doing this to kill time while waiting for my zcd200i to be built.  steve,  why don't you write a book?  all the stuff you have been through would make a great read!  what, no time? stay up later!!  instead of knocking off at two in the morning try quitting at 3:330 or four.  what, you need rest?  rest later!! stuff to be built!!  c'mon, man up!!  love ya, steve!  don pettit, long beach, washington

IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #11 - 10/16/15 at 04:15:50

I love the way the imperials look though I have never heard them....I love the way my wife looks too so I probably will never get them.  we are planning on next years Decfest to listen to as much as possible on our way to visit my home town Nashville Ind. I'm bringing Her with me and She lets me buy stuff sometimes.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #12 - 10/23/15 at 00:08:28

No shAt!

Glad to visit this space in 2005! I knew more was to come = ZMA!

.....Awesome, down by the railroad tracks (and Lake), I remember Larry Senior, may he rest in peace, DeVon.

From post above.....to two Track:

"And here is another shot of the room from the listening chair if you turn 90 degrees to the right.  It was fun to make music in here - record it in here and play it back in here.  This is how I got the timbre right on most of our speakers and amplifiers.

By far this was the most fun and productive listening room I ever had.  Over 4000 hours of live two track recordings spanning over 10 years were captured and listened to in here".

- Thanks for listening,

Steve Deckert

......Thank you Steve and DeVon & Ziggy.
PS-The Basset Hounds always liked me.............. . Except, for one nipe in 2005, ............he/or she was protective.....we made up in 2008!
We made friends on the Deck at the new House> I bet they still hate Chris?!

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #13 - 11/10/15 at 05:13:09

A passive sympathetic Bass generator that isn't so big as those beautiful speakers, could be a helpful thing to have in a listening room, just thinking....

IP Logged
martin

Reply #14 - 03/25/16 at 15:38:14

Steve, do you have recordings of the band playing that could be downloaded?  I'd love to hear some of it.

IP Logged
ClayAnderson2
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 12/22/16 at 08:52:06

Good post ! thank you

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print